Zulte-Waragem 1 - 3 Newcastle United - Post match thoughts

Dave

First-half diagnosis?

Didn't play particularly well, not much cutting edge or pace.

Second-half diagnosis?

Picked it up a bit and kept the ball far better.

Full-time diagnosis?

Not bad overall, nice win, still no bloody clean sheet. Our movement off the ball as a team still needs more work, there's not enough urgency. Hopefully we'll rest Martins for the second leg.

Star man for United?

Bramble. One of his dominant games (albeit against weaker opposition). Dominant in the air, quick, good tackles and distribution, covered well.

Worst United player?

Milner/Baba. Milner tryed hard and had some nice touches playing good triangles with Nobby and Dyer. Didn't produce anything though.

Baba looked alright on the ball and kept possesion well. Didn't do much of note though and gave away a stupid free kick that they scored from.

Opposition comment?

Clearly not as good as us but seemed to be a well coached unit. Sat back and attacked on the break and looked like their movement could cause problems. Their technical skills didn't match this though and they lacked end product. Landen Van Steenbrugge is a fantastic name.

Toon-pros?

The win. Kept the ball well in the second half, although not under a huge amount of pressure. Excellent performances from Titus and Nobby. Duff showed a few moment of class in the second half. Didn't just hoof it forward every single bloody time we got the ball.

Toon-cons?

Team still doesn't play with enough pace and urgency. When we recover possesion we jog forward rather than run. Too many players standing still not offering options. Martins link up play looked quite good at times but he's not making enough runs behind the defence. Wish we'd pushed for a fourth goal.

Post-match feelings?

Relief.

Ratings:

Harper - 6 - Didn't have much to do

Baba - 6 - Kept ball well but gave away stupid free kick that led to goal.

Bramble - 8.5 - See above, very solid all game.

Taylor - 7 - Quiet game, didn't do much wrong.

Nobby - 8 - Used the ball well, covered inside brilliantly (his best strength as a FB). Still loses track of his man outside a little though. Very good allround game.

Duff - 7 - Hit and miss. Lost the ball a few too many times trying to beat his man, and sometimes held on to it too long without going anywhere, but it came off a couple of times. At least he's trying to attack the opposition and make something happen. Great run for penalty, terrible dive for penalty. Still looked full of running at the end of the match.

Butt - 7.5 - Good game, broke up play well, harried and good passing, spreading the play well.

Dyer - 8 - Played well, neat passing and a couple of good runs behind the defence. A bit static at time when not bursting forward and didn't run at the defence much (although they were sitting back). Made an effort defensively, looked tired in the last 10 minutes.

Milner - 6 - Some nice passes and tried hard, one good left-footed shot that went a bit over, but apart from that didn't produce much or get behind the fullback.

Le Sib - 8 - I'm not his biggest fan but he did a good job today. Worked very hard, good in build up play, although not creative, and cleared a few defensive set pieces. Very well taken goal.

Oba - 7 - His touch and linking play around the box have come on a lot. Didn't hit his two good chances cleanly. Spends too much time outside the box and not enough in it. Calm penalty.

Luque - N/A - Came on for 8 minutes, can't remember him touching the ball. Not really his fault as by then we weren't interested in attacking.

Roeder - 6 - Good team selection (due to lack of alternatives). Could have given a couple of youngsters a go after we went 3-1 up.

I thought Duff put in a very decent performance in the second half to be quite frank. Would like to see him release the ball earlier, his main and only flaw throughout the game, but he tore the right-back to pieces (granted, the opposition was abysmal), but it's definitely an improvement and it's nice to see his spark returning. This really should just kick him on, and with another good performance next week, hopefully things will start to snowball.

Not particularly impressed with the dive, though. I don't think he needed to - because he would have scored anyway. It wasn't that tight an angle. But, atleast the fact that he was going to score, makes the goal actually justifable. Not impressed by the dive though.

The defense looks far more stable with a proper left back and Nobby at right back. Ramage or Huntington are not left backs and Carr well he is just not a footballer. With Gooch's performances being solid enough in his two games I can see our defence being a lot stronger that it has at times this season.

Still poor goal to conceed but happy with the result and general run of the game!

Titus was THE man tonight, good work fella. Dave, are you sure you were watching the right match, mate? :p

Some things that amused me tonight:

When they brought on one of their subs, John Helm said something along the lines of: "He's a young lad of 20, and has only been with the club since the Reformation" :lol:

Joe Royle said Nobby Solano has "a decent turn of pace". :lol:

Albert Luque running in a manner that can only be described as: like a girl, when chasing a ball into the box. :lol: :lol:

Titus was THE man tonight, good work fella. Dave, are you sure you were watching the right match, mate? :p

?

