St James' Park

Delima

2 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Shearer was an absolute world class player and great icon of the club. And with him being a pundit, he's a fairly good representative in the media, means the club gets spoken about more than it probably usually would in its current state. 

But in terms of being in touch with what the people want, he doesn't have a clue. He is a legend for on-the-pitch stuff, but off the pitch his opinion isn't anything overly special that you'd tune in or pay good money for.

Whereas with Keegan or even SBR, they brought a different level of depth and you'd read and listen to everything they say as not only is it going to be warm and passionate, it's also going to be pretty spot on and insightful. More than anything it is their values and ethos that represent the club above all else. Shearer was a bloody good player, my hero growing up like many but I don't rate him as highly as the others in adulthood in terms of him 'getting it'. He doesn't inspire me as much as the others in terms of what he has to say or in his actions. 

For what it's worth - I also think he'd be a PFM type of manager so it's a good thing his management career didn't quite take off.   

Do I remember right, that the first thing he did when announcing himself to the squad was to read out a list of fines relating to tardiness for training sessions etc? The thing about being a good manager, is the clue is in the word. Very determined, driven individuals like Alan probably have a blinkered approach when it comes to others and just don't get why other people wouldn't put in 100% like he did, rather than engaging in man-management and trying to get people onside individualyl. Not often do great players become great managers :/

Was it Robert Lee that spat his dummy out at how he had to work harder when he saw Ginola swanning around, and Keegan said something along the lines of 'Can you do what he does? No? Then what's your problem!' lol. I've probably horribly misremembered the actual quote but that's what stuck with me.

22 minutes ago, HawK said:

Do I remember right, that the first thing he did when announcing himself to the squad was to read out a list of fines relating to tardiness for training sessions etc? The thing about being a good manager, is the clue is in the word. Very determined, driven individuals like Alan probably have a blinkered approach when it comes to others and just don't get why other people wouldn't put in 100% like he did, rather than engaging in man-management and trying to get people onside individualyl. Not often do great players become great managers :/

Was it Robert Lee that spat his dummy out at how he had to work harder when he saw Ginola swanning around, and Keegan said something along the lines of 'Can you do what he does? No? Then what's your problem!' lol. I've probably horribly misremembered the actual quote but that's what stuck with me.

Yes Shearer did something like that when he first came in. Nothing wrong with enforcing stricter rules per se, especially if the team is lax or has problems on that side, but you're right it's quite entry level stuff. With world class player managers - what tends happens with them is that they initially do pretty well, because their stature is such that their very presence may get an extra 2-3% out of players. Souness, Gullit are good examples here. But when their name and star fades because the younger players don't know them as well - and the actual need to be a good manager comes in to play - they start to struggle and get found out for their limited ability. 

Even with Gerrard's strong start, it remains to be seen if this lasts long term. (It's said he doesn't do much of the coaching anyway, he's quite hands off in that regard, he's more of a figurehead manager). Zidane is another one who did well in his first stint but when things went wrong in second stint, he didn't really know what to do to fix things. Keegan himself was a world class player - and he didn't have all the tricks in his arsenal needed to be a top top coach - although he had stronger communication, influence and empathy skills than most other players do, which helped him in terms of man management. 

Yeah that Keegan quote about Ginola was to John Beresford the left back who was constantly exposed. He said 'look, I know you'll have to do some extra work but he could win us the league!' Keegan's honesty is legendary and it's obvious why people would run through brick walls for someone like that. 

Edited by kingxlnc

30 minutes ago, HawK said:

It was a Beresford, KK said he will win us the league, give him the ball and defend for him.

4 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I've added a couple of polls cos I feel quite surprised by some of the chat and really curious to know what the consensus is. Hopefully I've covered all bases there. 

I was going to vote but I’m not familiar with the poll options. Which one equates to a 9?

1 hour ago, Dr Jinx said:

I really hope they manage to get Keegan back in some capacity. Imagine him sitting in the stands beside Amanda watching over a team he can be proud of.

That sort of thing WILL happen, but not everything can sensibly happen immediately.

It is great and it is just gonna keep on getting greater and greater and greater !!!

6 minutes ago, Rocker said:

Shearer bashing irks me.

Aye, the man is arguably our greatest ever player, he’s one of us, I doubt we will ever see anyone as good as he was in our colours again, despite our so-called wealth after the takeover. 

15 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Bloke could have signed for any team in the world but wanted to come home. Scored 206 goals and saved us from the shit countless of times.

If he’s getting grief then no one is safe.

Yep. Hard to understand the posts above. ”He’s not Kevin Keegan”. That’s right, he’s not. He’s Alan Shearer from Gosforth who could have played for Man U or Juve and win it all but instead chose to play for Newcastle for 10 years winning fuck all because he loves the club. I mean, come on.

