Martins 10, 22 years old

McCarthy 10, 29 years old

Kuyt 9, 26 years old

Johnson 9, 26 years old

Anelka 8, 27 years old

Bellamy 7, 27 years old

Berbatov 6,26 years old

Shevchenko 3, 30 years old

No question in my mind that Martins was the best purchase- brought speed to a team that desperately needed it.  Great this season; also a player that you can build a future on.

I'd rate them...

THE BRILLANT: Where would these teams be without the acquisition?

1) Martins

2) Kanu

3) McCarthy

SURPRISINGLY GOOD

----------------------

4) Anelka

5) Johnson

THE GOOD

----------

6) Kuyt

7) Berbatov

THE BAD

------------

8.  Bellamy-- they didn't need him.

UGLY

-------

9) Shevchenko -- a disaster; done more damage (team chemistry) than good

Anelka (Fenerbache to Bolton 8mill)

Started 27 games,  substitute appearances 1,  goals 8

Sibierski (Man city to Toon free)

started 18 games,  substitute appearances 12,  goals 8

That puts the Sib's contribution into perspective for me.

no it doesn't...it's got little to do with goals,but how well the player plays and how well the team plays with that player in.

So you're assuming I didn't think of that and i'm just accepting he has scored goals for us through sloppy play, shy performances and general Albert Luque-ness?

No.

Counting goals is too simplistic, it is a team game, there are other things to consider. Obviously.

What is more simplistic than being a striker?  You can consider anything you want, but at the end of

the day, it's goals that matter for this lot.  Players like Duff and Milner SHOULD be providing service to

Oba and banging the odd goal in the back of the net. 

i agree that kanu's first half season is a total fluke - i reckon he'll have another month-long stint without scoring.

the best bit of business imo has been mccarthy, with martins coming in second.

berbatov and kuyt have also done reasonably well - but i honestly think berbatov is still some way off being a top pl forward.

johnson is a good deal for everton - will always score quite a few.

the biggest dissapointment has to be sheva - but he may still come good!

As this was a thread to see if anyone would give Berbatov credit, I might as well appease Kingdawson.

Out of that list the two strikers I'd most like at Newcastle are Martins and Berbatov, what a fucking partnership that would be. Berbatov looks class whenever he plays and has done well to score 14 goals in such an average team, much like Martins for us, and both are two of the youngest out of the list suggested. You have to wonder how well they'd do with settled partners beside them and a creative midfield in to boot. Berbatov doesn't have many PL goals at all, mind, which is a worry. But as I've said previously, Spurs are pretty average. How the feck have they scored 4 less goals than us? (In one less game, mind.)

Kanu and McCarthy don't have much left in their careers and so surely can't be considered great investments, like these two. I would say that Martins and Berbatov also have the highest chance of succeeding at the highest level from this point onwards.

The problem for me with Berbatov is that he looks like a drag queen that hasn't had time to take all his make up off! Freak!

Hadaway and shite man, he's like the second coming of Daveed...

...what's with the glove things he wears, though? Does look fairly mincey.

The league is the acid test.

Agreed, it's all about the golden boot and you don't pick that up scoring against lower division or second rate European clubs.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41382000/jpg/_41382635_pres_boot416.jpg

Everything considered it has to be Kanu. O0

I said in the summer I would be happy if we sign any of the 10 millions rated players, Martins, Kuyt, Berbatov, Johnson, Bent.

All of them are good players who are not overpriced or underpriced.

But best bit of buisness must be McCarthy and Kanu. Cost little but very effective.

However I would still prefer the 10m rated players as they are good players who apart from scoring goals, contribute to the game in overall.

But best bit of buisness must be McCarthy and Kanu. Cost little but very effective.

For those clubs.

It is a question of aptness. Both Blackburn and Pompey are on limited budgets and they did very well with stopgap solutions.

Don't think that either would've been the right fit for us, even at the cut rate price. 

Chelsea would've done well to sign either, though they would've cost them three times as much. 

Guest maznislav

I think Anelka and Martins are the greatest signings this season. Also, I think Kanu and Sibierksi are showing more than someone have ever expected from them, especially the second one. The others are just average. I think the next season some of them will show their potential, like Berbatov and maybe Shevchenko.

Kanu was a huge gamble that has turned out into a miracle but I don't think McCarthy was anywhere near that gamble. Its not as if he has gone forever without scoring (Kanu scoring his first goal for a year for WBA not that long ago).

I rate Anelka and all, but.... no.

Martins is a great player--- who makes the team better, will get better himself, and will go up in value.

I think that people overstate the negative affects that Le Sulk has on a team (citing stuff he did when he was 17 and all) but, that said, Martins has no such baggage or risk.

....not fit to tie Anelka's boots tbh..

We'll see. I like him though, doing well and really getting stuck in now.

Bit OTT, I like Anelka and think he does a lot for Bolton but I would rather have Martins.

For those clubs.

It is a question of aptness. Both Blackburn and Pompey are on limited budgets and they did very well with stopgap solutions.

Don't think that either would've been the right fit for us, even at the cut rate price. 

Chelsea would've done well to sign either, though they would've cost them three times as much. 

I would rather pay extra money for McCarthy over Sibierski, who himself a bigger gamble than Kanu.