Tevez

tmonkey

If we're looking to sign a forward for big money, which might be the case considering the rumoured Torres/Huntelaar interest, this guy needs to be our number one priority.

He started slowly for West Ham, showed flashes of brilliance in his earlier games for them but was quiet for long periods of a game, but since returning to the side recently, hes looked an absolute class act.

Today against Spurs in a s*** West Ham team surrounded by donkeys, he ran the show, and for me I can see him being the perfect partner for either of Martins or Owen as well as developing into one of the best forwards in this country. Both Martins and Owen can struggle in their general play at times, one can be inconsistent whilst the other invisible, whilst we badly need someone to pull the strings for us further up the pitch as weve never truly replaced Beardo, with Dyer simply not being a forward in any sense - Tevez is the answer to all these problems. Everything he does oozes ability and class, hes intelligent and creative on the ball, and his linkup play is bang on consistent and top draw. He can be the presence for us up front that the team works around, whilst Owen and/or Martins can concentrate on goals.

Its a shame that hes basically showing everyone how good he is because if this form continues hell be off to Chelsea or someone as big pretty quickly, whereas a few months ago he would have been considered a flop. If he was interested in coming to us several years ago when we made inquiries, maybe he'll still feel that way.

In terms of whether we need him or not, providing we bring in a left back and centreback, a top draw forward to cover for Owen's injury proneness, as well as cover for the possibility of one of Owen/Martins departing, would be ideal for us.

Weve also seen that we have major problems with regards to creativity. We rely heavily on technical players like Emre, Nobby and Dyer to provide that for us, and they are indeed key and good players for us, but none of them are truly creative on a consistent basis. Tevez creates chances out of nothing, and its something we dont have and could certainly do with.

I agree, I think he is a top top player and when their relegation is confirmed go for him. I would say at the moment he is possibly a player I would target now and move for him before others do.

Didn't Sir Bobby have his eye on him a few years back?

Out of our price range now unfortunately, I can see him being in the £15m - £20m price range.

If only we hadn't wasted money on Boumsong, Luque........not to mention underselling - and even selling him full stop - Bellamy, which meant we had to buy Owen and Martins, instead of just one of them. Its all relative.

Interesting that people say they don't want these quality "trophy" players. But I would rather spend big money on a player like this than 3 or 4 average ones anytime.

He might not cost that much though. We will see. It might depend on who else is interested.

Would the money go to West Ham, or to that Iranian fella?

It would go to MSI.

Tevez: I wanted to sign for Toon

Argentinian hotshot Carlos Tevez takes aim against Newcastle today revealing they went close to signing him over two years ago.

And West Ham's new star admits he was keen to join United under Sir Bobby Robson.

Tevez is in line to make his full Premiership debut against United a few weeks after current boss Glenn Roeder expressed an interest in him.

Roeder made an enquiry for the 22-year-old after seeing him at the World Cup, but Tevez has revealed Robson spotted him much earlier.

"I have known about Newcastle for a long time," Tevez told the Sunday Sun last night.

"During my days at Boca Juniors, my agents told me that the English club demanded reports on me as they were interested in signing me.

"I was interested, Newcastle is a historic club. But it wasn't possible to agree a deal and my destiny was to join Corinthians."

Robson was alerted to Tevez's ability even before the youngster's valuation rocketed after he won gold with Argentina at the 2004 Olympics.

But as far as today is concerned, the striker is warning his new team- mates against over-confidence.

"They have made a bad start with only three points from three matches, but that does not give us any advantage," added Tevez. "We cannot afford to relax."

Out of our price range now unfortunately, I can see him being in the £15m - £20m price range.

If only we hadn't wasted money on Boumsong, Luque........not to mention underselling - and even selling him full stop - Bellamy, which meant we had to buy Owen and Martins, instead of just one of them. Its all relative.

Interesting that people say they don't want these quality "trophy" players. But I would rather spend big money on a player like this than 3 or 4 average ones anytime.

He might not cost that much though. We will see. It might depend on who else is interested.

