St James' Park

Delima

You seem to be arguing for the sake of it.

as do you. I'd like to know how many times in the course of a commentary the new title is used.

Eh? You responded to my post not the other way around. ???

The BBC's entire argument, including their response to the Council's motion is that they have to use the 'official' name to maintain consistency, of which there is precisely none.

What are you going on about?

The BBC's entire argument, including their response to the Council's motion is that they have to use the 'official' name to maintain consistency, or which there is precisely none.

there is at certain levels, (the graphic on your bradford example doesn't say valley parade) i'd be suprised if SJP or Gallowgate hasn't slipped through on some BBC blogs, it's certainly used on local BBC radio.

what does it say on the skysports graphic on goals on sunday for us but i hear stelling always calls it  SJP.

Guest Chubby Jason

That bloke on Sky that replaced Richard Keys takes great joy in calling it "The Sports Direct Arena" at any given opportunity.

The BBC's entire argument, including their response to the Council's motion is that they have to use the 'official' name to maintain consistency, or which there is precisely none.

there is at certain levels, (the graphic on your bradford example doesn't say valley parade) i'd be suprised if SJP or Gallowgate hasn't slipped through on some BBC blogs, it's certainly used on local BBC radio.

what does it say on the skysports graphic on goals on sunday for us but i hear stelling always calls it  SJP.

Within the article the ground is described as Valley Parade. Dead consistent that.

Within the article the ground is described as Valley Parade. Dead consistent that.

you'll have to find a lot more than those two for them to see it as anymore than minor errors. also looking through some recent bbc home game reports it seems like there is an effort not to refer to any name for the stadium.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I sent BBC a complaint about the whole Upton Park issue. The reply they sent me was this:

Thank you for contacting us regarding Newcastle Utd's stadium.

I understand that you believe the BBC are guilty of hypocrisy when referring the Sports Direct Arena instead of St James' Park while referring to West Ham's Upton Park instead of the Boleyn Ground.

Although I appreciate you feel strongly about this matter, the Boleyn Ground is more commonly referred to as Upton Park due to its location in Upton Park, London. We use the commonly referred to title, however, I do appreciate that you feel strongly that there should be consistency when referring to both grounds.

So is St James' not commonly referred to as St. James'?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/16915638

'The City of Coventry Stadium, Hampden Park, Millennium Stadium, Old Trafford, Sports Direct Arena and Wembley Stadium will stage the matches.'

So, the Ricoh Arena isn't referred to as that because of sponsorship issues but for St. James', they've decided to put the corporate name. Cunch of bunts.

Ridiculous.

:facepalm:

Blatently get through to someone with no desire to do anything about it so just give canned bad responses. Just seems bizarre, I can only think Ashley has threatened them with something bad if they call it St James park

The response I got (from the not worthy of a thread, thead)

I have too like, got this stock response

Thank you for contacting us about the reference to the Sports Direct Arena in our programmes. We acknowledge the controversial nature of the new name for the Newcastle United football ground. As of the 10 November, the Sports Direct Arena became the official name for the ground as chosen by the club. It is not the BBC's place, as an impartial public broadcaster to decide or debate on whether this is correct or not, rather to report on the matches which take place on the field. By changing the way we display the graphics or refer to the ground on our programmes ensures consistency with every other ground which has a sponsor, be it new grounds that came with a sponsor like the Emirates, or old grounds that have changed their names like Bradford City’s Coral Windows Stadium (formerly Valley Parade). We'd also like to assure you that we've registered your complaint on our Audience Log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that’s made available to all BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive board, channel controllers and other senior managers. The Audience Logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions on future BBC programmes and content. Once again, thank you for contacting us.

Kind Regards

Julie McBrien

BBC Complaints

I should probably note that I literally received this response about 1-2 mins later. There is no doubt this is a C+P job. I replied with the Ref number stating my "extreme disappointment" with the response and also stated that they had not answered my point that SJP will be the name used and that they have not used the Ricoh Arena.. 10 hours or so later no reply.

edit: and look here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12675577 SJP name used on last pic  :rolleyes:

Guest Super_Hans

They're taking the piss out of us and nobody should be allowed to do that to Newcastle United.

Surely there are some sort of protest or bouycott's we can do to either force the boards hand to change the name officially or at least force the media to stop calling it the SDA.

We are geordies, and this is SJP, we can and must stop this.

I think this new name is dying a death already. Sometimes you see SDA in match reports on websites and in papers, but everyone I've heard talking about it still calls it SJP, including on BBC Radio.

I think the best course of action is not to complain and draw attention to it. Just let it be forgotten.

They're taking the p*ss out of us and nobody should be allowed to do that to Newcastle United.

Surely there are some sort of protest or bouycott's we can do to either force the boards hand to change the name officially or at least force the media to stop calling it the SDA.

We are geordies, and this is SJP, we can and must stop this.

Yeah, it's good to have mackems coming on here to add intelligent balanced views to the debate. Welcome.

I think this new name is dying a death already. Sometimes you see SDA in match reports on websites and in papers, but everyone I've heard talking about it still calls it SJP, including on BBC Radio.

I think the best course of action is not to complain and draw attention to it. Just let it be forgotten.

Yeah i've realised this.

I was watching BBC news yesterday morning and the bloke who does the sport referred to it as SJP

The BBC's hypocrisy is really annoying though.