SSN on Emre

Northern Monkey

There's actually often a debate even within hip hop on whether the 'N word' can ever be 'reclaimed' and the meaning changed (Ashley Walters did a documentary on it a while ago).

Personally I would say its meaning is too entrenched ever to be changed, and black people should not use it and let it die out. That's just a personal view though.

Guest Gemmill

Its alright for black people to say nigger.... most hip hop songs use the word every 10secs  :o

Its not so much the word thats the problem but the manner in which its used, If Emre said what has been reported then he's bang out of order and deserves to be punished.

why is he out of order?

It wouldn't have been out of order if he had rapped what he said to the forehead.

Are you brain dead and being kept alive by a respirator?

omg

No.  I just don't like it when everyone jumps on the 'white racist' bandwagon.  Innocent until proven guilty.  Anyhow, even if he is proven guilty, I will have no problem whatsoever with Emre.

Only doing what you would have done yourself given half the chance, eh?

Guest Morph

Its alright for black people to say nigger.... most hip hop songs use the word every 10secs  :o

Its not so much the word thats the problem but the manner in which its used, If Emre said what has been reported then he's bang out of order and deserves to be punished.

why is he out of order?

It wouldn't have been out of order if he had rapped what he said to the forehead.

Are you brain dead and being kept alive by a respirator?

omg

No.  I just don't like it when everyone jumps on the 'white racist' bandwagon.  Innocent until proven guilty.  Anyhow, even if he is proven guilty, I will have no problem whatsoever with Emre.

Exactly.

Guest Morph

Exactly.

:( Embarrassing...

Thats a matter of opinion.

Exactly.

Fair enough, I respect the right to freedom of speech, I just hope you receive a suitable backlash when you spout this kind of drivel.

Guest Sniffer

So Gemmill....you call people retards. What's the difference? Both terms are offensive to different people but you seem to decide yourself, arbitrarily, what's offensive and what isn't. Smacks of hypocrisy to me.

Guest Morph

Exactly.

Fair enough, I respect the right to freedom of speech, I just hope you receive a suitable backlash when you spout this kind of drivel.

How man, it's not as if I walk the streets wearing t-shirts saying 'I hate niggers' or owt like that.  I'm not racist, I just hate it how we are all perceived as racists, and that there little room to justify yourself because people are so scared to talk about it.

Exactly.

How man, it's not as if I walk the streets wearing t-shirts saying 'I hate niggers' or owt like that.  I'm not racist, I just hate it how we are all perceived as racists, and that there little room to justify yourself because people are so scared to talk about it.

Maybe I overreacted - I also hate the fact that people are scared to talk about these issues, but I can sometimes understand why, it is (as we've seen) a sensitive subject!

Guest optimistic nit

This racism is all a very grey area to me.

Emre is essentially using words that are considered harmless in his own country. I personally cant see any real malice in what he said.

very much in agreement with you

come now you know what we'd be saying if he wasn't a toon player. Personally i agree that he doesn't realise he's causing the offence that he is, but i still think he needs to be punished.

Guest optimistic nit

So Gemmill....you call people retards. What's the difference? Both terms are offensive to different people but you seem to decide yourself, arbitrarily, what's offensive and what isn't. Smacks of hypocrisy to me.

the difference is the context in which both terms are  being used. Saying the word nigger isn't always considered offensive although imo a term with the history nigger has shouldn't be used as lightly as some rappers do, but anyways if gemmill was to go up to get into a disagreement with a guy in a wheelchair and call him a fucking reatard then that would be out of order, but in this context it isn't.

http://www.law.du.edu/jenkins/images/kkk.gif

The next N-O meet up gets out of hand.

:lol:

Is that Mick and NE5 in the middle shaking hands?

Not a chance, they wouldn't let him out long enough to attend.

Guest optimistic nit

As I asked on the last thread about this subject, can anyone think of a way in which Emre, in the middle of a game, could have referred to Yobo's (or Bungara's) skin colour in a way that WASN'T offensive and intended to be so?

no.

As I asked on the last thread about this subject, can anyone think of a way in which Emre, in the middle of a game, could have referred to Yobo's (or Bungara's) skin colour in a way that WASN'T offensive and intended to be so?

"Sorry for running into you there mate, I couldn't see you against that black advertising board behind you. *laughs* Always have that trouble with you fucking niggers. Sorry again."

"Sorry for running into you there mate, I couldn't see you against that black advertising board behind you. *laughs* Always have that trouble with you fucking niggers. Sorry again."