St James' Park

Delima

As one who can remember no advertising hoardings,interviews with players/managers without multi sponored backdrops and that competition we're playing in tomorrow being called the League Cup I really can't see what the fuss is. Unsurprisingly nowadays it seems to be internet fans from Essex or somewhere who don't even attend SJP who have an issue rather than we long suffering Geordies who actually go to the match.

In fact the only thing I've ever got vexed about (besides the s*** we've had to put up with on the field) was when they flogged me a bond to my seat for 500 quid and a couple of years later turfed us out into inferior seats to make way for fashion fans who have since deserted. Imagine if the FCB tried to pull that stunt.

No when Yohan rattles one in on Saturday I for one won't really give s*** what is written on the roof, who has their name on our shirt or what the fack the league we play in is called this year.

When was this then?  As for the Internet and Essex fans comment, horse s***.

When I started going - mid sixties - and for quite a few years thereafter. I seem to remember we were one of the last "big" clubs to have perimiter advertising.

I stand by that comment you deem to be horseshit, the signage definitely seems to be a bigger issue on internet sites than it is in bars on Tyneside, I can barely remember perimiter advertising, shirt and everything else sponsors, or any of the other sell outs attracting much attention at all - pre internet days of course.

Like I said turfing long standing fans out of their seats to accomodate corporate and ultimately temporary fans was a far more emotive issue.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

For what its worth, I find it interesting hearing what the older guys make of all of this. I'm in the generation where Shirt Sponsorship has pretty much always been around. I used to think for a while when I was little that the Newcastle Bluestar WAS part of the Newcastle kit. It wasn't until I saw some old posters my Dad had that I saw we had different sponsorship before hand... and none before that. He thought it looked tacky.

So, I just find it interesting that there'll be us lot in our 20s who don't feel anything towards shirt sponsorship, while they'll those in their 40s who feel its tacky (maybe not as much now perhaps more so!).

Wonder what will happen 10/20 years time with feelings towards this current phase of sponsorship ideas (naming rights, etc).

As one who can remember no advertising hoardings,interviews with players/managers without multi sponored backdrops and that competition we're playing in tomorrow being called the League Cup I really can't see what the fuss is. Unsurprisingly nowadays it seems to be internet fans from Essex or somewhere who don't even attend SJP who have an issue rather than we long suffering Geordies who actually go to the match.

In fact the only thing I've ever got vexed about (besides the s*** we've had to put up with on the field) was when they flogged me a bond to my seat for 500 quid and a couple of years later turfed us out into inferior seats to make way for fashion fans who have since deserted. Imagine if the FCB tried to pull that stunt.

No when Yohan rattles one in on Saturday I for one won't really give s*** what is written on the roof, who has their name on our shirt or what the fack the league we play in is called this year.

When was this then?  As for the Internet and Essex fans comment, horse s***.

When I started going - mid sixties - and for quite a few years thereafter, I seem to remember we were one of the last "big" clubs to have perimiter advertising.

I stand by that comment you deem to be horseshit, the signage definitely seems to be a bigger issue on internet sites than it is in bars on Tyneside, I can barely remember perimiter advertising, shirt and everything else sponsors, or any of the other sell outs attracting much attention at all - pre internet days of course.

Like I said turfing long standing fans out of their seats to accomodate corporate and ultimately temporary fans was a far more emotive issue.

Totally agree with that and I would also add that being a taxi driver I never get Newcastle fans talking about the signage etc.

Not that this should be very surprising as the very nature of football forums is that you dissect and discuss every tiny detail at the club.

This is also highlighted even more at most clubs when you see a massive protest organised online and at best a few hundred turn out.

There's nowt wrong with just supporting the team and enjoying the football and not giving too hoots whether a bit more advertising has been introduced to the grubby modern day football game.

For what its worth, I find it interesting hearing what the older guys make of all of this. I'm in the generation where Shirt Sponsorship has pretty much always been around. I used to think for a while when I was little that the Newcastle Bluestar WAS part of the Newcastle kit. It wasn't until I saw some old posters my Dad had that I saw we had different sponsorship before hand... and none before that. He thought it looked tacky.

So, I just find it interesting that there'll be us lot in our 20s who don't feel anything towards shirt sponsorship, while they'll those in their 40s who feel its tacky (maybe not as much now perhaps more so!).

Wonder what will happen 10/20 years time with feelings towards this current phase of sponsorship ideas (naming rights, etc).

