St James' Park

Delima

:lol: fair, and equally artisan cafes may miss the ready access to hipster unpasteurised town moor milk

Edited by OpenC

17 minutes ago, OpenC said:

It's already got a fuck off dual carriageway across it, and a golf course.  It's not like it's been too carefully preserved so far :)

I feel like the cows would be happier cows 25 miles north in rural Northumberland.

The big hill is just spoil from digging the central motorway in the 60s. There was open cast mining on part of it up to the 40s. And from an ecological point of view it's just a giant monoculture of grass for cow grazing. Its absurd to think of it as a natural landscape just because it's empty and open.

I only ventured to the Town Moor a couple of times during my years up in Newcastle so I'm not well-placed to comment but will do anyway because this is the internet... but from a distance it seems to me that its big weakness (as a piece of public open space) is that it's severed from its surroundings by main roads along every inch of its perimeter. Some of them will be less busy than others obviously but it nevertheless means that the site doesn't appear well-connected to any other leisure networks (the sheer size of it is responsible for that too). So rather than being one 'bit' of a wider dog-walk, for instance, it's basically a destination in and of itself, and probably an undesirable one because it's surrounded by roads.

If there was any notion to maximise its potential then it should start with getting more out of it as a piece of public open space rather than building on it. 

Yeah, actually I've basically never walked on the town moor because I think of it as too far away. That's not really geographical distance, it's more accessibility.

But on the other hand the people who use it for running and cycling etc do seem to love it. 

35 minutes ago, OpenC said:

:lol: fair, and equally artisan cafes may miss the ready access to hipster unpasteurised town moor milk

Straight from the udder to the grande salted caramel mocha. Wouldn't have mine any other way.

54 minutes ago, OpenC said:

It's already got a fuck off dual carriageway across it, and a golf course.  It's not like it's been too carefully preserved so far :)

I feel like the cows would be happier cows 25 miles north in rural Northumberland.

Would be even happier in the safe standing section.

59 minutes ago, LFEE said:

All about money and very little of it about. There was a load of trees planted recently by us in one part (can’t remember where exactly) however some of the nearby residents cut them down overnight “allegedly” due to them not wanting their views blocked.

Will be interesting if NUFC do move from their current site to say somewhere like the Arena site as that would eventually cost the Freeman a huge chunk of their income. Not sure if we are protected by the long term Leasehold length agreed or if they can just cut and run. 

Interesting point about the Freemen's potential loss of income - not thought about that or any consequences.

I seem to remember there were some 'issues' between the council and NUFC in the '60s, '70s and '80s. Would need to delve into the history books to recall...

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But on the other hand the people who use it for running and cycling etc do seem to love it. 

in 1965 the council/freemen of the cows proposed a competition for the moor and this won £2000
Town-Moor1965web-1024x691.thumb.jpg.44894a7f386219bfebadae9173d7fe3a.jpg

Instead of "the town fair" stick a football stadium in and it would be magnificent
https://newcastle-arts-centre.co.uk/forgotten-green-plan-for-newcastle/

Hoppings can use the crappy bit of land next to the golf course

Edited by Arknor

I walk on the town moor quite often. Mainly cos the durg loves it.

For most of the year if you stray off the paved paths you're up to your knees in clarts. And 68% of it is covered in cow shite. And the Hoppings is absolutely rank.

There's been a smallpox hospital there and a racecourse with a grandstand and also an aerodrome. So why can't we borrow a corner and have a decent footy stadium, eh ? 

Edited by bobbydazzla

This discussion seems to assume that the Freemen would stand in the way of a stadium on part of the Town Moor. The Freemen supported the Castle Leazes proposal in 1997, so there's nothing to suggest they wouldn't again, or on a different part of the Town Moor.

48 minutes ago, tgarve said:

The easiest and best thing they could do would be to allow selection of seats like you could before if you gain in the ballot 

Unfortunately that’s now far from easy with the introduction of the ballot.

27 minutes ago, SteV said:

Unfortunately that’s now far from easy with the introduction of the ballot.

How- you could select seats last season? 
and that basically was a ballot also

1 hour ago, tgarve said:

The easiest and best thing they could do would be to allow selection of seats like you could before if you gain in the ballot 

It would be better but I’m not sure it would make things amazing. The vast majority of people in SJP sit in the same seat every game. 

2 minutes ago, tgarve said:

How- you could select seats last season? 
and that basically was a ballot also

Because you’ve got people applying to the ballot in groups now.

So let’s say a dad is successful in getting three tickets in the ballot for him and his two kids.

Then there’s a window at X time when you’re supposed to go on and select your seats. Dad is busy at the time this window opens and can’t get on until later. By which time there’s no three seats left together. How’s that going to work for him?

I do agree that they need to come up with some kind of way to let people have at least partial selection of where they sit. However, it’s not as simple as saying ‘just do what they did last season’ (assuming they’re keeping the ballot).

Just now, SteV said:

Because you’ve got people applying to the ballot in groups now.

So let’s say a dad is successful in getting three tickets in the ballot for him and his two kids.

Then there’s a window at X time when you’re supposed to go on and select your seats. Dad is busy at the time this window opens and can’t get on until later. By which time there’s no three seats left together. How’s that going to work for him?

I do agree that they need to come up with some kind of way to let people have at least partial selection of where they sit. However, it’s not as simple as saying ‘just do what they did last season’ (assuming they’re keeping the ballot).

True I feel like you could apply in groups before but maybe I’m wrong

1 minute ago, tgarve said:

True I feel like you could apply in groups before but maybe I’m wrong

It wasn't a ballot last season. It was purely 1st come 1st served. I managed to get us 4 seats together for the final home game of last season v Leicester in the back row of the Gallowgate courtesy of having 4 linked accounts and 9 different browsers open when tickets went on sale.

1 hour ago, Jackie Broon said:

This discussion seems to assume that the Freemen would stand in the way of a stadium on part of the Town Moor. The Freemen supported the Castle Leazes proposal in 1997, so there's nothing to suggest they wouldn't again, or on a different part of the Town Moor.

There’s no reason that they’d block a Castle Leazes application given that they didn’t previously, but there’s nothing to suggest that they would support building on a different part of the Moor, either. 

Great article and photos of the Town Moor racecourse (until 1881) and grandstand. 

There was also the Newcastle Exhibition (on Exhibition Park in 1927). It would be interesting if the Exhibition Park/Jesmond end could ever be used and a green land transfer is given back for Leazes Terrace. Surely there’s be plenty of the Moor still left (it is massive like!)

https://www.northeastheritagelibrary.co.uk/sports-archive/4022/town-moor-racecourse

Edited by TheGuv

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

There was also the Newcastle Exhibition (on Exhibition Park in 1927

North East Coast Exhibition 1929

The green field on the left side is where the RVI now is and that small patch of trees in the top left corner is the bottom of castle leazes moor. the road Infront of those trees is Richardson Road.

Planes looking from Jesmond

EPW026575.thumb.jpg.e50b8982d9cee5a8119887169558ff86.jpg

2:50 starts going a bit racist with "African Village" OMG

If they can build that massive thing they can sure stick a footy ground on it, not like it's a natural landscape is it

Edited by Arknor