St James' Park

Delima

Guest elbee909

I dunno, I think you can have too much of a bad thing.  It's a shit brand.  If it'd been a decent brand then I could just about live with it.  Generic logotype, generic name - what does Sports Direct even MEAN - all it stands for is cheap shit.

If he wants to sell more and market his crap more then here's an idea - make it less fucking cheap and nasty and make it something actually desirable.

It would have been easier to tolerate if he'd left the old Newcastle United sign up, the new cheap shiny tacky plastic is an insult.

Aye.

Though haven't seen the new sign in the flesh myself but I can imagine it looking as s***/worse in real life as it does in the photos.

Guest elbee909

It would have been easier to tolerate if he'd left the old Newcastle United sign up, the new cheap shiny tacky plastic is an insult.

Yeah, making it the same logotype as Sports Direct is a poor move.  Irony being that it actually dilutes the (already minimal) impact of the Sports Direct logos.  Aesthetically it just looks moronic, and it's not like that shit's even going to be seen on TV, so that reasoning re. wanting to throw the Sports Direct brand internationally just doesn't hold up here.  It's a bit of a lose-lose situation - the benefit just isn't outweighed by the erosion of goodwill of those supporters that have to look at it.

Guest elbee909

Huh? Of course it's going to be seen on tv?!?!

Funny, I thought the cameras looked down at the pitch... and yep, not shown on MOTD once.

Guest elbee909

Before games, during warmups etc. it will be shown loads, it's already all over stock photos and news media

Doesn't change the fact that it'll hardly be seen on TV.  (Not like there's any need anyway, the logo's everywhere else.)  My point is that the cost isn't worth the benefit.  Yeah, we'll see some shots of it, but those that see it most will be those in the stadium.  Thus pointless.

Before games, during warmups etc. it will be shown loads, it's already all over stock photos and news media

Doesn't change the fact that it'll hardly be seen on TV.  (Not like there's any need anyway, the logo's everywhere else.)  My point is that the cost isn't worth the benefit.  Yeah, we'll see some shots of it, but those that see it most will be those in the stadium.  Thus pointless.

The cost will be, relatively speaking, negligible.

Don't get me wrong, I dont like it either but if I was MA I would be doing exactly what he is doing

View from my seat:

http://a.yfrog.com/img734/5158/pr2ws.jpg

Cheap and tacky just like his shops. What gets me most is that he's so cheap, he hasn't even bothered to get the stain of the old letters removed and repainted before having the new lettering installed. Actions speak louder than words.

Funny, I thought the cameras looked down at the pitch... and yep, not shown on MOTD once.

At the end of Match Choice on Sky it is a shot of the stand with the logo with the score underneath, lasts for about 4 seconds, no biggie really.  I much prefer to watch the football than the stands. Some people feel threaterned by change no matter what change it is.

Aye.

Though haven't seen the new sign in the flesh myself but I can imagine it looking as s***/worse in real life as it does in the photos.

Apparently not...

Looks fucking wank, and to add insult to injury it's smaller than the old sign (as well as being no bigger than the SD signs either side). The letters are plastic (or look it anyway), thinner than before and shiny cheap-looking crap.

At the end of Match Choice on Sky it is a shot of the stand with the logo with the score underneath, lasts for about 4 seconds, no biggie really.  I much prefer to watch the football than the stands. Some people feel threaterned by change no matter what change it is.

What does it fucking matter how often it's shown on the TV?

Everyone in that stadium apart from those in the East Stand have to stand and look at that shit for a couple of hours every home game until the cunt finally fucks off. That's enough reason to not be happy with it

I cannot fathom this 'win and everything is OK' attitude. It's not just NUFC, it's endemic in football. It is too much emotional complexity to enjoy a win but still think that the plastic is garish and tacky? It's much like enjoying watching a player banging in the goals, but at the same time knowing he's every closer to a nice profit-taking sale.

The advertising is not some Mike Ashley package deal. You do not have to demonstrate a passive attitude in order to be entitled to celebrate on field success.