Anton Ferdinand to be sold?

NUFC06

Ferdinand looked awful when he first broke into the West Ham team as a right-back. i genuinely couldn't understand how he was getting a game, even at Championship level. i don't think he'd be any good at RB really, he gets turned quite easily by tricky players so looks better in the middle, holding a line and having two players at either side covering for him.

Since West Ham have been promoted though he has looked like a different player at CB, beefed up a great deal, can put himself about, and his technique (first touch, passing) has improved massively. when he plays at Under-21 level he looks better, calmer and more assured than Taylor, imo, even though Taylor is the more "eye-catching" because of his glory tackles and frequent forays upfield.

Some of his performances this season have been nightmarish though his excuse would be that the hammers are in total disarray as there's no real leadership at the club. it looks like the pressure has got to him and as all over the place, making mistakes and losing any positional sense. but he'd also be under huge pressure here as the Newcastle centre-half is one of the most scrutinised job positions in the country. I think he could develop into a very good player, but it won't be at Newcastle. We need someone experienced, not another Taylor or Bramble.

Fair point Johnny. That goes for most positions at Newcastle too, the pressure is different to most clubs. Keegan always said that a player has to be a certain type of character to sign for Newcastle. He was spot on, and for me, when I look at players that come to  Newcastle, or the club are linked with,  I always put this high on the list of attributes that they should have in order to succeed.

I'm not sure if Anton is clinging onto the shirt tails of his brother to be honest, he might be canny, I'm just not sure about him. I am happy with Taylor though, and don't really consider a partner for him to be a priority. It depends on how much money the club have, I would prefer to spend money on a striker.  I see potential in Edgar, and so long as you have one good player at centre back ie Taylor, and a leader in defence, and good communication, you can have a good back line.

Guest Knightrider

Ferdinand looked awful when he first broke into the West Ham team as a right-back. i genuinely couldn't understand how he was getting a game, even at Championship level. i don't think he'd be any good at RB really, he gets turned quite easily by tricky players so looks better in the middle, holding a line and having two players at either side covering for him.

Since West Ham have been promoted though he has looked like a different player at CB, beefed up a great deal, can put himself about, and his technique (first touch, passing) has improved massively. when he plays at Under-21 level he looks better, calmer and more assured than Taylor, imo, even though Taylor is the more "eye-catching" because of his glory tackles and frequent forays upfield.

Some of his performances this season have been nightmarish though his excuse would be that the hammers are in total disarray as there's no real leadership at the club. it looks like the pressure has got to him and as all over the place, making mistakes and losing any positional sense. but he'd also be under huge pressure here as the Newcastle centre-half is one of the most scrutinised job positions in the country. I think he could develop into a very good player, but it won't be at Newcastle. We need someone experienced, not another Taylor or Bramble.

I can't comment on his West Ham form as RB as I've hardly seen him play in that position but for the under-21s he's looked good. I actually think he started out as RB and not a CB didn't he? Could be wrong like but it could fit with Roeder's (apparent) interest in him as surely he isn't looking to buy a young potential for CB, when we already have Taylor and others. That and his versatility.

Guest Knightrider

Fair point Johnny. That goes for most positions at Newcastle too, the pressure is different to most clubs. Keegan always said that a player has to be a certain type of character to sign for Newcastle. He was spot on, and for me, when I look at players that come to  Newcastle, or the club are linked with,  I always put this high on the list of attributes that they should have in order to succeed.

I'm not sure if Anton is clinging onto the shirt tails of his brother to be honest, he might be canny, I'm just not sure about him. I am happy with Taylor though, and don't really consider a partner for him to be a priority. It depends on how much money the club have, I would prefer to spend money on a striker.  I see potential in Edgar, and so long as you have one good player at centre back ie Taylor, and a leader in defence, and good communication, you can have a good back line.

Agreed regarding certain characters, a few former players have said if the crowd get on your back or the city as some called it, there is no worse place to play football, but if they support you, there is no better place. I think KK was relating to that, he always went for players who could express themselve and live with the demands of playing for the crowd which he felt and was right in many ways, was an extra man to the team or a condidence equaliser, it certainly was under his charge. I guess the same can be said of managers too. Look at Souness, I know his record didn't endear him to fans or his appointment but we are a fair bunch, but neither did his patter or mannerisms, that just made things even harder for him.

Only because some of our fans have made us look fucking stupid by pretending that the likes of Bramble and Moore are good enough. Makes us look like proper cretins.

Would make a quality squad member I feel.

Yup, which ain't what we're after that. We got that when we got Gooch, who we'll no doubt sign on a permanent, presuming his performances continue at an average-to-decent level.