I said he had a good game tonight, only that he still made some elementary errors that invited pressure.

Some things that amused me tonight:

When they brought on one of their subs, John Helm said something along the lines of: "He's a young lad of 20, and has only been with the club since the Reformation" :lol:

Joe Royle said Nobby Solano has "a decent turn of pace". :lol:

Albert Luque running in a manner that can only be described as: like a girl, when chasing a ball into the box. :lol: :lol:

:lol: How slllooowww did run that seem?

?

I said he had a good game tonight, only that he still made some elementary errors that invited pressure.

I'm not sure I can remember any, unless you count the ball that hit Taylor?

?

Yeah I count that. There were a couple of others too.

Doesn't mean I can't praise him overall though.

?

He is doing this for years ;D

?

Yeah I count that. There were a couple of others too.

Doesn't mean I can't praise him overall though.

I'm not meaning to argue or anything, just think he had a class game and I honestly can't remember any mistakes, apart from the Taylor thing possibly. I'm not having a go, my comment was meant to be light-hearted.

I thought Martins had a poor game. He's still got a lot to learn about his decision-making, and often looked a bit greedy.

The penalty should have been taken by Solano. Who takes penalties should be decided before the game by the manager, and it feels a bit amateurish for a striker to be pleading to take one just to get his name on the scoresheet.

I'm not meaning to argue or anything, just think he had a class game and I honestly can't remember any mistakes, apart from the Taylor thing possibly. I'm not having a go, my comment was meant to be light-hearted.
There was the header from Taylor's chipped pass right at the end that went a bit astray. He took a heavy touch in the first half bringing the ball out of defence that their striker almost nicked off him. He got there first though. Can't think of anything else offhand myself. Thought he was excellent tonight. That stretching clearence when the ball was chipped through behind him and Baba was top class, not just to read it and reach it but to flick it to the right out of danger.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

I thought Martins had a poor game. He's still got a lot to learn about his decision-making, and often looked a bit greedy.

The penalty should have been taken by Solano. Who takes penalties should be decided before the game by the manager, and it feels a bit amateurish for a striker to be pleading to take one just to get his name on the scoresheet.

Im sure he wanted to make up for the miss against Everton and todays penalty was a good oppotunity, because it wouldnt be fatal if he missed...

Ratings

Harper - 6.5 - had nothing to do.

Solano - 8 - used the ball fantastically, played the pass of the match for our first goal and was key passer to our attacking moves.

Taylor - 7 - was solid did not have to much to defend.

Bramble - 8.5 - (MOTM) dominant in every one on one battle and anticipated fantastically tonight.

Babayaro - 7 - used the ball well and was very comfortable however arguably at fault for the lead up to our goal but arguably harsh refereeing.

Milner - 7 - worked hard and played his part in some good triangle play with Solano and Dyer. 

Dyer - 8 - the "movement" player in some fantastic triangle play with Solano, Milner, and his forward movement cursed lots of problems.

Butt - 6.5 - for me another disappointing performance following on from the Liverpool match he is for me a poor mans Parker at winning the ball back and breaking up play in my opinion.

Duff - 7.5 - beat his man time and time again one of which led to Martins goal and put in some good balls that where well defended.

Martins - 7 - was not on fire tonight but got his customary goal.

Sibierski - 7.5 - worked hard and offered himself at every opportunity for our midfield.

There was the header from Taylor's chipped pass right at the end that went a bit astray. He took a heavy touch in the first half bringing the ball out of defence that their striker almost nicked off him. He got there first though. Can't think of anything else offhand myself. Thought he was excellent tonight. That stretching clearence when the ball was chipped through behind him and Baba was top class, not just to read it and reach it but to flick it to the right out of danger.

Like I said, I don't want to argue, but:

The header was due to Taylor hammering it at him way above his head, he did well to get anything on it, Harper had loads of time, but inexplicably put it out for a throw, instead of clearing it.

A heavy touch, which he easily got himself out of is hardly a big deal, is it? I don't see any of the other players heavy touches been deemed worthy of a mention.

Nonsense. You want your goalscoring centre-forwrds to be greedy for crying out loud! I think it's great to see him so desperate to get his name on the scoresheet. It's not 'just' to get his name on the scoresheet - it's not 'just' that. He's the number 9 centre-forward and he is desperate to be top goalscorer, and justfiy his price tag - and so he should do. I'm fecking glad Shearer was greedy...

I thought he had a poor game aswell, one of his worst this season without a doubt, but i can't agree with what you've said there for a second.

What did Roeder say after the match?

Didn't look too convinced in my opinion. But he said that overall he was pleased with the performance, very unhappy about the goal conceded, and was disappointed by the sloppyness at times, not going to get complacent but pleased overall.