St James' Park

Delima

Let's not kid ourselves. The name of the stadium is not going to become anything other than Sports Direct Arena at any point during Mike Ashley's tenure here,

QFT

shirt sponsors is a different matter imo, be fucking mental to turn down an existing revenue stream

They've done so inside the stadium.

Let's not kid ourselves. The name of the stadium is not going to become anything other than Sports Direct Arena at any point during Mike Ashley's tenure here,

QFT

shirt sponsors is a different matter imo, be fucking mental to turn down an existing revenue stream

and on top of it

Not upton park? Didn't know that either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boleyn_Ground

If you use that as an example then you're destroying your own stance of everyone will call it St. James Park no matter what they change it too.

Because it's historically called Boleyn and the name was changed to Upton Park...and it stuck.

So it's an admission that SDA will stick :p

I don't think it will but I'm not using poor examples either ;)

When was the name officially changed to Upton Park? Even their website refers to it as the Boleyn Ground.

The point is people refer to it as Upton Park as that is the name they're most familiar with and what they grew up with, if people want to educate their children in the future to call the place the Sports Direct Arena then that's up to them but for the majority the place is and always will be St James' Park.

QFT

and on top of it

Well there wasn't any advertising there before so it's not quite the same, but certainly no company has never had such a monopoly on the fixed advertising hoarding that I can remember. Not one paying fuck all for it, anyway.

They don't get it and you sure as fuck don't get it Baggio, that's very clear.

I get that you're crying like a girl over what the name is going to be on tv, despite everyone in the area and at the games referring to it as St James' Park.

I only found out the other day that's West Ham's ground isn't even called Upton Park :lol: It's what people know it as though and SJP will be the same.

:rolleyes:

the way you're championing the abuse of newcastle united culture without a whiff of protest on the basis of hypothetical financial reward for the club is very, very manly.

I get that you're crying like a girl over what the name is going to be on tv, despite everyone in the area and at the games referring to it as St James' Park.

I only found out the other day that's West Ham's ground isn't even called Upton Park :lol: It's what people know it as though and SJP will be the same.

the way you're championing the abuse of newcastle united culture without a whiff of protest on the basis of hypothetical financial reward for the club is very, very manly.

Where as you want us to sell Tiote and Cabaye while cutting Colo's wages so we don't have to worry about sponsorship money. :lol:

QFT

and on top of it

Well there wasn't any advertising there before so it's not quite the same, but certainly no company has never had such a monopoly on the fixed advertising hoarding that I can remember. Not one paying fuck all for it, anyway.

indeed, they COULD sell that advertising space though couldnt they, just like they could sell the boards inside the ground. i imagine the signs either side of newcastle united would be worth quite a bit actually, they've obviously decided we don't need that money though.

Where as you want us to sell Tiote and Cabaye while cutting Colo's wages so we don't have to worry about sponsorship money. :lol:

no, no i don't. you've spectacularly missed the point. that's the opposite of what i want us to do.

no, no i don't. you've spectacularly missed the point.

You said so in the other thread as ways the club could cut their outgoings so they don't need sponsorship.

alan smith's wages for a start. Colo's too. also some tidy profits in Tiote, Cabaye etc would likely pay the sponsorship money for decades

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,90937.msg3330710.html#msg3330710

no, no i don't. you've spectacularly missed the point.

You said so in the other thread as ways the club could cut their outgoings so they don't need sponsorship.

alan smith's wages for a start. Colo's too. also some tidy profits in Tiote, Cabaye etc would likely pay the sponsorship money for decades

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,90937.msg3330710.html#msg3330710

i know i did, doesn't mean i'm advocating it or it's what i want us to do. you've jumped the gun a bit there.

QFT

and on top of it

indeed, they COULD sell that advertising space though couldnt they, just like they could sell the boards inside the ground. i imagine the signs either side of newcastle united would be worth quite a bit actually, they've obviously decided we don't need that money though.

It's not that we don't need the money. It's just that it would cost Mike Ashley shitloads of cash to get that much exposure for Sports Direct at any other ground. So the loss of ad revenue at SJP must be outweighed by the value of the exposure his brand gets at SJP.

