St James' Park

Delima

Guest Haris Vuckic

Don't be daft man the club would lose a fortune.

How come? all it would mean is that the only way to get NUFC stuff would either be through Sports Direct or via the website.

Yes but why would he sacrifice a brand he owns & intends to make self sufficient, why would he take it directly away from his target demographic? Sports direct already stock NUFC gear, so why would NUFC want to sacrifice it's revenue?

It would be of no benefit to ashley or the club, + why they close down or adapt shops they've spent a fortune on opening?

You know what - if they were paying for it I could perhaps approach the stage in reason where I would allow myself to contemplate acceptance. Alas they are not paying for it & Ashley is further exploiting the club.

By not charging the club interest on his £280M loan he's saving the club circa £9M a year in interest charges.

Guest Haris Vuckic

You know what - if they were paying for it I could perhaps approach the stage in reason where I would allow myself to contemplate acceptance. Alas they are not paying for it & Ashley is further exploiting the club.

By not charging the club interest on his £280M loan he's saving the club circa £9M a year in interest charges.

Where did £280m come from?

Top of me head!!! How much is it actually ? £135M?? doesn't matter as he's saving the club a fortune in interest.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Top of me head!!! How much is it actually ? £135M?? doesn't matter as he's saving the club a fortune in interest.

To me that's unrelated to Sports Direct - who recorded their record profits last year - it's his own asset he's protecting with 'interest free loans' making it more saleable.

If he wants that tacky shite on our ground he should have to pay for it.

There's one thing I don't get with SD ot paying for the advertising - SD are profit making and pay tax, NUFC have been loss making and don't. It would therefore be better for Ashley to have SD pay for the advertising. There must be more to it then just using one brand to the benefit of the other, because the way he is going about it doesn't mkae sense

Its complicated.

Its completely tax inefficient if we are loss making so it makes no business sense from the perspective that he weight the interests of SD and NUFC equally. He obviously doesnt and nor should he really. SD is a public company and subject to variations in its value according to investor and business sentiment. It may be that he prefers to drive the profit numbers at SD as much as possible. However, any losses made by us need to be covered 100% by Ashley. We wont be loss-making this year though and the signage is going in places not previously used for advertising so therefore presumably this does not represent a reduction in revenue on the commercial line of the balance sheet. Its an upside for SD at no 'real' cost to NUFC so he doest charge. Possibly.

A total disgrace in any case.

If there are any oldies on here I wonder what the outcry was when the famous black and whites stripes had the first logo plastered bang in the middle of the shirt?

As one who can remember no advertising hoardings,interviews with players/managers without multi sponored backdrops and that competition we're playing in tomorrow being called the League Cup I really can't see what the fuss is. Unsurprisingly nowadays it seems to be internet fans from Essex or somewhere who don't even attend SJP who have an issue rather than we long suffering Geordies who actually go to the match.

In fact the only thing I've ever got vexed about (besides the shit we've had to put up with on the field) was when they flogged me a bond to my seat for 500 quid and a couple of years later turfed us out into inferior seats to make way for fashion fans who have since deserted. Imagine if the FCB tried to pull that stunt.

No when Yohan rattles one in on Saturday I for one won't really give shit what is written on the roof, who has their name on our shirt or what the fack the league we play in is called this year.

Unsurprisingly nowadays it seems to be internet fans from Essex or somewhere who don't even attend SJP who have an issue rather than we long suffering Geordies who actually go to the match.

Incorrect, and pretty insulting tbh.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I wouldn't say he's far wrong, there's blokes who got to the match who'll look at it agree it's rank & subsequently never think twice about it.

From time to time, I sit in the Platinum area (free tickets from my Dad's mate who has connections) so seeing the new sign will hurt my fucking eyes because it's right in my f***ing view, staring at my face :(

Guest Haris Vuckic

The platinum area is horrible it's a great view but it's a graveyard.

Honestly i'm embarrassed to cough let alone release last nights beer gas to the choking masses.

The platinum area is horrible it's a great view but it's a graveyard.

Honestly i'm embarrassed to cough let alone release last nights beer gas to the choking masses.

Oh I definitely agree with that. Atmosphere is f***ing dead there. At the Fulham game, I wanted to join in with the songs but I felt embarrassed to do so in fear of being given odd looks.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I've just given up now man. If I sit there I'll clap & stuff but people look like they are going to call the steward if you sing or stand or whatever. All corporate now.

I've just given up now man. If I sit there I'll clap & stuff but people look like they are going to call the steward if you sing or stand or whatever. All corporate now.

Unfortunately so but can't really turn down free tickets tbh. I do prefer sitting in the Leazes, at least I can sing a bit. Need to try the Gallowgate at some point like.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Level 7 balcony has always been my favourite place to sit post expansion. Right amount of good view/atmosphere. Gallowgate is bouncing but East mirrors the lower milburn in more ways than one! Leazes seems quieter these days partly because they given so much room to away fans.

Guest sydneycove

Of course there are. Just as there are people who've never been within 500 miles of SJP who won't give a flying f*** as they never have to sit there and look at it.

Fairly unfair statement to be honest. Fans basically anywhere out of England will have been conditioned to this.

Of course there are. Just as there are people who've never been within 500 miles of SJP who won't give a flying f*** as they never have to sit there and look at it.

Fairly unfair statement to be honest. Fans basically anywhere out of England will have been conditioned to this.

Did you even read the previous posts?

As one who can remember no advertising hoardings,interviews with players/managers without multi sponored backdrops and that competition we're playing in tomorrow being called the League Cup I really can't see what the fuss is. Unsurprisingly nowadays it seems to be internet fans from Essex or somewhere who don't even attend SJP who have an issue rather than we long suffering Geordies who actually go to the match.

In fact the only thing I've ever got vexed about (besides the s*** we've had to put up with on the field) was when they flogged me a bond to my seat for 500 quid and a couple of years later turfed us out into inferior seats to make way for fashion fans who have since deserted. Imagine if the FCB tried to pull that stunt.

No when Yohan rattles one in on Saturday I for one won't really give s*** what is written on the roof, who has their name on our shirt or what the fack the league we play in is called this year.

When was this then?  As for the Internet and Essex fans comment, horse shit.

http://chrisreed.brandrepublic.com/2011/09/20/sportsdirect-com-have-gone-too-far-with-newcastle-united-branding/

SportsDirect.com’s owner, Mike Ashley, also owns Newcastle United, currently 4th in the Premiership. He never wanted to own the club, he only ever wanted to buy and sell it for a quick buck but the buyer he had lined up pulled out after he had already bought it and he was stuck with it.

Since that point he has got the club relegated, sold all its best players and slowly but surely started using the club’s ground, St James Park as a massive billboard for his terrible sports shop brand SportsDirect.com.

He never wanted to own the club, he only ever wanted to buy and sell it for a quick buck but the buyer he had lined up pulled out after he had already bought it and he was stuck with it.

this makes more sense to me than anything else i've ever heard about ashley's motives for buying the club