St James' Park

Delima

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Aye, it’s massively deceiving. It all depends on what you class as staying at SJP is, does it include a total rebuild?

How many people would still be willing to stay if it meant their season ticket went up £500-£1,000. We have already seen people be moved on because their season ticket went up to £7k, and you had to buy 2.

I’d be up for a stadium move either on the same site (rebuild), on Leazes, or the Arena site. I’m not up for a new stadium at Silverlink.

Of course, it’s not really a question that most can answer (sensibly) without knowing the specifics of the alternatives.

36 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Aye, it’s massively deceiving. It all depends on what you class as staying at SJP is, does it include a total rebuild?

How many people would still be willing to stay if it meant their season ticket went up £500-£1,000. We have already seen people be moved on because their season ticket went up to £7k, and you had to buy 2.

I’d be up for a stadium move either on the same site (rebuild), on Leazes, or the Arena site. I’m not up for a new stadium at Silverlink.

Arena a no go, government have bought the land for housing.

Or of course we could try the Jim Radcliffe approach and try to get the government to pay for it

13 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Why you continue to claim the majority want to move is beyond me like. Every poll that's been done shows the exact opposite.

I've never seen one poll covering this. As others have asked can you point everyone to where these polls are.

you can't vote for staying unless you know what the plans for sjp are.

you can't vote for leave unless you know where its moving to.

Edited by huss9

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

I've never seen one poll covering this. As others have asked can you point everyone to where these polls are.

It's a mea culpa from me unfortunately. I had thought I was just repeating the same argument that I made the last time this was brought up with Wandy, but my argument then wasn't 'you're claiming supporters want to leave when polling only shows the opposite' it was 'you're claiming supporters want to leave when there's no polling to support that'

So a hands up from me, I got that one a bit wrong, apologies. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Can’t really see the point of expanding SJP or moving. The self-entitlement of some of the support since the take over will probably mean thousands will stop supporting because we haven’t employed Pep, bought Mbappe and announced the new 100,000 seater stadium.
It’s a pretty ambitious want for a club that 4 years ago was pretty much a pointless exercise that yo-yo’d between divisions. 

4 hours ago, Tross said:

So you want to replace modern concrete walls with modern concrete walls? Sound. 

Bigger and better though, some of them Yankee stadiums are amazing, if some Arab fella is willing to pay for it why can't we have that ? Do we really need to stay stuck with what we have ? Can we have nowt nice.

2 hours ago, huss9 said:

you can't vote for staying unless you know what the plans for sjp are.

you can't vote for leave unless you know where its moving to.

You're right, of course, but you could canvas fans' opinions based on a very simple poll such as:

Choose one, would you prefer to:

A. Stay at St.James's Park permanently - renovated and with a small increase in capacity. 

B. Move to a new stadium at either Castle Leazes or the Arena site with a 70,000+ capacity.

2 minutes ago, TomYam said:

You're right, of course, but you could canvas fans' opinions based on a very simple poll such as:

Choose one, would you prefer to:

A. Stay at St.James's Park permanently - renovated and with a small increase in capacity. 

B. Move to a new stadium at either Castle Leazes or the Arena site with a 70,000+ capacity.

C. Don't know

A. If it meant we could get to 62/65k

As well as a huge refurb inside and out  

massive overhaul 

if not …..

B. As long as it was in Leazes park / Town Moor (65-68k) maximum and plenty scope for more revenue ,

ideally - Best in class /  unbelievably stunning / all singing / all dancing /

to attract players that might be on the fence about joining  /  also make the football world stand up and take notice!!

54 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

As long as it was in Leazes park / Town Moor (65-68k) maximum and plenty scope for more revenue ,

If it was in "Castle Leazes Moor" it would be virtually where SJP is now, just a few yards away the other side of Leazes Park, and I would expect if we did that then it would hold more than 70,000!

We should never leave the current ground. It would only be vaguely worthwhile for a city centre location. There’s no guarantee we could get anywhere near the same numbers if we moved outside the city centre.

