St James' Park

Delima

1 minute ago, OpenC said:

Personally speaking I would rather they ran us like a Leicester than a PSG, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that :)

I want to see them invest aggressively initially especially into infrastructure so we can stand on our own two feet. 

1 hour ago, TBG said:

Not a dig, but can we please get over the notion that just because the Chronicle isn't reporting what size screw heads are being used, it must mean the club aren't actively looking/planning.

Also people forget we realistically wont do anything to SJP til 2028 thanks to the Euros and the huge logistical task of the Gallowgate foundations should we stay put.

2 hours ago, SteV said:

How do you get round the issue of people (families being the main example) who have applied and been successful as a group and there not being seats together by the time they get on to the site?

Yeah that's a very valid point tbf. 

3 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Listening to the athletic podcast and they are discussing man united stadiums and sir rats grand plans had me wondering why are we so slow? Our owners have been in place much longer and yet besides a few comments patient lip service and a “feasibility study” we’ve heard nothing more about  it’s been rather quiet. 

Do we assume it’s not a priority? What’s everyone’s thoughts 

It's because we have 2-3 wildly different options with different costs, barriers, outcomes. They have to be explored fully before you commit to one or another. The club are undoubtedly working on it.

2 hours ago, SteV said:

How do you get round the issue of people (families being the main example) who have applied and been successful as a group and there not being seats together by the time they get on to the site?

Get on quicker and buy together? As it would be if there was general sale/free for all like there is at most other clubs in the world. But this way you know there is a set number of tickets and an equal number of purchasers so you've got a pretty good chance of getting what you want.

If you end up having to buy slightly apart than that's a fact of life, or you simply return the tickets if it doesn't work. Or you could have the option to decide only to commit to 2 rather than 3-4 and the others are returned.

Got to admit I really don't see how it's an issue. If anything it's better than the current situation where families are e.g. going in for 4 together and missing out altogether, at least this way they'd have the option to then go for 2+2 or 3 together etc.

Edited by ponsaelius

12 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

It's because we have 2-3 wildly different options with different costs, barriers, outcomes. They have to be explored fully before you commit to one or another. The club are undoubtedly working on it.

Not saying they aren’t or your wrong but they also have the same considerations in terms of build new or revamp. 

I anticipate we will expand btw, and it will be a mistake imo as it won’t drive enough revenue.  

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Get on quicker and buy together? As it would be if there was general sale/free for all like there is at most other clubs in the world. But this way you know there is a set number of tickets and an equal number of purchasers so you've got a pretty good chance of getting what you want.

If you end up having to buy slightly apart than that's a fact of life, or you simply return the tickets if it doesn't work. Or you could have the option to decide only to commit to 2 rather than 3-4 and the others are returned.

Got to admit I really don't see how it's an issue. If anything it's better than the current situation where families are e.g. going in for 4 together and missing out altogether, at least this way they'd have the option to then go for 2+2 or 3 together etc.

They won’t go back down that route as that was more or less the whole argument for having the ballot in the first place.

You know exactly what would happen - someone would get tickets with their kids in the ballot, they wouldn’t get on the site in time (whether for good reason or otherwise) then wouldn’t be able get seats with their kids and the whole thing would kick off on Twitter or elsewhere. The club don’t want any part of that if they can avoid it.

If they want to allow people to pick their seats (or a more specific area of seats) - which I do totally agree they should be looking to do - it’s going to have to be done pre-ballot draw.

Watched a podcast last night and it was rumoured that feasibility study has said 6k more seats possible.

If that was the case and I would imagine the costs would be astronomical, surely at this point a new stadium is the option.

If we can’t even get above 60k and I’d guess a big proportion of the 6k seats would be corporate, it just seems pointless staying at SJP, as any development wouldn’t be transformative in terms of finances, or letting more fans see the team.

Just now, Whitley mag said:

Watched a podcast last night and it was rumoured that feasibility study has said 6k more seats possible.

If that was the case and I would imagine the costs would be astronomical, surely at this point a new stadium is the option.

If we can’t even get above 60k and I’d guess a big proportion of the 6k seats would be corporate, it just seems pointless staying at SJP, as any development wouldn’t be transformative in terms of finances, or letting more fans see the team.