The only problem with that approach is when the "trophy" signing is out injured we're fucked, like we're now without Owen.

I said we should sign Tevez last year when I saw how good he was in the world cup...He would be amazing here, linking with Martins or Owen...We are too heavily dependent on Martins to score goals for us and if he is not on fire that day then we have fu*k all chance of getting a goal...

I said we should sign Tevez last year when I saw how good he was in the world cup...

eagle eye...

Even better...

Guest JamesD

I said we should sign Tevez last year when I saw how good he was in the world cup...

eagle eye...

Even better...

Just joshin* ya!

*american slang for "kidding" popular in the 1950's in suburbia...

The way things are going at SJP, the club have about as much chance of signing Tevez as they have of getting Ronaldinho,Henry,Ashton et al - i.e. NO Chance.

Tevez is still young and has great talent but it will probably take a move to Spain to see the best of him.

People like Huntelaar are also complete non-starters ; get used to it - NUFC are now seen as second-raters and will be scrapping amongst the rest of the also-rans for top class players.

I would bet that we wouldn't even win a contest with Allardyce over a proposed signing, let alone O'Neill - that's how far the club has dropped in 4 years .

P.S.Changed my mind over Ashton - we MIGHT have a chance, but only if he looks like carrying his ankle injury for a long time....!

Remember the comments of Hamman, when asked why he left Newcastle -'The Board was average, so the Club was average...'

Guest slimbob

christ, imagine if he did sign for us , what would be the point, he'd probably be made to hold the ball up half the time, and the rest of the time try and get his head on uselessly wank crosses, no point, be better off going to spain or a decent team like arsenal or the mancs, which i'm sure he will

would be an amazing signing, would do alright, but would be a waste of a talent, he is out of our league

I think we should sign him so we can play 4-3-3 Martins/Owen/Tevez up front and Carr/Ramage/Bramble/Babayaro at the back and therefore achieve the most comically unbalanced team in history.  Imagine having three of the greatest strikers in the world chasing the long balls of League 2 level donkeys like Ramage & Bramble.  Comedy gold there.

Guest Ridzuan

Thought he was brilliant yesterday as well.I agree that he is a quality player but I dont think we should go for him,unless he comes here for free of course.

Tevez was awesome yesterday and idd not deserve to be on the loseing team, does need to lose some weight though fkn hell he has a wobble. :D

But I would not want him as a striker, if he was going to show that work rate every game them I would use him as an ACM, perfect Emre replacemrnt.. He would create so much midfield magic, but yeah way to pricey for us now, he will join his mate at Pool.

I'd like to see him here, but unfortunately we need to sort the defence out first and foremost which (rightly) will take up most, if not all, of our budget.

Also, no advisor worth anything would tell him to come to Newcastle, unless he has guarantees that the defence will also be sorted.

Guest optimistic nit

You can have too many top forwards at a football club. We will hvae Owen and Martins next season. Add Sibers, Ameobi and Dyer (depending where you prefer him) to that list and your talking 5 strikers.

If we signed Tevez then Owen or Martins would go, maybe not straight away but they would go. I'd prefer it if we resigned someone like Lua Lua who offers something different or a taller striker to give an ariel threat.

Most importantly we should not be concentrating on strikers. We need a left back and centre mid first.

sibers and ameobi are not good enough, and dyer will be a midfielder next season (and hopefully fourth striker as well as a front line of owen, martins, tevez (or someone else) and dyer is to die for). its also worth noting that i thought the same thing about rooney, when we had bellers, shearer, kluievert, ameobi and chopera.

The only problem with that approach is when the "trophy" signing is out injured we're fucked, like we're now without Owen.

the only problem with not buying "trophy" players, is you end up alongside the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and the mackems [except the last 15 years since we started buying "trophy" players and leaped ahead of them] - as I keep pointing out. Meaning, even more "fucked". But I don't expect you to understand.

You could, however, tell us who these "trophy" players are at Newcastle that you keep referring to ?