We want a partner for Taylor. Bramble out, someone in. Ben Haim on a free is my preferred player anyway, although doubtful. Why go spending £5m on Anton Ferdinand or £7m on Curtis Davies, when we can have someone a lot more experienced and a lot more proven for nowt? Same goes for Distin aswell.

Taylor --- Ben Haim

Onyewu --- Ramage

Would do me for next season tbh. Huntington and Edgar there aswell don't forget. Each of whom are far more worth keeping than Bramble, imo.

Bramble is million times better than Ramage...

Yup, which ain't what we're after that. We got that when we got Gooch, who we'll no doubt sign on a permanent, presuming his performances continue at an average-to-decent level.

We want a partner for Taylor. Bramble out, someone in. Ben Haim on a free is my preferred player anyway, although doubtful. Why go spending £5m on Anton Ferdinand or £7m on Curtis Davies, when we can have someone a lot more experienced and a lot more proven for nowt? Same goes for Distin aswell.

Taylor --- Ben Haim

Onyewu --- Ramage

Would do me for next season tbh. Huntington and Edgar there aswell don't forget. Each of whom are far more worth keeping than Bramble, imo.

At being a fat liability, yes.

He's just as good as Ramage at meing a general liabilty.

Ramage is better at looking like, but it being, a Scottish liability.

They both havr their strengths, see? But they are both Championship.

Only because some of our fans have made us look fucking stupid by pretending that the likes of Bramble and Moore are good enough. Makes us look like proper cretins.

it is also due to our reputation for bad defending and comical mistakes. a year or two ago the likes of Zat Knight and Liam Ridgewell were making loads of mistakes and basic defending errors but were never lampooned for it, while if Taylor, Babayaro or Bramble makes a mistake, the national press and media are all over it. then there's also the pressure of living in a small city where the club is more like a national team to its citizens. perhaps not coincidentally Ridgewell and Knight both seem to have gotten over their error-prone phase.

it is also due to our reputation for bad defending and comical mistakes. a year or two ago the likes of Zat Knight and Liam Ridgewell were making loads of mistakes and basic defending errors but were never lampooned for it, while if Taylor, Babayaro or Bramble makes a mistake, the national press and media are all over it. then there's also the pressure of living in a small city where the club is more like a national team to its citizens. perhaps not coincidentally Ridgewell and Knight both seem to have gotten over their error-prone phase.

As has Taylor. But he's not shite, like our other two.

Lets face it. Playing dross like Shambles, Carr, Babayaro and Moore is only going to draw attention to our inherent stupidity.

Guest NUFC4

seems mr. ferdinand was pretty upset about not being in the plans for west ham, so he went out and assulted a few people at the local pub  :knuppel2:

Taylor --- Ben Haim

Onyewu --- Ramage

Ramage's mistakes are far worse than Bramble's...Brambles has actually played great in some occasions...Ramage is NOT a defender, hell no he isn't even a footballer to begin with...

Taylor --- Ben Haim

Onyewu --- Ramage

Ramage's mistakes are far worse than Bramble's...Brambles has actually played great in some occasions...Ramage is NOT a defender, hell no he isn't even a footballer to begin with...

Brambel has almost entirely played well against utter shite (ref our recent UEFA outings) and CRAP against real teams.

And if you don't think Ramage has one at least that, then you haven't been watching.

NEITHER of them are good enough. I really don't understand why newcastle fans insist on doing the "i hate X so Y must be good enough". Its a load of shite. They are both poor, and neither should be played if we can help it.

Taylor --- Ben Haim

Onyewu --- Ramage

Brambel has almost entirely played well against utter s**** (ref our recent UEFA outings) and CRAP against real teams.

And if you don't think Ramage has one at least that, then you haven't been watching.

NEITHER of them are good enough. I really don't understand why newcastle fans insist on doing the "i hate X so Y must be good enough". Its a load of s****. They are both poor, and neither should be played if we can help it.

I remember probably only one game that Ramage played better than my expectations but that won't be hard as my expectations of him are very low if not existant...I honestly think Bramble has improved in the last 2 years and is doing better and he is good enough as a backup if we happen to sign better defenders...

Taylor --- Ben Haim

Onyewu --- Ramage

Brambel has almost entirely played well against utter s**** (ref our recent UEFA outings) and CRAP against real teams.

NEITHER of them are good enough. I really don't understand why newcastle fans insist on doing the "i hate X so Y must be good enough". Its a load of s****. They are both poor, and neither should be played if we can help it.

