SSN on Emre

Northern Monkey

FA probe a third claim over Emre

Mar 2 2007

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

The Football Association have confirmed they will be investigating a third racism accusation against Newcastle United midfielder Emre following a statement from Watford's Al Bangura, writes Luke Edwards.

But the FA have also revealed they will not be following up claims that Emre verbally abused Bolton striker El-Hadji Diouf as the Senegal inter- national does not want to pursue the matter.

Emre will have a personal hearing to deny charges that he racially abused an Everton player during the 3-0 defeat at Goodison Park in December on March 19, but there is a chance he will face a further charge if the FA decide Bangura's accusation is worthy of action.

An FA spokesman said: "Following the allegations which appeared in the media of alleged racist incidents involving Emre, the FA wrote to El-Hadji Diouf and Al Bangura to ask them if they were able to provide statements.

"El-Hadji Diouf has responded and confirmed he does not want to pursue the matter. Al Bangura has responded with a statement and further investigations will now be made."

Emre has not played for Newcastle since he was charged with using racially-aggravated words and/or behaviour in January, although manager Glenn Roeder has insisted his absence has been caused by a calf injury.

Roeder suggested this week that the Turkish international, a £3.6m signing from Inter Milan in 2005, will be back in contention for a place in the side by the time AZ Alkmaar arrive at St James's Park for the first leg of their Uefa Cup tie next week.

United, who will continue to defend their player, are unhappy with the way the case has been handled and have urged the FA to give Emre a fair chance to clear his name. The club are concerned that some reports have made accusations about Emre's behaviour and are prejudicing his chance of a fair hearing. A statement yesterday said: "In recent weeks, Newcastle United has become increasingly concerned about articles appearing in various national newspapers concerning Emre.

"Those articles have made various inaccurate and unfair comments on the case and have ignored the basic principle that any person is presumed to be innocent until proven guilty. The conduct of certain sections of the Press in ignoring that basic principle of fairness is deeply regrettable.

"It is the club's opinion that the content in these articles is highly prejudicial and seriously reduces the chances of the player receiving a fair hearing when he finally makes a personal response to the charge brought against him by the Football Association.

"Both the club and player have genuine worries that a trial through the media is effectively being conducted long before the actual hearing will take place.

"We are making stringent inquiries into how such stories have come to appear in print and the club would be highly concerned if information is being leaked by any individual or association involved with this ongoing matter.

"The club also wishes to reiterate that it has not been made aware of any further charges being brought or about to be brought against Emre by the Football Association.

"Newcastle United is proud to be a club with a long-standing tradition of working closely with anti-racism organisations and will continue to be a strong champion of such an important cause."

He isn't in his country now. He's in thsi one, and using his own nations famous racist streak to jsutify doing it OUR shirt is a laugh.

Would it be ok for an Iraqi man to come here and start waving an AK47 around, like they can back home?

Interesting point. I know of a story where a couple were sentenced to several years in jail for kissing each other in a sacred square in the Middle East. Is it normal to kiss somebody in public, or is it normal to sentence somebody to several years imprisonment for it? Is normal different depending on location? I agree with you that he should have known better, but you can't expect a visitor to the UK to know of all the cultural delicacies straight away. If you think otherwise, it would be interesting to see you abroad, interfacing with the locals when you are on a holiday. How often will you unknowingly have "insulted" somebody because of a lack of knowledge of their culture?

He isn't in his country now. He's in thsi one, and using his own nations famous racist streak to jsutify doing it OUR shirt is a laugh.

Would it be ok for an Iraqi man to come here and start waving an AK47 around, like they can back home?

Interesting point. I know of a story where a couple were sentenced to several years in jail for kissing each other in a sacred square in the Middle East. Is it normal to kiss somebody in public, or is it normal to sentence somebody to several years imprisonment for it? Is normal different depending on location? I agree with you that he should have known better, but you can't expect a visitor to the UK to know of all the cultural delicacies straight away. If you think otherwise, it would be interesting to see you abroad, interfacing with the locals when you are on a holiday. How often will you unknowingly have "insulted" somebody because of a lack of knowledge of their culture?

He's been here for 18 months though.