Stadium announcer.....Goal scorer no 23 Shola Ameobi, sponsored by sports direct where you're guaranteed savings of upto 50% any day of the year of made prices........

It will be as bad as hearing Richard keys on Talk sport flogging cement.  :lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Going to play devil advocate for a second.

Could it be that the internet is more angry at the moment because the only people who have really seen the alleged new signage (that we saw on the internet) are people from the internet? We haven't had a home game yet so perhaps its not general knowledge what's happened?

Stadium announcer.....Goal scorer no 23 Shola Ameobi, sponsored by sports direct where you're guaranteed savings of upto 50% any day of the year of made prices........

That already happens at some lower league clubs. Certainly for substitutions. Player's matchday kits are often sponsored too, you can see who has which player for which game in the matchday program.

Could it be that the internet is more angry at the moment because the only people who have really seen the alleged new signage (that we saw on the internet) are people from the internet? We haven't had a home game yet so perhaps its not general knowledge what's happened?

How many turned up at the Keegan protest?

Guest Roger Kint

Aye, I'm so much more likely to by something off sportsdirect.com because of all the wonderful things Ashley has done for my club over the past few years.

This as well. Surely sales in the North East are affected by people who 'boycott' Sports Direct?

Does anyone really boycott the place though? I imagine many dont shop there but thats down to not needing to rather than not wanting to, the idea of actively boycotting the place is laughable. Btw you are aware that clicking 'like' on Facebook isnt a legally binding agreement to stay out of the place right?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I think people's desire to save money on sports goods usually over comes any idea they generally have about boycotting the shop. Can't think of anyone I know that actively protests/boycotts the place. I know plenty of mates that slag it off, but will then go and get their next pair of boots from them.  :laugh:

How many turned up at the Keegan protest?

Which one?

No idea, but I'm talking about the signage. I don't think its general knowledge at the moment. I'm not saying there's going to be a sudden uprising when there is. Just trying to explain that perhaps the reason the only place really concerned at the moment are people on websites (as the only place to find info on the signage is on the internet).

The platinum area is horrible it's a great view but it's a graveyard.

Honestly i'm embarrassed to cough let alone release last nights beer gas to the choking masses.

Oh I definitely agree with that. Atmosphere is f***ing dead there. At the Fulham game, I wanted to join in with the songs but I felt embarrassed to do so in fear of being given odd looks.

A bit unfair I think. A lot of the most passionate and long standing fans are in the PC and the atmosphere is not that bad - although I was once asked to sit down !

Of course you're correct in that the demographic of that part of the ground is very different to L7 or the Strawberry corner for example.

It has always been the same - years ago the Leazes was for radgies and produced ear splitting noise ; the Gallowgate was for young uns often accompanied by parents; the paddocks were for sort of better off people ; the popular was for long suffering moaning bastaads and the seats were for posh people - but nevertheless staunch fans - probably a bit like today's PC.

SJP always has and still can accomodate different types of fan and age group and I would passionately support any movement for a standing/singing area which would produce a real noise and atmosphere although I probably wouldn't want to be in it any more.

Euphamism, surely?

He never wanted to own the club, he only ever wanted to buy and sell it for a quick buck but the buyer he had lined up pulled out after he had already bought it and he was stuck with it.

this makes more sense to me than anything else i've ever heard about ashley's motives for buying the club

Eh, how does that make any sense whatsoever? :lol:

He never wanted to own the club, he only ever wanted to buy and sell it for a quick buck but the buyer he had lined up pulled out after he had already bought it and he was stuck with it.

this makes more sense to me than anything else i've ever heard about ashley's motives for buying the club

how doesn't it ffs?

it explains the first 2 or so years of utter ineptitude and chaos if he was trying to deal with something he never really planned on having very long, then once the realisation dawned on him he was stuck with it he started trying to get a handle on things which he's doing now in his own style

suppose it depends how quickly he intended to move it on and when any possible deal fell apart, within a few months he'd sacked allardyce and brought back king kev against all the odds etc. which might have been intended to raise the appeal of the club

how doesn't it ffs?

it explains the first 2 or so years of utter ineptitude and chaos if he was trying to deal with something he never really planned on having very long, then once the realisation dawned on him he was stuck with it he started trying to get a handle on things which he's doing now in his own style

suppose it depends how quickly he intended to move it on and when any possible deal fell apart, within a few months he'd sacked allardyce and brought back king kev against all the odds etc. which might have been intended to raise the appeal of the club

Ok, explain this scenario to me. I can't imagine anyone buying a football club they didn't want, take all the risk by not even fully checking the books, because they thought they had someone lined up to buy it off them at an inflated price.

