St James' Park

Delima

You can 100% see why the arena site would appeal.  It’s still in the city centre (just), it takes roughly the same length of time to walk there as SJP does in terms of most of Newcastle’s pubs (I’m sure a key consideration for owners …), it’s much closer to the train station, and dramatic aerial shots above the ground on match days would have the city’s bridges lined up behind it.  It’s actually a more visually appealing location if done right.

Not saying we will move there.  But it wouldn’t be the worst idea. 

21 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You can 100% see why the arena site would appeal.  It’s still in the city centre (just), it takes roughly the same length of time to walk there as SJP does in terms of most of Newcastle’s pubs (I’m sure a key consideration for owners …), it’s much closer to the train station, and dramatic aerial shots above the ground on match days would have the city’s bridges lined up behind it.  It’s actually a more visually appealing location if done right.

Not saying we will move there.  But it wouldn’t be the worst idea. 

It’s potentially a spectacular location with the river and bridges. Would also be a catalyst for huge investment in that area of the city.

Edited by Whitley mag

Arena site is the only place that I think makes sense if moving becomes inevitable.

There’s going to be huge resistance to building next door, as there was in the 90s. I don’t think it’s a battle the owners will really want to have.

Not sure what the current state of the arena site is (heard loads of contradictory suggestions about who owns it, plans for it once the new Sage opens etc) but if they can get that entire area between the railway and Skinnerburn Road it should be plenty big enough. Absolutely phenomenal location too, even though that side of the Redheugh is pretty shabby. Loads of potential around that part of the city that you imagine the Reubens would be all over.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

‘The Quayside Stadium’ has a good feel to it to me :) 

Also a sponsors dream as train passengers would pass it en masse every day heading into Central. 

If they went with a design like Mercedes’ Benz with a large window, they could frame a view of the bridges and river from inside the stadium.

They could build something that would be unique and best in class on that site.

Personally love the idea of the arena site. The club could run boats down the Tyne carry fans from as far as Shields. Build a dock/fanzone. Entering Newcastle via the Redheugh Bridge by car or train or metro for the home and away fans the view of the ground would look spectacular.

Always been a proponent of moving to the Arena site. Close to the train station. Amazing views coming into Newcastle via car or train. Get some life into that area of town. It’s practically begging to happen. 

Feyenoord were going to build a new stadium on the waterfront and revitalise the surrounding area. Let the Reubens at it in Newcastle. 

https://arquitecturaviva.com/works/new-feyenoord-stadium-in-rotterdam

IMG_3361.webp

IMG_3362.webp

Edited by Miggys First Goal

7 minutes ago, RS said:

Owners have absolutely no plans for moving the stadium. Development is a definite.  Met the owner a while back and asked him directly. 

MBS? Wow! Are you BoRiS Johnson? 

4 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Sortedtheglobe.jpg.7daf5538240567749871221a9e850e37.jpg

Used to work on the east end of the Business Park, this was a regular haunt at lunchtimes.

Watched the WC game against Tunisia at France 98 in there.

I wouldn't be dead against a move down to that part of town and the arguments are fairly compelling, but it's a stretch to say it's just as close to the centre as Gallowgate in terms of pubs and food, like. It's not that close to parts of the centre that people tend to go to :lol: would definitely have a mackem nearly but not quite town centre feel to it I reckon

Edited by OpenC

4 hours ago, christ said:

Arena site is the only place that I think makes sense if moving becomes inevitable.

There’s going to be huge resistance to building next door, as there was in the 90s. I don’t think it’s a battle the owners will really want to have.

Not sure what the current state of the arena site is (heard loads of contradictory suggestions about who owns it, plans for it once the new Sage opens etc) but if they can get that entire area between the railway and Skinnerburn Road it should be plenty big enough. Absolutely phenomenal location too, even though that side of the Redheugh is pretty shabby. Loads of potential around that part of the city that you imagine the Reubens would be all over.

A lot of folk back then were firmly against the proposals because they intended to build a new stadium AND retain the existing one (albeit with a reduced capacity) - Leazes Park would have been reduced to little more than a walkway between two huge stadia.

An added problem was that Hall's reputation was such that many didn't believe a thing he said (the man was a populist à la Boris Johnson). 

If the Arena site is available again, then that is the best choice for relocation imo. There are limitless possibilities there and the regenerative effects for the south-west of the city would be utterly transformative.

9 minutes ago, OpenC said:

I wouldn't be dead against a move down to that part of town and the arguments are fairly compelling, but it's a stretch to say it's just as close to the centre as Gallowgate in terms of pubs and food, like. It's not that close to parts of the centre that people tend to go to :lol: would definitely have a mackem nearly but not quite town centre feel to it I reckon

It’s away from the retail core, but still city centre. It would be much easier to get too for away fans, and those to the west, and south of the city.

The thing about a stadium there is that if you build it there, you are having to redevelop the whole area around it, because those garages, show rooms, even under the tunnels, is all grim as fuck. To be honest, building a new arena on there would have been great, if they decided to do the whole area up.

You do on the plus side, have a heck of a lot of land to build an excellent stadium with a decent footprint.

1 hour ago, RS said:

Owners have absolutely no plans for moving the stadium. Development is a definite.  Met the owner a while back and asked him directly. 

Basically heard the same tbf. I'm sure some in the council have even been informally suggesting the Arena/Forth Yards development area as a potential stadium site off the record. The site is a nightmare to develop for the intended mixed use/resi regeneration because of all the contamination in the ground and the patchwork ownership situation. It seems almost impossible to bring forward without some levelling up funding. A developer with unlimited resources to consolidate the ownership situation and remediate the site actually makes a lot of sense. 

But apparently they're not interested and are determined to develop the existing stadium.

I'm not a fan of a stadium down there on a personal level. Some of my least favourite grounds I've been to are new builds on peripheral development areas disconnected from city centres. Nearly always seem completely soulless no matter how much money is thrown at them. I know it's not miles away but it's still more peripheral than the current stadium. Indeed much of what would sell it as a project would be that it would underpin creating a new area of the city there.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Basically heard the same tbf. I'm sure some in the council have even been informally suggesting the Arena/Forth Yards development area as a potential stadium site off the record. The site is a nightmare to develop for the intended mixed use/resi regeneration because of all the contamination in the ground and the patchwork ownership situation. It almost seems almost impossible to bring forward without some levelling up funding. A developer with unlimited resources to consolidate the ownership situation and remediate the site actually makes a lot of sense. 

But apparently they're not interested and are determined to develop the existing stadium.

I'm not a fan of a stadium on arena site on a personal level. Some of my least favourite grounds I've been to are new builds on peripheral development areas disconnected from city centres. Nearly always seem completely soulless no matter how much money is thrown at them. I know it's not miles away but it's still more peripheral than the current stadium. 

The arena is roughly the same distance from the city centre as SJP

9 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It’s away from the retail core, but still city centre. It would be much easier to get too for away fans, and those to the west, and south of the city.

The thing about a stadium there is that if you build it there, you are having to redevelop the whole area around it, because those garages, show rooms, even under the tunnels, is all grim as fuck. To be honest, building a new arena on there would have been great, if they decided to do the whole area up.

You do on the plus side, have a heck of a lot of land to build an excellent stadium with a decent footprint.

Are there many precedents for building stadia in that sort of area and the 'have to redevelop the whole area' thing actually coming to pass? I don't actually know. How did it work out at Sunlun, though?

I'm not arsed about the away fan experience one little bit :lol: