Newcastle United 1 - 0 Zulte-Waragem - Post match thoughts

Dave

Guest smoggeordie

I actually thought the lads from the Ultras made a fair whack of noise where I was.

The reason we couldn't carve them open at will was because they had every fucker behind the ball at all opportunities.

We won.

Clean Sheet.

Never had to get out of first gear really so a lot of energy saved for Wigan.

Don't see what all the fuss is about, the tie was over last week.

I actually thought the lads from the Ultras made a fair whack of noise where I was.

The reason we couldn't carve them open at will was because they had every fucker behind the ball at all opportunities.

We won.

Clean Sheet.

Never had to get out of first gear really so a lot of energy saved for Wigan.

Don't see what all the fuss is about, the tie was over last week.

True although it would be nice to see some entertainment for once. But then i guess a win is a win.

Aye, NSG's right - they packed the defense and it would be right to save our strength for Wigan.

But we simply showed very little desire to penetrate them. The amount of sideways and backwards passes nullified the game into sheer dullness. And the thing is, little sideways passes like that in your own half only invites pressure, and we've been caught out a few times over the two legs.

It's just God awful to watch. Especially against opponents like this where you know you could just hammer them if you really wanted to.

Aye, NSG's right - they packed the defense and it would be right to save our strength for Wigan.

But we simply showed very little desire to penetrate them. The amount of sideways and backwards passes nullified the game into sheer dullness. And the thing is, little sideways passes like that in your own half only invites pressure, and we've been caught out a few times over the two legs.

It's just God awful to watch. Especially against opponents like this where you know you could just hammer them if you really wanted to.

100% agree

Newcastle United boss Glenn Roeder admitted his side were "patchy" in the 1-0 UEFA Cup victory over Zulte Waregem which sealed a last 16 tie with the Dutchmen of AZ Alkmaar.

After a 4-1 aggregate triumph against the Belgians, Roeder said: "I thought we were too slow in our build-up and it was far too easy to defend against. And it was patchy, There were parts I wasn't so happy with.

"I was disappointed that we didn't handle their formation and tactics better. It was quite obvious from where I was standing that all the room was in the wide areas on the flanks, where we outnumbered them two to one, and we tried to force it through the middle."

But the United manager added: "The aim was to qualify for the last 16 so it's job done in that respect. They came and did a good job defensively and made it difficult for us.

"But I think it's all about us raising our game, our bar, and about expecting the standards to be higher.

"It's only a week or two ago that we beat Liverpool here, and in the second half against Liverpool we more than matched them and more than deserved the victory.

"We can maintain that level against AZ Alkmaar, and we have to and will do that.

"Sometimes it's difficult playing teams you are much better than, but that's a weak excuse. You have to find a way of playing to the highest standard possible."

From .cock

Loves the way he uses and excuse the goes "oo wait,thats an excuse"  :cheesy:

First-half diagnosis?

Boring.

Second-half diagnosis?

Far more entertaining. More action, good performances, a lot more excitement.

Full-time diagnosis?

Total unwatchable w*** for the first 45, much better second half as I buggered off to the cinema.

Star man for United?

Bramble I guess.

Worst United player?

Most of them.

Opposition comment?

Came to try and snatch something on the break. Quite well organised and broke fluidly, despite an inferiority in technical ability.

Toon-pros?

Clean sheet.

Toon-cons?

WE WERE s*** AND BORING. Crap movement, no ideas, no plan B, no urgency.

Post-match feelings?

Delighted I didn't stay in to watch the second half. Martins' goal was class.

How was Taylor poor?

got caught out a couple of times trying to play offside which against a better team he would've been punished for. All IMO of course.

I agree, For me when the opposition are attacking Taylor does drop 5 yards behind the rest of the defence an awful lot.

By the way... what in God's name possesses Roeder to put Pattison in the squad? He appears to have absolutely no ability whatseoever.

Was as good as Nicky Butt tonight. Just sat back and protected the defence and kept it simple.

Is the right answer.

By the way... what in God's name possesses Roeder to put Pattison in the squad? He appears to have absolutely no ability whatseoever.

Was as good as Nicky Butt tonight. Just sat back and protected the defence and kept it simple.

Is the right answer.

pattinson had his best game for us tonight,stopped them more than he stopped us,passed to team mates,but to say he was as good as butt is exaggerating,butt played the game as it was, a dead euro tie,pinged about some quality 30yd balls and stopped the oppo and was always in control

Can anyone post the words to the glasgow uefa cup song please? been hearing it alot but can never make out the bit that comes after the first 'were gonna lift the cup in glasgow,' bit.

sorry to go off topic but I didnt want to start a new thread...

Can anyone post the words to the glasgow uefa cup song please? been hearing it alot but can never make out the bit that comes after the first 'were gonna lift the cup in glasgow,' bit.

"Tell all the boys you know, Newcastle are going to Glasgow! We've been to Germany, we've been to Italy and we'll lift the cup in Glasgow! Tell all the boys..."

Wasn't a classic my any means, but a job done.

Glad we didn't put in a massive performance, keeps us focused for next game and certainly stops us getting cocky or complacent.

Hoping we get the job done again against Wigan, i'll take that performance and the result quite happily.

"Tell all the boys you know, Newcastle are going to Glasgow! We've been to Germany, we've been to Italy and we'll lift the cup in Glasgow! Tell all the boys..."

cheers mate. im at uni in glasgow so I can see that one being sung quite a bit. I finish in june so a final at hampden would be a sweet ending to my time up here. Cant see me getting the deposit back on my flat if we do get there though, cos ill be throwing my doors open.

Guest Ridzuan

Back to the topic,I was expecting more goals from us but it didnt happen.Waragem made it tough for us.Anyway,the main thing was to make sure we qualify for the next round and that was what we did.Looking forward to the next match in our european adventure.

Hoping we get the job done again against Wigan, i'll take that performance and the result quite happily.

Dunno, the performance was pretty wank tbh.

Huntington looked decent at LB. Bramble was good, barring his positioning, leading to him making the saving tackles. Everyone was pretty much average. I suppose it's to be expected with a 3-1 away cushion, but still bit of effort wouldn't hurt.

Luque was Marvelous, 10 year contract worth 100 million should be enough, world class forward.

i wish Roeder had the balls to put a more attacking formation in games like this.. someone should tell him that we don't have the players for a 4-4-2

He was playing 4-5-1 ffs for half the match.

Duff right, Milner inside right and Luque left. Stupid Glenn :S.

i wish Roeder had the balls to put a more attacking formation in games like this.. someone should tell him that we don't have the players for a 4-4-2

He was playing 4-5-1 ffs for half the match.

Duff right, Milner inside right and Luque left. Stupid Glenn :S.

Bollocks was he. He moved Dyer up front because the Luque / Martins thing wasn't working. He shifted Luque to the left, Duff to the right, and Milner into the space vacated by Dyer.

Dyer was playing very deep then. VERY.

Dyer was often way too deep, Butt should be the one collecting the ball from defence then moving it forward to Dyer in an advance position but often Dyer was behind Butt! They almost ran into each other going for the same ball at one point! I like players who always want the ball and try and get involved but if Dyer is going to play CM he needs to learn the position a bit better!