St James' Park

Delima

Two points on this - I don't think we can rely too much on experts either for or against this, because I don't think this precise step of re-naming the stadium of a major English club has been tried before.

Secondly, they seem to be trying to sell the idea to an international market. They're trying to demonstrate how a sponsor's name will get a very high profile on international TV by the various advertising spots around the ground (presently occupied by Sports Direct), and by the naming of the stadium. Local fans choosing to keep calling it St James's Park might not put anyone off. The ambition is to get an international sponsor, not a local one or even a British one.

Secondly, they seem to be trying to sell the idea to an international market. They're trying to demonstrate how a sponsor's name will get a very high profile on international TV by the various advertising spots around the ground (presently occupied by Sports Direct), and by the naming of the stadium.

Amazing that it has never been thought of before. Ashley is a trail blazer.

You are my favourite WUM.

Just a thought, but Ashley doesn't give a shit what we think so any negative reaction would be like water off a duck's back. Other clubs' owners are too worried to try this because of how it would take down their popularity, though it wouldn't surprise me if over the next year or so, if more clubs follow.

Without the tacky over the top branding obviously.

Just a thought, but Ashley doesn't give a shit what we think so any negative reaction would be like water off a duck's back. Other clubs' owners are too worried to try this because of how it would take down their popularity, though it wouldn't surprise me if over the next year or so, if more clubs follow.

Without the tacky over the top branding obviously.

At this point he's figured out that fan-organized protests are a joke and he can get away with just about anything.

Eventually the fans will tire and he'll get off with no consequences. Just like he did with Keegan, SD.com@StJamesPark, Hughton, the Newcastle United letters etc. etc.

All Ashley is bothered about is money. The best protest the fans could ever do is simply not go to the matches and to not buy season tickets. It won't happen but I believe that genuine concerted effort on the fans to not go to a large number of games, would eventually strike a chord.

All Ashley is bothered about is money. The best protest the fans could ever do is simply not go to the matches and to not buy season tickets. It won't happen but I believe that genuine concerted effort on the fans to not go to a large number of games, would eventually strike a chord.

That sort of thing will never happen. Especially not when we're 3rd in the league.

He's got absolutely nothing to worry about.

Guest guinness_fiend

Genuine Question, but has SD actually paid anything for any advertising at all at SJP? If not, how much have they cost NUFC in lost revenue?

If no-one else has offered to pay for the multiple advertising slots, which may very well be the case, absolutely nothing. 

That would just do more harm than good imo. Find it sad that one person can honestly take the enjoyment from people like that.

I think pretty much everyone is on our side here, it's still the same stadium, same players, same match goers, etc. Don't let it ruin things for you.

That would just do more harm than good imo. Find it sad that one person can honestly take the enjoyment from people like that.

I think pretty much everyone is on our side here, it's still the same stadium, same players, same match goers, etc. Don't let it ruin things for you.

it's gonna be difficult like. my overwhelming feeling during ashley's time here has been sadness and anger that we're all being taken for a ride by someone who doesn't give a shit about the football club, this has just increased the feeling x100. it's such a ridiculous situation that someone like him has the power to do things like this.

Pretty much my thoughts on his whole tedious saga.

There are obviously better ways to go about finding a sponsor than this. This could hit attendances, shirt sales and other revenue streams in the process and if the team performs poorly as a result it will affect sponsorship further down the line, both TV deals and post-Northern Rock.

So why have they gone this route? They cite Chelsea as an example that other clubs are doing it, but Chelsea have not renamed the stadium for free to 'showcase' Stamford Bridge. So we are in fact the only club doing it for free.

Are they really looking for a sponsor or is it just an excuse for the club to give Sports Direct free sponsorship? Time will tell but they've chosen a strange way to go about finding sponsors and it makes you suspicious. For once I agree with Shepherd, they've already changed the name, changing it again so soon would just look tacky and it could put sponsors off. Changing the official name twice in a year? The media are unlikely to roll with that and sponsors will be aware. Similarly if the media all continue to call it St James Park that would also put sponsors off as the 'showcase' would be a failure. There is a real possibility of that happening with the entire fanbase and the city council wanting to keep the name the same. If the media continue to call it St James Park then it would actually deter sponsors.

My gut feeling? I could be wrong but I suspect it's just another way for Ashley to squeeze what he can out of the club (free advertising) before he eventually finds a buyer for the club.

Basically agree with this. Theres no comparative way that he could get this level of advertisement for his other business at this price, the temporary claim just seems like a simple way to ease people in to the idea. The better our side does, the more coverage we get, fans on side etc...what better time for him to do it. I doubt he cares whether sponsors will come in, it works for him either way.

There are obviously better ways to go about finding a sponsor than this. This could hit attendances, shirt sales and other revenue streams in the process and if the team performs poorly as a result it will affect sponsorship further down the line, both TV deals and post-Northern Rock.

So why have they gone this route? They cite Chelsea as an example that other clubs are doing it, but Chelsea have not renamed the stadium for free to 'showcase' Stamford Bridge. So we are in fact the only club doing it for free.

Are they really looking for a sponsor or is it just an excuse for the club to give Sports Direct free sponsorship? Time will tell but they've chosen a strange way to go about finding sponsors and it makes you suspicious. For once I agree with Shepherd, they've already changed the name, changing it again so soon would just look tacky and it could put sponsors off. Changing the official name twice in a year? The media are unlikely to roll with that and sponsors will be aware. Similarly if the media all continue to call it St James Park that would also put sponsors off as the 'showcase' would be a failure. There is a real possibility of that happening with the entire fanbase and the city council wanting to keep the name the same. If the media continue to call it St James Park then it would actually deter sponsors.

My gut feeling? I could be wrong but I suspect it's just another way for Ashley to squeeze what he can out of the club (free advertising) before he eventually finds a buyer for the club.

Basically agree with this. Theres no comparative way that he could get this level of advertisement for his other business at this price, the temporary claim just seems like a simple way to ease people in to the idea. The better our side does, the more coverage we get, fans on side etc...what better time for him to do it. I doubt he cares whether sponsors will come in, it works for him either way.

Like ~£300m you mean?

I'm sure he could have got that level of sponsorship a lot cheaper than that tbh

That sort of thing will never happen. Especially not when we're 3rd in the league.

If (big IF admittedly) we stayed thrid in the league, would we ourselves have anything to worry about ???

Aye, because i suggested this was the entire reason he bought the club. Wonderful reasoning skills there.

It's been quoted many, many times that this was the case. Educate one's self.

I didnt personally suggest it did i, im not to bothered about what others have been quoted as thinking

If (big IF admittedly) we stayed thrid in the league, would we ourselves have anything to worry about ???

Well, no, but that's not the point.

People wouldn't stop going even if we were relegated.

Heck, people didn't stop going when we actually were relegated.