St James' Park

Delima

Sir John Hall: "I was told that the man behind the deal was Mike Ashley and I sat with his representatives over 3 days thrashing out a deal. I was keen to know why they wanted the club and they were quite honest. They wanted to market their sports goods in the Far East and would use the club to help do this."

http://www.fansonline.net/newcastleunited/article.php?id=940

That's not exactly bad news, as to market their sports goods in the far east they'll need a successful team on the pitch. It actually gives me hope that they have some sort of vision rather than just run the club as cheap as possible.

Sir John Hall: "I was told that the man behind the deal was Mike Ashley and I sat with his representatives over 3 days thrashing out a deal. I was keen to know why they wanted the club and they were quite honest. They wanted to market their sports goods in the Far East and would use the club to help do this."

More lies from Ashley. They're making moves into Europe, not the Far East. :lol:

I wonder what the only other group interested, the Malaysians, wanted us for? Probably using the club to increase the win percentages of their betting syndicate knowing our luck.

That's not exactly bad news, as to market their sports goods in the far east they'll need a successful team on the pitch. It actually gives me hope that they have some sort of vision rather than just run the club as cheap as possible.

Not necessarily. NUFC has quite a large fanbase in Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia etc. I watched the Villa match on an Indonesian stream - the more times the SD logo is captured on-screen, the more successful his exploitation of NUFC is.

I'm not sure that SD will ever be able to compete in South-East Asia...

Looks fucking horrible. I get the impression he has ideas like this, implements them and then sits and thinks about what he can do next. What could he do next? Sports Direct on the seats, similar to the seats at Old Trafford seems inevitable, what else could he do?

Aye, I'm so much more likely to by something off sportsdirect.com because of all the wonderful things Ashley has done for my club over the past few years.

This as well. Surely sales in the North East are affected by people who 'boycott' Sports Direct?

Looks fucking horrible. I get the impression he has ideas like this, implements them and then sits and thinks about what he can do next. What could he do next? Sports Direct on the seats, similar to the seats at Old Trafford seems inevitable, what else could he do?

Give Beefy a lifetime supply of Balti pies in exchange for tattooing SportsDirect.com on his gut?

Aye, I'm so much more likely to by something off sportsdirect.com because of all the wonderful things Ashley has done for my club over the past few years.

This as well. Surely sales in the North East are affected by people who 'boycott' Sports Direct?

For every person who boycotts Sports Direct.... there are 2 mackems.

Not necessarily. NUFC has quite a large fanbase in Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia etc. I watched the Villa match on an Indonesian stream - the more times the SD logo is captured on-screen, the more successful his exploitation of NUFC is.

I'm not sure that SD will ever be able to compete in South-East Asia...

[tongue-in-cheek] He's not competing for sales in South East Asia, he's competing for a work force.  Now the local workers get to see where all their hard work is going. They can watch the game on TV with the kids and say.....See that company "Sports Direct" whose logo is all over the stadium.....I make the stuff that Sports Direct sell.  Kids look up a Mum/Dad and say WOW...when I grow up I want to work making Sports Direct stuff too [/tongue-in-cheek]

Well..speaking of SportsDirect expanding into Asia..

Im in Malaysia right now and earlier this year, SportsDirect opened their 1st outlet in this country. Im not sure if it's the 1st in Asia or not but it's definitely the 1st here..

The thing is, the outlet is situated in an industrial area where there are more factories than homes, more foreign workers than locals and they are operating out of a warehouse which I'm pretty sure must have been some sort of factory before..the thing that makes them such a cheap company is that 2km down the same road, u have one of the country's biggest and famous shopping malls..it's always packed with visitors and have all the other big name boutiques such as Adidas, Nike and the local sports shop..the town of this whole place is quiet famous and very modern plus, money making is a boom..but obviously, SportsDirect sees opening an outlet in the shopping mall or even a shop in the surrounding areas as being too costly.. so they decide to open an outlet in an old warehouse in a place that no one goes to except foreign factory workers..

And to those who think that spreading the SportsDirect brand also spreads the Newcastle United brand image, think again..I just went there last week and you can only get the current season's home shirt..that's the only thing Newcastle United related at SportsDirect Malaysia..but you will get tonnes of big 4 clubs merchandise..yes, obviously they have more fans here, but not Ashley or SportsDirect give a damn about improving the image and gaining more fanbase for Newcastle United..all they care for is SportsDirect's income..

Guest Haris Vuckic

You know what - if they were paying for it I could perhaps approach the stage in reason where I would allow myself to contemplate acceptance. Alas they are not paying for it & Ashley is further exploiting the club.

There's one thing I don't get with SD ot paying for the advertising - SD are profit making and pay tax, NUFC have been loss making and don't. It would therefore be better for Ashley to have SD pay for the advertising. There must be more to it then just using one brand to the benefit of the other, because the way he is going about it doesn't mkae sense

There's one thing I don't get with SD ot paying for the advertising - SD are profit making and pay tax, NUFC have been loss making and don't. It would therefore be better for Ashley to have SD pay for the advertising. There must be more to it then just using one brand to the benefit of the other, because the way he is going about it doesn't mkae sense

Perhaps he is basing it on the theory that he is likely to own SportsDirect forever (or indeed a very long time) whilst NUFC he is likely to get bored of in say 10 years time and sell on.  Most likely when he sells it on there will also be something in the contract stating SportsDirect related advertising should stay in situ for another 5 years.

Sports Direct are supposed to be moving into a new unit in Eldon Square, apparently it's going to be in the new extension which opened last year however apart from the unit on the street level next too cafe nero their isn't any available space. So either someone in the new bit of Eldon Square is moving out (probably Guess if it's anyone) or they are waiter refurbishing the store or possibly moving into one of the vacant units next to the NUFC club store.

I guess NUFC club stores will soon become Sports Direct stores with NUFC concessions.