Who on earth is this buyer who has said "Mike, I'd like to buy Newcastle, but I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment, can you just go and pay for it and I'll take it off your hands plus give you a handsome profit on it once this cheque from Nigeria clears next Tuesday"?

Edit: Aye, and what Chez said.

I dont buy the quick turnaround line.  :huff:

Very quickly when Mort was running the show we had the proper family section introduced and all though it went tits up, attempts were made to bring some structure to the club with the appointment of a football director and the scouting side etc.

Just not the sort of things you get into if its a quick sale.

Bad decision making caused the shit and sensible decision making now seems to be getting us out of it.

Because the club was publicly available to buy off the stock market so the idea that Ashley had a 'buyer lined up' once he bought it is spectacularly wrong and stupid.

Can you guess why? Words 5 and 6 in the above sentence may help.

spectacularly wrong and stupid?  yeah thanks for that mate

the club was publicly available yes, and as i recall the face value of the club at the share price was pretty decent value at the time, is it really beyond the realms of possibility MA thought he might be able to buy a club with the 2nd biggest attendance in the country and one of the best stadiums for a good price and then look to shift it quickly?  is it, really?

there are a million and one reasons why he might have bought the club but the only one any of you accept is the one from his PR people? :lol:

loving the condescension though boys :thup:

enjoy

EDIT: granted the "buyer lined up" part might not be 100% on the money but this all makes more sense than "he bought the club for shits and giggles"

Really think he decided to buy us on a bit of a whim because he thought it'd be good fun owning a football club.

I'll bet he regretted it pretty quickly.

just don't believe that anymore, some variation of the club being cheap and available then looking to improve on his money makes more sense to me

the "good fun" bit stinks of bullshit to me, he's never ran the club that way since he bought it...alls he did was drink beer in the stands a few times and wear a Smith shirt

how was Japan by the way?

John Hall is on record saying that MA's team told him they were buying the club to market their sports brands.

He also said they pushed the deal through over the far east guys by promising NO due diligence as part of the deal So the guff about MA being surprised at what he found is bollocks. He signed off the opportunity to look before buying just to push a deal through.

So I don't see MA having a buyer already once he bought.

well i think we've learned the hard about believing what "MA's team" say haven't we?

tbf buying the club when he did fits his business modus operandi, former top brand fallen on hard times and needs reviving, available at a good price....it's the reviving part where it all went wrong so he either had no intention of doing that (makes no sense), didn't/doesn't know how to (plausible) or something else...

also don't forget this was right before the crash, clubs were being bought by billionairres, americans etc. and there was still a general good feeling around football itself, the bubble was still to burst as such, as we know he's a gambler maybe he thought he could tick over until he was able to offload it at a profit

John Hall is on record saying that MA's team told him they were buying the club to market their sports brands.

He also said they pushed the deal through over the far east guys by promising NO due diligence as part of the deal So the guff about MA being surprised at what he found is bollocks. He signed off the opportunity to look before buying just to push a deal through.

So I don't see MA having a buyer already once he bought.

well i think we've learned the hard about believing what "MA's team" say haven't we?

tbf buying the club when he did fits his business modus operandi, former top brand fallen on hard times and needs reviving, available at a good price....it's the reviving part where it all went wrong so he either had no intention of doing that (makes no sense), didn't/doesn't know how to (plausible) or something else...

also don't forget this was right before the crash, clubs were being bought by billionairres, americans etc. and there was still a general good feeling around football itself, the bubble was still to burst as such, as we know he's a gambler maybe he thought he could tick over until he was able to offload it at a profit

I think that's pretty spot on.

Really think he decided to buy us on a bit of a whim because he thought it'd be good fun owning a football club.

I'll bet he regretted it pretty quickly.

just don't believe that anymore, some variation of the club being cheap and available then looking to improve on his money makes more sense to me

the "good fun" bit stinks of bullshit to me, he's never ran the club that way since he bought it...alls he did was drink beer in the stands a few times and wear a Smith shirt

how was Japan by the way?

Mint.

It's like Korea only with some sort of thought put into it's design and the occasional clean-up. Sorry Oldtype. :lol: