St James' Park

Delima

I'm struggling to understand your reasoning that Sports Direct should be a "side interest", it brings in what, 10 times the revenue? Obviously it makes large profits too, which NUFC doesn't...

Why should Newcastle United and Sports Direct be associated? Because they are owned by the same person? Do all sports clubs owners associate the clubs they own with other organisations in their portfolio?

The only thing that links NUFC and SD is Mike Ashley. Sports Direct isn't a local company, it has no historical ties to the club - why should we have to accept providing them with free advertising that stains our stadium? I wasn't trying to suggest that SD should be a side interest to Ashley, but why should the fans of this club be forced to support his brand?

"to promote his side interest" So that's exactly what you were trying to suggest. ???

That is the only reason for the association... Which is wrong. He is using NUFC to promote his own company, that is what I disagree with.

The 2008 and 2009 accounts suggest NUFC paid SD £47,000 for the privilege of branding in SD! The concept that we are in fact 'supporting' SD is strengthened, when you consider the opportunity cost of not having a stadium sponsor that actually pays for advertising...

It looks truly horrible and, personally, I see it as having degraded a great stadium.

But as far as the money side is concerned it's part of the deal with having Ashley own us. Just reading this forum it's obvious that plenty of people want him gone. As ever it's up to the individual as how much good they think he has done and is doing. But if we were funded by externally borrowed money we would be paying huge chunks of interest. In fact I shudder to think what rate we would be paying. If there is anyone around who would lend £140 million (or even half that) to a technically insolvent business they would want a substantial margin for doing so.

Ashley is a package deal - like it or not.

Spot on that.  They might not be paying us, but we are not paying him currently either.  As much as it looks fucking shit, is a shit brand etc, there is not alot we can really do about it.

If we have, for example, 5M coming in from xSponsor each year and it went to Ashley there would be uproar.  He cannot win either way, according to most that is.

I'm struggling to understand your reasoning that Sports Direct should be a "side interest", it brings in what, 10 times the revenue? Obviously it makes large profits too, which NUFC doesn't...

Why should Newcastle United and Sports Direct be associated? Because they are owned by the same person? Do all sports clubs owners associate the clubs they own with other organisations in their portfolio?

The only thing that links NUFC and SD is Mike Ashley. Sports Direct isn't a local company, it has no historical ties to the club - why should we have to accept providing them with free advertising that stains our stadium? I wasn't trying to suggest that SD should be a side interest to Ashley, but why should the fans of this club be forced to support his brand?

"to promote his side interest" So that's exactly what you were trying to suggest. ???

That is the only reason for the association... Which is wrong. He is using NUFC to promote his own company, that is what I disagree with.

The 2008 and 2009 accounts suggest NUFC paid SD £47,000 for the privilege of branding in SD! The concept that we are in fact 'supporting' SD is strengthened, when you consider the opportunity cost of not having a stadium sponsor that actually pays for advertising...

It looks truly horrible and, personally, I see it as having degraded a great stadium.

But as far as the money side is concerned it's part of the deal with having Ashley own us. Just reading this forum it's obvious that plenty of people want him gone. As ever it's up to the individual as how much good they think he has done and is doing. But if we were funded by externally borrowed money we would be paying huge chunks of interest. In fact I shudder to think what rate we would be paying. If there is anyone around who would lend £140 million (or even half that) to a technically insolvent business they would want a substantial margin for doing so.

Sums the situation up.

People need to get away from the reasoning that they don't like Ashley and therefore anything that harms him or his business is good for the club. In practice, it can work the other way. If Sports Direct flourishes because of its association with the club, then that can encourage greater investment in the team to raise the club's profile in overseas markets still further. Of course that's less likely to happen if Ashley is bombarded by hostile messages about his involvement.

The other point is - what's the alternative? The local businessman made good isn't going to be able to compete at the top end of the game. There aren't that many oil billionaires around and their room for manoevre is likely to be squeezed by Financial Fair Play. We've seen money spent at QPR and Liverpool by new owners recently but they've made it clear that it's a one-off and the clubs are going to have to balance the books. (Questionable whether these time-limited spending sprees work anyway, but that's another issue)

Sums the situation up.

People need to get away from the reasoning that they don't like Ashley and therefore anything that harms him or his business is good for the club. In practice, it can work the other way. If Sports Direct flourishes because of its association with the club, then that can encourage greater investment in the team to raise the club's profile in overseas markets still further. Of course that's less likely to happen if Ashley is bombarded by hostile messages about his involvement.

The other point is - what's the alternative? The local businessman made good isn't going to be able to compete at the top end of the game. There aren't that many oil billionaires around and their room for manoevre is likely to be squeezed by Financial Fair Play. We've seen money spent at QPR and Liverpool by new owners recently but they've made it clear that it's a one-off and the clubs are going to have to balance the books. (Questionable whether these time-limited spending sprees work anyway, but that's another issue)

This is the thing for me, all the other fly by nights who may want to get their grubby hands on our club for much more sinister reasons.

An English based sports magnate should be an ideal type of owner to have. Less chance of him getting bored like an overseas owner and more chance of the "marriage" benefitting both companies over the longer term.

Im also not as snobby about the Sports Direct brand as some. Is it any worse than Venkys chickens or Tombola! Imagine the east stand Newcastle Sign with a rooster either side of it!

Hopefully a period of calm can unfold.

Sums the situation up.

This is the thing for me, all the other fly by nights who may want to get their grubby hands on our club for much more sinister reasons.

An English based sports magnate should be an ideal type of owner to have. Less chance of him getting bored like an overseas owner and more chance of the "marriage" benefitting both companies over the longer term.

Im also not as snobby about the Sports Direct brand as some. Is it any worse than Venkys chickens or Tombola! Imagine the east stand Newcastle Sign with a rooster either side of it!

Hopefully a period of calm can unfold.

Imagine the east stand Newcastle sign with a cock either side of it !

So is the 'Mike hasn't taken a penny out of the club' line just another lie? Because if this is some kind of mutual beneficial arrangement, then this must be payment in kind? Unless Sports Direct are sending over their head of marketing to play left-back.