Premiership's most overrated player

Guest BooBoo

Because Henry is as deadly as Owen but with so much more to his game likes good crossing, freekicks, gets a very good amount of assists (as does Drogba).

But Drogba's isn't nowhere near as deadly as Henry in front of goal, does that mean Drogba isn't World class?

I have no problem with you rating Henry and Drogba above Owen for what they do for the team.

I still think Owen is clearly a world-class finisher.

Im sure I said Owen was a world class finisher, maybe I didnt.

He still isnt world class. If Owen is world class what is Drogba or Henry?

By that logic Drogba and Henry are not world class as Eto'o is better than them.

Owen is world class and he is a better finisher than Drogba.

I have no problem with you rating Henry and Drogba above Owen for what they do for the team.

I still think Owen is clearly a world-class finisher.

Im sure I said Owen was a world class finisher, maybe I didnt.

If that's all he is in the team for, what's the problem?

Players like Drogba, Henry and Eto'o are those who can basically carry a whole team at times right at the very top. Owen isnt one of those players.

Completely different players with different roles. That's like saying Shearer was shit because Given is better in net.

Players like Drogba, Henry and Eto'o are those who can basically carry a whole team at times right at the very top. Owen isnt one of those players.

Neither was RVN, Crespo or Shevchenko yet all are/were World class.

Guest king harry

What else do you want me to f****** say, jesus wept!

RVN is basically the same as Owen in terms of what they do for their clubs but I think RVN is better at it.

I want you to explain why one is the Premiership's most overrated player and one is in a different league, when we've agreed they do pretty much the same thing.

Both are world class finishers, that's what they do. They are s*** defenders, tacklers and probably crossers. Crap in net too.

If Owen is not world class (look at his record for club AND country), who is?

If both players were fit id take owen, why, because he is a big game player who scores against the big teams. When rvn was in the premiership he had an awesome record but look at his record against the top 5 clubs, he hardly scored.

Completely different players with different roles. That's like saying Shearer was shit because Given is better in net.

Not really.

Not really.

Owen has always been, and always will be about scoring goals. Not creating them. Just because he doesn't do those things doesn't mean he isn't world-class. You put him in your team to score goals, and wherever he's played he's done that on an amazingly consistent basis.

I can't believe anyone could think Owen isn't a world class player. His record speaks for itself.

Gary Lineker didn't carry a whole team. In fact, he didn't do anything outside the penalty area, yet he was without doubt world class.

Can't believe the amount of people putting Parker forward for this. Newcastle United's most overrated player maybe (not say I agree with that), but the most overrated player in the whole of the Premiership?

Sometimes I think our fans are far too quick to look for scapegoats.

What about the 2001 FA Cup final?

And everyone was dismissing Drogba before the start of this season and suddenly he is the dogs bollocks according to everyone! For me Owen is world class and won many a game for liverpool on his own

My feeling with Owen is that he's very good at getting on the end of chances in the box, not much good at anything else. I think the very best players have a range of skills so they can adapt to different situations, and adjust their contribution to what the team needs at any given time.

For instance, in the early matches in the World Cup, when we didn't have a Rooney to do all the creative work outside the box for him, he was pretty useless.

As for people who don't consider Owen to be 'world class', I could name you three in particular - Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger - none of whom were interested when he became available.

Guest kingdawson

Because Henry is as deadly as Owen but with so much more to his game likes good crossing, freekicks, gets a very good amount of assists (as does Drogba).

But Drogba's isn't nowhere near as deadly as Henry in front of goal, does that mean Drogba isn't World class?

If anything Drogba is the better finisher out of the two.

"World Class" debates all boil down to the fact that different people have different definitions of World Class.

For me, the only out-and-out Strikers I would have ahead of Owen would be Eto'o, Drogba, Henry, RVN, Ronaldo, Klose, and Villa. I think a lot of people would have a similar estimation of his skills.

For me, that's good enough to be "world class." For others, that might not be.

Yet their goalscoring stats say differently. Strange that.

The Premiership's most overrated player has to be Frank Lampard. I also think that Jermaine defoe and Shaun Wright-Phillips are vastly overrated. SWP's first touch at times is shocking.

Scott Parker IMO isn't overrated, most people just accept that he is an honest hardworking player that gives his all week in, week out. Nobody expects him to be a world beater but you know exactly what your going to get from him.

Our most overrated player has to be Albert Luque. All those that bang on about him being the second coming of Pele in his time in Spain are deluded. He was average in his own country, a typical winger, who blows hot and cold. And he left such a lasting impression in his native land that clubs were beating the door down to take him home during the previous two transfer windows.

Guest BillyRay Valentine

christiano ronaldo for me. having a good season no doubt, but is regularly being touted as 'the best player in the world' which is ridiculous. his all round game is far from complete and rarely poses the same sort of threat when up against a decent left back. has actually achieved very little in the game to date, yet the hype surrounding him is stratospheric - a cynic might suggest man yoo stoke the flames hoping to get his transfer fee sky high come the summer when barca and real come calling.

Guest kingdawson

Yet their goalscoring stats say differently. Strange that.

sorry mate but goalscoring stats dosent decide who the better finisher out of the 2 is.