Zulte-Waragem 1 - 3 Newcastle United - Post match thoughts

Dave

Duff was the winger we saw at Chelsea

No wonder they flogged him for £5m then.

If Duff plays like that every single game, i'll be a very, very happy man.

I'll feel robbed, but there you go.

Difficult to really assess individual performances because the opposition was so weak. It was good to see Duff going past people but it all looked very easy. Likewise Bramble at the back, who won everything without looking like he was having to battle.

A bit frustrating that our passing wasn't a bit better, because we could have got more.

Guest andynufc84

Nowt special but decent job done

I thought we were very wasteful in posession at times and then we would knock it around for a bit.

We obviously must not waste posession easily against better quality opposistion, otherwise we'll sharp be out of this competition.

Bramble was immense imo, remember one dodgy moment I think. My MOM.

Duff had moments of his Blackburn days, gives me a little bit of hope he can get back to being a very good player.

Milner was the bloke Towelie see's every game for once.

Martins tried too much and must have read the board where people were saying this was his chance to score a few as he hardly passed.

Dyer was very productive with pace and forward runs but faded.

Sibierski was really pissing me off at one point but his goal was very good.

Solano was just Solano.

Butt was quiet after and early booking.

Baba was quiet and poor with stupid fouls.

Taylor made one stupid foul which Butt really went mental at but was ok other than that.

Harper, don't think he could have done much with the goal and apart from a good save didnt have much to do.

SO insanely comfortable. We could have absolutely obliterated them if we wanted to. But that was the thing - we didn't want to. It was frustrating.

Martins and Milner were shite. Special mentions to Duff and Bramble. Bramble was superb at the back and Duff was the winger we saw at Chelsea/Blackburn. For the first time all season, i was optimistic when he was on the ball.

Duff was awful barring two decent runs in the second half, you can't have seen much of him at Blackburn to come out with that.

Harper 6

Solano 8 - MoM, best player we have at the moment.

Taylor 6

Bramble 7 - Uncharacteristically neat performance, nowhere near 'outstanding'.

Babayaro 6

Milner 6

Butt 7

Dyer 6 - Faded badly, should have been taken off around the hour mark.

Duff 5

Martins 5

Sibierski 7

I would be tempted to bench the likes of Taylor, Martins, Milner and Dyer as they are too important to risk. Problem is who else do we play?

Taylor=Huntington

Martins=Luque

Milner=?

Dyer=Parker,Pattison ;D ;D

Solano and Dyer were my men of the match

Sibi never stopped hunting and I thought Babayaro had a solid game too, only error was that free kick but he did well tonight. Duff deserved a goal for his workrate, hes gettin his fitness up thankfully

Harper

Solano --- Edgar --- Bramble --- Huntington

Duff --- Parker --- Butt --- O'Brien

Martins --- Luque

Subs: Srnicek, Taylor, Babayaro, Milner, Pattison, Lua Lua, Carroll

Why not? Just go for it. We're through.

He was great on the right-wing against Liverpool, though, Nobby, so i wouldn't be against having him start there in the return leg. I still believe that his delivery and passing ability is second to none - and i just want to see goals in the second leg. We really could destroy these mugs if we wanted to. I want to see another Ventspils (H) mentality, where we absolutely peppered their goal from start to finish, as we should do against shite part-timers.

Only, score, this time...

I thought Duff was disgusting. Not only did he dive for the penalty, but he just doesn't look like a professional athlete. He irrefutably has technique and skill, but Ian Harte could beat him for pace at the minute. He was never tremendously speedy, and I wonder if he will ever be quick enough to beat people and still have time to put in a ball/shoot. Looking forward to getting N'Zogbia back.

Disappointed in Sibierski too, despite his goal. He was just a beanpole for the whole match.

That said, there were many bright spots from the game - notably the performances of Bramble, Nobby and Dyer.

I hate it that we've dived for two penalties in as many games. Very un-Newcastle.