I remember probably only one game that Ramage played better than my expectations but that won't be hard as my expectations of him are very low if not existant...I honestly think Bramble has improved in the last 2 years and is doing better and he is good enough as a backup if we happen to sign better defenders...

Improved in the past 2 years? i really wish he had. If we ever have to play him, for any reason, at any point, it'd be a shame, because he simply is NOT a premiership defender. But hey, we have polenty of not-good-enough players, so why not.

Taylor --- Ben Haim

Onyewu --- Ramage

real teams...like juve and inter?

there are many on this board who waste no time in having a go at bramble,but even they would step back from placing ramage in front of him...the old norhtern monkey "hate glasses" again.

Taylor --- Ben Haim

Onyewu --- Ramage

there are many on this board who waste no time in having a go at bramble,but even they would step back from placing ramage in front of him...the old norhtern monkey "hate glasses" again.

Wondered how long you'd take.

Bramble has never played WELL against the teams you mentioned, but well done for remembering teams we've played against.

You think Bramble is good enough for:

a) NUFC or

b) The Premiership?

Well, if you do, you are wrong, but no doubt you have a really good excuse for why he has been an absolute fucking disgrace for years.

As for Ramage, he's no better overall, but has fewer problems against bigger clubs (and there are many of them). But NEITHER should be playing for us. My main conclusion is that i'd rather play Ramage in the Prem, as Bramble has let himself down more on a pro-rata basis than our wrong-faced Peter boy. But given a real choice, i'd play neither. They're boith fucking well below us, even the pathetic Roeder mid-table us.

Taylor --- Ben Haim

Onyewu --- Ramage

Wondered how long you'd take.

Bramble has never played WELL against the teams you mentioned, but well done for remembering teams we've played against.

You think Bramble is good enough for:

a) NUFC or

b) The Premiership?

Well, if you do, you are wrong, but no doubt you have a really good excuse for why he has been an absolute f****** disgrace for years.

As for Ramage, he's no better overall, but has fewer problems against bigger clubs (and there are many of them). But NEITHER should be playing for us. My main conclusion is that i'd rather play Ramage in the Prem, as Bramble has let himself down more on a pro-rata basis than our wrong-faced Peter boy. But given a real choice, i'd play neither. They're boith f****** well below us, even the pathetic Roeder mid-table us.

Man Utd-last season,back pass to Rooney who lead to a goal

Liverpool-last season-At fault for the 1st two goals

Chelsea-last season,FA cup-at fault for John Terry's goal

This season-

Bolton-own goal

Ramage is utter shit,his last performances for the club were absolutely shocking and people are still not over him like they are on Titus because he is local and came through our academy

Titus is liability too,im not denying that but i think he is better than Ramage and its better for the club to get rid of Ramage rather than Titus imo

I said it before.When they are playing poor they are both shit

When they are playing well Ramage is  still worse than Titus

You can tell if someone is good in the real games against the big teams

Like madras said Titus has played against the big team under sir Bobby and he played well as far as i remember

He has shown that he can play well and has abbility which he can still develop

Im not saying that Titus has to be 1st choice,only backup of course but i prefer Titus rather than Peter Damage

I'm with SLK on this one. Bramble isn't great, he makes mistakes as we all know, but to say Ramage is better than him is a joke imo. I see more potential in Huntingdon and Edgar. Ramage should definitely be moved on in the summer and shouldn't get anywhere near our first team in the meantime. He's out of his depth in  the PL.

For me, Taylor is actually making errors the same as Bramble is, but of course he's younger and has potential BUT he has to realise that potential and he has to cut out those errors, if he doesn't then in the end Taylor will be no better than Bramble. I think we need a Venison type figure at the back to help both Taylor AND Bramble, plus Huntingdon and Edgar but Ramage is beyond any help. Anton bloody Ferdinand is clearly not that figure, there is no way the club should be spending money on crap like him.

Errr... why would you spend money on Anton when you could get Distin for free? :idiot2:

Distin, Sidwell, and Viduka are all players we should be lookin at in the summer, and they're all free. Distin, Taylor, and Onyewu would be a good selection of CB's, with Distin being able to cover LB if needed and Taylor RB.

No doubt we'll buy Ashton for £10m, Anton for £5m, and Barton/Reo-Coker for some stupid amount, with all getting paid around the 50k mark. :(

Guest pistonism

Distin or Ben Haim would be a better/cheaper option that Anton.

Well Ben Haim looks like he's heading to Chelsea,

Is Yobo available for us?

tbh I don't buy this whole Ben Haim to Chelsea thing, if they wanted him that badly im sure they could dig deep and scrimp and save the £3m he would have cost in January considering their lack of centre backs.