Owen

Guest geordie gent

In regards to Owen Fifa have confirmed they have made a "final offer" of £1m compensation. Havent got a link as its on teletext, page 403 I think. Just seen the thread  :D

On the BBC website now...1 million is FIFA's final offer.  If this had happened to Liverpool they would have paid his entire transfer fee, his wages for the next 5 years and given them a special dispensation for a place in the Champions League. 

:lol:

I reckon he will be as dangerous as he always was. Will never score 20+ league goals as he will always have niggling injuries but is someone who will get us lots of goals.

I really hope so, The pessimist in me says he'll be off, but the rest of me (there's not a lot left by this point, mind) thinks he could be great for us, if he stays fit for a few seasons.

According to the Times, Owen is able to leave at the end of this season for half of his original transfer fee. Believe it or not as you choose, but it could explain something of Freddie's desperation.

The rules about compensation and the release of players were there before the World Cup, and applied to everyone. If Freddie and other Chairmen think that they're not fair, then they should try to change them. But trying to do it retrospectively through lawyers feels all wrong to me.

According to the Times, Owen is able to leave at the end of this season for half of his original transfer fee. Believe it or not as you choose, but it could explain something of Freddie's desperation.

Surely we would have to have been mental to put a clause like that in, doesn't make sense on any level does it? I think Freddy would be publically lynched if this happened, not that he's not already due one.

I don't think even Freddy is that stupid tbh. He wouldn't put so much fanfare and extra money into the signing and then just let him slip away for half of the money.

I don't think even Freddy is that stupid tbh. He wouldn't put so much fanfare and extra money into the signing and then just let him slip away for half of the money.

Of course he is, and of course he would.

You want short-termism? Ladies and gentlemen, i give you NUFC.

According to the Times

thats where that lost any credibility

You say that (not sure why tbh), but Owen writes a column for them.

I might be miles off here but I really don't think he's the kind of bloke to walk out after only making 11 appearances for the club.

He just couldn't do that to us, surely?

Nobody with an ounce of morality would let their employer pay them whilst off sick (on full pay for a year), have the best medical treatment in the world, give them use of a private box, no doubt transport to all his sponsored 'events', employ a personal fitness coach for them to leave a few months after being declared fit.

No matter how much you hated your job, company, boss, work mates or anything would you do that. You would be (rightly) considered a complete arse by all and sundry in whatever industry you worked.

I have to say, if he did that, I'd be really really surprised.

Guest Brazilianbob

What a load of bullsh*t.  I get so exasperated when I see reports like this.  What the Times has got hold of and twisted, is the value of the player after two years of player amortization.

This is where the value of the player reduces each year, so the profit and loss figures don't look too bad.  If we continued valuing him at £17m, or more, until he retired, the club would show a huge loss of £17m that year.  So in Owens case, after amortizatiion his value after two years is £8.5m, but if someone tries to buy him, they will have to pay the going rate for a top class striker, which according to Chelsea is anywhere between £24m (Drogba) and £30m (Shevchenko).

This reaction always surprises me. He said he didn't want to come on a permanent basis, and we had to pay over the odds in the transfer fee and wages in order to get him. Why is it so difficult to believe that we also had to agree to a very generous buy-out clause in his contract? It's not as though buy-out clauses are rare in any event.

But I agree with Riches. I think he'll stay for another season.

isn't there some clause where a player can buy out the remaining years of his contract after a certain period? it might be after 3 years of a contract or in the last 2 years of a contract. if it is the latter Owen might be able to leave if he pays up the remaining wages, wouldn't be suprised if that came to something like £8m.

Guest justin99.

Is it right that, for as long Owen is injured (from england internationals) the FA will continue to pay half his wages?

If that is correct we should not play him untill the week before next season. It's not like we need him now to avoid relegation or anything.

I know that will never happen.

I'll bet that his first game back will either be the last game of the season, or for england.

Also, surely Owen will know that if he leaves Newcastle without justification, he won't be a very popular figure.

Is it right that, for as long Owen is injured (from england internationals) the FA will continue to pay half his wages?

If that is correct we should not play him untill the week before next season. It's not like we need him now to avoid relegation or anything.

I know that will never happen.

I'll bet that his first game back will either be the last game of the season, or for england.

Also, surely Owen will know that if he leaves Newcastle without justification, he won't be a very popular figure.

Didn't bother him when he strung Liverpool along.