Personally, I don't think that calling someone a nigger is that bad, especially when it's done by someone who isn't a racist. However, there's been enough fuss about it, that if he's found guilty, he can't stay, which is a real shame.

Guest Gemmill

Personally, I don't think that calling someone a nigger is that bad, especially when it's done by someone who isn't a racist.

As a rule, people that aren't racist tend to shy away from calling people n*ggers.  It's all part of what they call not being racist. :razz:

Glenn Roeder is trying not to become personally involved in the situations affecting Newcastle United duo Emre Belozoglu and Michael Owen.

Emre is facing an FA investigation into allegations of racism towards Watford's Al Bangura, having already been charged in a separate incident relating to Newcastle's game at Everton in December.

The Magpies have issued a statement to request the Turkish midfielder is given the chance of a fair hearing and Roeder feels it would be unwise to say any more.

"It's a situation that's going to come to a head with the commission, which I think has been set for the 19th (March)," said Roeder on Sky Sports News.

"It's obviously in the hands of our legals. The club made a statement yesterday and there is nothing I can add to that statement.

"We'll just have to wait and see. For me personally the line is there is nothing else to say."

Newcastle are also haggling with Fifa regarding compensation for Owen after the England striker injured his knee at the World Cup.

Fifa has made a final offer of £1million, but The Magpies are thought to be demanding £6.2million, with Roeder again leaving the matter in the hands of the club.

He added: "The other matter the club is dealing with and I don't have anything actually to do with that.

"I'm sure the chairman is very adept at dealing with that situation and is doing his very best for the club.

"My main concern is getting Michael back out there and playing."

Guest Gemmill

"I'm sure the chairman is very adept at dealing with that situation and is doing his very best for the club."

I wouldn't be so sure Glenn.

Shepherd's doing his legal research on the matter by watching Blazing Saddles.  He's advising Emre to refer to black people as "fucking sheriffs" from this point forth.

Personally, I don't think that calling someone a nigger is that bad, especially when it's done by someone who isn't a racist.

As a rule, people that aren't racist tend to shy away from calling people n*ggers.  It's all part of what they call not being racist. :razz:

In YOUR opinion.

Its been said earlier but you can say something that is racist without actually being a racist person.

Its all about interpretation, and if Yobo etc were insulted by the phrase then he's bang to rights regardless of his intention in using the phrase.

btw this is what I believe has happened, I don't believe Emre is racist, just made a stupid comment which the recipient has taken as racist. Bit like Sheringhams ex-bird in CBB

Guest Sniffer

Why is it viewed as cool for niggers to call themselves niggers in films, stand up comedy? It just perpetuates it's use but is acceptable.

Also why do people call it the n-word on the telly when everybody then thinks it as nigger to themselves? Always seemed funny to me.

Guest Morph

So why is it bad for white people to use the word?  Some black people absolutely detest white people, yet nobody does anything about that, whereas when it's the other way around, the bandwagon starts rolling.

Its alright for black people to say nigger.... most hip hop songs use the word every 10secs  :o

Its not so much the word thats the problem but the manner in which its used, If Emre said what has been reported then he's bang out of order and deserves to be punished.

Guest Morph

Its alright for black people to say nigger.... most hip hop songs use the word every 10secs  :o

Its not so much the word thats the problem but the manner in which its used, If Emre said what has been reported then he's bang out of order and deserves to be punished.

why is he out of order?

It wouldn't have been out of order if he had rapped what he said to the forehead.

why is he out of order?

It wouldn't have been out of order if he had rapped what he said to the forehead.

Why is he out of order? Are you serious?

Guest Morph

why is he out of order?

Im super cereal mate.  I don't see what he has said is bad.  Black folk speak like that to each other all the time.

why is he out of order?

Im super cereal mate.  I don't see what he has said is bad.  Black folk speak like that to each other all the time.

Jesus wept.

Guest Gemmill

why is he out of order?

Are you brain dead and being kept alive by a respirator?

why is he out of order?

omg

Guest Gemmill

why is he out of order?

omg

You kiss men

Guest Morph

why is he out of order?

omg

No.  I just don't like it when everyone jumps on the 'white racist' bandwagon.  Innocent until proven guilty.  Anyhow, even if he is proven guilty, I will have no problem whatsoever with Emre.