2 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

We should never leave the current ground. It would only be vaguely worthwhile for a city centre location. There’s no guarantee we could get anywhere near the same numbers if we moved outside the city centre.

We should leave the current ground, but I do agree it has to be within the city limits.

I reckon there's only 2 options for most people.

1. Stay at st James park. 65000 max 

2. Move to castle leazes/town moor for a 70000 stadium with potential to expand further. 

Either is fine by me. Fuck that shit on the arena site, we need the castle on the hill. 

41 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

38 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

We should leave the current ground, but I do agree it has to be within the city limits.

I'd rather stay where we are without any expansion than move outside the city centre. 

1 hour ago, Rafalove said:

The problem is that folks think that the argument for a new stadium is getting a few more thousand in.

This isn’t it at all.  The problem with SJP isn’t just capacity - it’s the fact that it’s a stadium not designed to maximise commercial revenue in the way that modern football stadiums are.  If SJP could be expanded to 60k, and all that mattered was regular match day tickets, it wouldn’t be worth a move.  But to think that is to miss the point. 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The problem is that folks think that the argument for a new stadium is getting a few more thousand in.

This isn’t it at all.  The problem with SJP isn’t just capacity - it’s the fact that it’s a stadium not designed to maximise commercial revenue in the way that modern football stadiums are.  If SJP could be expanded to 60k, and all that mattered was regular match day tickets, it wouldn’t be worth a move.  But to think that is to miss the point. 

Concerts for a start.

I will ask again in this different thread because I still genuinely don't get it. What commercial opportunities are denied to us at SJP that would open up majestic new revenue streams at a new stadium?

Naming rights are manifestly possible at SJP and has been explored before, albeit in the least palatable form imaginable; and the Stadium of Light seems to be a decent indicator that putting gigs on a couple of times a year doesn't equate to commercial success.  Are we just talking about getting in loads of hospitality clients that don't really give a fuck about football but will pay through the nose for seats, or is there more to this?

Edited by OpenC

10 minutes ago, OpenC said:

I will ask again in this different thread because I still genuinely don't get it. What commercial opportunities are denied to us at SJP that would open up majestic new revenue streams at a new stadium?

I guess SJP has a use of 19 games, the odd rugby game and a concert at the end of the season before they dig the pitch up! Spurs new stadium has a level below ground (currently a go kart and F1 experience) they can host NFL games and because the pitch is removable can host concerts and other events all your round! I know we aren’t in London but you get more options with newer stadiums 

Edited by Johny4317

17 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Naming rights are manifestly possible at SJP and has been explored before, albeit in the least palatable form imaginable; and the Stadium of Light seems to be a decent indicator that putting gigs on a couple of times a year doesn't equate to commercial success.  Are we just talking about getting in loads of hospitality clients that don't really give a fuck about football but will pay through the nose for seats, or is there more to this?

Well, if you build a stadium from scratch it can be whatever you want it to be, can’t it. Any kind of event, places to eat, drink, innovative club shop, conference space, etc, etc.

Plus adding to Gallowgate is only going to give us more L7 seats. The East Stand being so small limits us as higher value seats can be sold there plus way more corporate seating areas. 

14 minutes ago, OpenC said:

I think that's part of it. If we could (just plucking a multiple out of my backside) double our income from hospitality clients for example. That doesn't necessarily come at the expense of "atmosphere" if a new stadium was also built with that in mind (eg safe standing areas, acoustics).

I think stadium naming rights would be fundamentally different for a new stadium for a variety of reasons. I'd also speculate that the rights would be worth more (considering FMV) than sticking a companies name on a ground everyone is just going to call St James's Park regardless. 

As far as what else can be done, well I'm (clearly) no expert but you can attach all sorts to it - Spurs have their Go Kart thing, you could add a hotel, restaurants, a gargantuan club shop. More creative minds than I could undoubtedly come up with countless suggestions.