If KK and Shearer don’t want to work for the club officially in any (paid or otherwise) capacity, I’d still give them honoury titles. KK the player, the manager, the man, is the single most important part of NUFC’s long glorious history and Shearer, our record goalscorer is our greatest ever player IMO. I’d love the club to do an Entertainers style XI vs whoever exhibition friendly match held at SJP every close season too, to raise funds for the Food Bank and or the Sir Bobby Foundation. KK as manager of course!

26 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Aye, the man is arguably our greatest ever player, he’s one of us, I doubt we will ever see anyone as good as he was in our colours again, despite our so-called wealth after the takeover. 

Totally agree with that, as I mentioned I was the biggest Shearer fan growing up and still am. I just meant I relate more to/am inspired more by keegan now that I’m older. Both of course are absolute legends. 

Edited by kingxlnc

Just now, kingxlnc said:

Totally agree with that, as I mentioned I was the biggest Shearer fan growing up and still am. I just meant I relate more to keegan now that I’m older. Both of course are absolute legends. 

Oh aye, KK is and always will be the king, my personal hero and idol and ultimate legend over anyone, Shearer or whoever manages or plays for us in a game or era where we are winning silverware. 

I think why the likes of Shearer and Roy Keane for example are not managerial material is because as players, they didn’t need instructed, coached or man managed, they were their own men and were consummate professionals, players like them would succeed regardless of environment, manager, team or era. They can’t therefore relate to the modern day individual footballer and expect any player to have the same mentality as they had or can’t comprehend those that don’t.

Souness was similar and that’s why he and the likes of Shearer and Roy Keane and some other former top players who went into management struggle, because they have a work hard, proper players/s, roll your sleeves up type mindset where the player is responsible for the majority of his game, form etc.. That’s also a lot down to their coaching by their own former managers or the culture of their dressing rooms.

KK was similar in having personal mindset, but experienced different types of managers and cultures especially with England and abroad and because he was a personable person as was Sir Bobby, he took to man management and being able to handle egos and the fragile confidences and characteristics of individuals much better and therefore was a much better manager.

If Gerrard for example is to be a top manager, he will have learned a lot from Rafa, a manager he didn’t really need to drive him on, to be coached by, to perform, because he was so driven himself. Rafa just understood him and one of the signs he will succeed as a manager is he welcomed Rafa’s style, even if he didn’t always agree or like it. Anything to get that extra percentage, that extra bit out of him and to aid his performances. 

Edited by HTT II

I’m not bashing Shearer, he’s still a club legend but I really wish he’d just kept his gob shut about Steve Bruce.

Guilt by association as far as I’m concerned, if his love for the club was all that he claims, he’d have had no issue stating facts about his mates but he chose to be an apologist.

Keegan has his flaws but a lack of integrity has and never will be one of them.

4 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I’m not bashing Shearer, he’s still a club legend but I really wish he’d just kept his gob shut about Steve Bruce.

Guilt by association as far as I’m concerned, if his love for the club was all that he claims, he’d have had no issue stating facts about his mates but he chose to be an apologist.

Keegan has his flaws but a lack of integrity has and never will be one of them.

He did, he just never threw his mate under the bus, understandable really. Points deducted, but he’s still top of the league.

1 hour ago, Collage said:

Yep. Hard to understand the posts above. ”He’s not Kevin Keegan”. That’s right, he’s not. He’s Alan Shearer from Gosforth who could have played for Man U or Juve and win it all but instead chose to play for Newcastle for 10 years winning fuck all because he loves the club. I mean, come on.

Great player, shit manager in the little he showed. It's really not a debate :lol: It was just interesting that he was labelled as a potential PFM which caught my attention.

3 hours ago, Wandy said:

Because he's a greedy bastard. Personally I'd have him nowhere near anything to do with the running of the club. Great player for us and that's it. I can think of at least 3 players ahead of Shearer who I idolised more though.

Agree , great goal scorer but I’ve no time for him 

I'm not a fan of involving past players in the club at any capacity other than an honorary position or as an ambassador for marketing purposes. I've seen so many club legends of big clubs hurt their glorious reputations after taking over important managerial roles that they are not qualified for.

IMO, the club should just honor them with statues, invite them to matches at St. James Park or let them do some sort of charity work representing the club. That's it.

1 minute ago, Collage said:

”No time for him”…each to their own but fucking hell

lve a personal reason which I won’t discuss on here , I can say he’s an arrogant prick at times in private. 

Edited by GWN

30 minutes ago, HawK said:

Great player, shit manager in the little he showed. It's really not a debate :lol: It was just interesting that he was labelled as a potential PFM which caught my attention.

Didn’t say anything about him as a manager, I agree he’s probably not very good. Don’t get the bashing of a club legend though.