6k? If correct, that is shit and anyone who doesn’t see it as stunting is part of the problem. No doubt it’s the old timers and “I’m alright Jack” season ticket holders that are moaning about relocation who are pissing on progression.

4 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

What podcast is that? I’d like to have a listen to it. 

I have never believed staying in the exact same location was ever a realistic option, for multiple reasons, including the inability to expand much and the disruption to revenue while you upgrade by a few thousand. Also, St James just was not build to maximize revenue.

If fans want to stay close by then Leazes Park/Castle Leazes is the place, as Sir John Hall already identified.

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Don’t mind the kid? Someone who spends the vast majority of their time making stuff up for attention?

Doesn’t come across bad on that podcast, talks some good sense in relation to Howe and tactics.

2 hours ago, OverThere said:

I have never believed staying in the exact same location was ever a realistic option, for multiple reasons, including the inability to expand much and the disruption to revenue while you upgrade by a few thousand. Also, St James just was not build to maximize revenue.

If fans want to stay close by then Leazes Park/Castle Leazes is the place, as Sir John Hall already identified.

Hmm. John Hall never identified a thing in his life except for the principles of Thatcherism. His 'advisors' suggested he focus on Castle Leazes - just as they suggested he buy Newcastle rather than Sunderland.

14 minutes ago, TomYam said:

Hmm. John Hall never identified a thing in his life except for the principles of Thatcherism. His 'advisors' suggested he focus on Castle Leazes - just as they suggested he buy Newcastle rather than Sunderland.

Well whomever identified Castle Leazes they did it for a reason. My point is, that work must be floating around somewhere that the current owners could read and see why that site was preferred. For instance, the issues regarding SJP are no different now from what they were then. The main difference from the 90s I would think is that there may be different brown field sites available now to then.

Given it seems from a fan perspective and a transport infrastructure perspective that being close to the city center would be a better solution then Castle Leazes would appear to be the obvious choice. Somehow the owners have to overcome the NIMBYs.

Edited by OverThere

1 minute ago, OverThere said:

Well whomever identified Castle Leazes they did it for a reason. My point is, that work must be floating around somewhere that the current owners could read and see why that site was preferred. For instance, the issues regarding SJP are no different now from what they were then. The main difference from the 90s I would think is that there may be different brown field sites available now to then.

Given it seems from a fan perspective and a transport infrastructure perspective that being close to the city center would be a better solution then Castle Leazes would appear to be the obvious choice.

You're right. It's an obvious choice as the land is a blank space and those that don't wish to move can be reconciled with this tiny migration northwestward.

32 minutes ago, TomYam said:

You're right. It's an obvious choice as the land is a blank space and those that don't wish to move can be reconciled with this tiny migration northwestward.

I remember this from 1997 . . . 

1997 - Newcastle United proposals to move St James' Park to Castle Leazes (2).jpg

11 hours ago, SAK said:

NUFC aren’t a PIF priority let alone a stadium. So far grand statements of wanting to be the best are just that, empty words.

Seems like the chairman hasn’t made as many appearances as last season. Think they got into this without much thought about the rules others would impose on them and are a bit bored with their not so shiny toy as they can’t push on as they would like.

Sorry for the doom & gloom but I don’t feel our owners have the same fight as the City owners and this passive approach will encourage others to tighten rules further.

100%.  They’re so very, very interested that there isn’t a permanent PIF representative in the day-to-day running of the club.  For all the promises of communication with the support - well, in their own time - we seem to get information no quicker than the last regime.  Even those who are meant to be involved day to day are far more likely to be found talking shite at Bloomberg than to the support.  

There’s been nothing to support what they boasted about so far.  We’re halfway to that five year point, and so far I’ve seen nothing to suggest that there is anything like a grand plan.  Last season was effectively a fluke.   It doesn’t take two and a half years to plan for serious investment like a stadium; and it definitely doesn’t need two and a half years to build new training and academy facilities etc.

On top of that we get tied to one of the nastiest regimes on the planet. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

If we cant make much progress on the pitch then its time to get some wins off the pitch.

Time for PIF and Co to get a move on and give some kind of updates on the training ground and the stadium.