What you must always remember is that Sports Direct is his number 1 priority. NUFC comes 2nd fiddle at best and is merely a way for him to promote his brand internationally.

For Mike Ashley, Newcastle United only exists as a vehicle to maximize revenue for Sports Direct.

Selling advertising earns the club money, but doesn't earn Sports Direct any money.

Advertising Sports Direct benefits the business he really cares about.

yes......but based on the recent DL comments (some people still take him at his word) if the stadium renaming is indeed to showcase the branding opportunity in order to bring in further funds then we can take it that bringing in funding is the most important role of the stadium aside from the fans paying to get in to watch the match? if that's the case, why not make even more of the money we so desperately need (to buy a striker) by selling the sports direct boards and signs?

For Mike Ashley, Newcastle United only exists as a vehicle to maximize revenue for Sports Direct.

Selling advertising earns the club money, but doesn't earn Sports Direct any money.

Nail whalloped on the head.

of course, i've been saying for months that the amount of exposure he can get for SD by doing exactly what he wants with NUFC is a good trade off for the original investment he thought he was making when he bought the club. that kind of exposure of the length of time (as long as he wants) would be worth an astronomical amount.

yes......but based on the recent DL comments (some people still take him at his word) if the stadium renaming is indeed to showcase the branding opportunity in order to bring in further funds then we can take it that bringing in funding is the most important role of the stadium aside from the fans paying to get in to watch the match? if that's the case, why not make even more of the money we so desperately need (to buy a striker) by selling the sports direct boards and signs?

I'm presuming they are part of any deal the club strikes with a sponsor.

Everything that comes out of DL's mouth is either lies, spin or usually a combination of both.

There will be no other sponsored name of the stadium under Ashley's reign. It is just a way to try and ease the new name in without too much fuss.

At the end of the season they will say: "due to the negative publicity surrounding the SDA announcement we were unable to find a new sponsor, so for the foreseeable future we will be sticking with SDA. It's a shame the fans reacted in such a negative way but unfortunately they now have to shoulder the blame for the reluctance of sponsors to buy the naming rights"

They are perpetual liars who appear to think that the general public are braindead clampits unable to see through their pathetic smokescreeens.

Everything that comes out of DL's mouth is either lies, spin or usually a combination of both.

There will be no other sponsored name of the stadium under Ashley's reign. It is just a way to try and ease the new name in without too much fuss.

At the end of the season they will say: "due to the negative publicity surrounding the SDA announcement we were unable to find a new sponsor, so for the foreseeable future we will be sticking with SDA. It's a shame the fans reacted in such a negative way but unfortunately they now have to shoulder the blame for the reluctance of sponsors to buy the naming rights"

They are perpetual liars who appear to think that the general public are braindead clampits unable to see through their pathetic smokescreeens.

:clap:

I tend to believe this is true. We're essentially a massive advertising board for his company at the moment, and the one grain of blind optimism I can take from that is the notion that the better we do, the more global advertising Sports Direct will receive. Therefore Ashley will probably see it as being in his best interests to maximize the club's exposure (and therefore his company's exposure) by competing in continental competitions, which may actually mean that he'll start investing to get us there.

right o, i think you're right and the deal's already been made.

He's as good as said that anyone interested will get the advertising space Sports Direct currently has.

Personally I think the lad that was shot down for saying we were negotiating with someone from Qatar is right, great publicity for a country holding the World cup.

He's as good as said that anyone interested will get the advertising space Sports Direct currently has.

Unfortunately for us, what he says is worth absolutely nothing.

Why? It's completely reasonable for any new stadium sponsor to have their name plastered everywhere and not Sports Direct.

Unfortunately for us, what he says is worth absolutely nothing.

Why? It's completely reasonable for any new stadium sponsor to have their name plastered everywhere and not Sports Direct.

repeat after me......"there will be no new stadium sponsor, there will be no new stadium sponsor, there will be no new stadium sponsor, there will be no new stadium sponsor, there will be no new stadium sponsor, there will be no new stadium sponsor, there will be no new stadium sponsor, there will be no new stadium sponsor, there will be no new stadium sponsor, there will be no new stadium sponsor........"