One other thing about Roeder's transfer policy which p*sses me off

Slugsy

*warning - another disgruntled moan about Roeder*

He's had two transfer windows and not signed one defender (Bernard doesn't count - that was a desperate attempt and one which has failed miserably) on a permanent contract. 

The repercussions of this is having to play Huntingdon/Steven Taylor/Ramage (i.e. ducks out of water) at left back, rely on Bramble as our main centre half, continue to attempt to play Steven Carr full stop and from what I can see, we have only kept 5 clean sheets in the league this year.

He may have not had as much money as previous managers but there has been a number of defenders he could have got and failed to do so for one excuse or another.

Not good enough for me, not good enough at all.

I agree I would have liked to have seen a lot more defenders. But he has got Gooch, who looks good so far, and we have plenty of CBs.

The full back situation is very disappointing, and no-one knows whether his excuses are true or not (no players available etc).

I agree I would have liked to have seen a lot more defenders. But he has got Gooch, who looks good so far, and we have plenty of CBs.

The full back situation is very disappointing, and no-one knows whether his excuses are true or not (no players available etc).

Gooch is looking okay, I can't judge him yet, I know we have a number of CB's, its whether they are good enough that I question.  The fullback situation is a total joke.

Guest Gemmill

Stephen Carr is in the form of his life tbh.  No one commands more respect in the dressing room than him.

No one commands more respect in the dressing room than him.

;D

Is that respect for his ability to take on the 16 oz steak at TGI Fridays or the ability as an illusionist to fool Glen Roeder that he is actually a premiership footballer?

Roeder himself has admitted that Sol Campbell is one of the transfers of the season alongsied Sibierski :o

I dont see any reason why Roeder didnt sign him

He missed on him big time and its because he is poor manager

Guest Gemmill

Roeder himself has admitted that Sol Campbell is one of the transfers of the season alongsied Sibierski :o

I dont see any reason why Roeder didnt sign him

He missed on him big time and its because he is poor manager

He hadn't played enough games in the last season and a half supposedly.  Which explains our subsequent interest in Woodgate.

i know we havent signed any defenders which too has pissed me off but he did genuinely try and sign Woodgate and huth both wanted to go to smogland for whatever reason.

We really should have signed Campbell to add some experience and proper football talent to the back line. I was pissed off when Roeder said he wasn't interested.

Yeah, if Harry Redknapp can get players along the lines of Lauren and Campbell and get them playing, then there's no reason apart from being poor in that department that Roeder couldn't. And let's face it, he hardly makes up for it in other departments.

Guest Ridzuan

Roeder is too foolish to realise that senior players still can play some good football,but instead Roeder wants to find a young players and turn them into a star at the club.

Woodgate and Campbell were both big risks to take, if we had signed them and they had been injured early on Roeder would have been slated for signign old injury prone players. Oh aye its fine for us to complain about it now though eh, aint hindsight a wonderful thing.....

Tbh, I'm sure we'd all rather sit here and slate Roeder for signing old injury prone players, than slate him for getting fuck all in instead. I know I would. At least the man would show he's capable of doing something to try and improve this team without his 100% risk free and deliver no end product mentality.

Woodgate and Campbell were both big risks to take, if we had signed them and they had been injured early on Roeder would have been slated for signign old injury prone players. Oh aye its fine for us to complain about it now though eh, aint hindsight a wonderful thing.....

Funnily enough, I think spending £10m on Martins was a bigger gamble than either of those.

Guest Gemmill

Anyone with half a brain was advocating the signing of Campbell at the time, so it's hardly fair to claim hindsight is being employed.

Oba was a risk and had he turned out to be another Luque then Roeder would be getting slated for that too. He is in a no win situation yet we all knw its not up to Glenn who get buy its upto Freddy!!

Guest Gemmill

Oba was a risk and had he turned out to be another Luque then Roeder would be getting slated for that too. He is in a no win situation yet we all knw its not up to Glenn who get buy its upto Freddy!!

He's not in a no win situation at all.  Yes, if Martins had been another Luque he'd have got slated (and rightly so [/shearer] ), but if Martins turns out to be very good, he'll get praised.  So how's that no win?  If he'd signed Campbell he would have been praised, not slated.

Again though its still all risk, he opted agianst Sol and yeah it turned out he has been great for Pompey but Roeder was not willing to risk it going bad for us if we had signed him, I can't slate him for that.

I was gutted over our lack of signings as much as eceryone else but Roeder is not the one that seals the deals!

Guest Gemmill

Signing Campbell had common sense written all over it.  Of course you can slate him for not seeing that.  Opportunities like that don't come along very often and to not even try and sign the bloke was idiotic.  Same with Hasselbaink - I'd still rather have a proper forward like Hasselbaink here than Sibierski despite how spawny we have been with Sib.

I was gutted over our lack of signings as much as eceryone else but Roeder is not the one that seals the deals!

I actually disagree.  I'm Shepherd's biggest critic but our lack of signings can't be put down solely to Shepherd.  There were cheap deals to be had and Roeder didn't get any, our defense was a massive priority in the summer and in Janaury and the loan signing of Gooch was hardly adequate.

I actually think as well, players are also less likely to come here or want to come here because of who we have as manager.  Roeder is hardly a great name in world football.  That was one of Keegan's, Dalglish's and Robson's biggest qualities - pulling power on name alone.

Furthermore, as Gemmill points out - Sol Campbell had common sense written all over it.

O

Wrong.

Roeder has fucked up royally, as anyone who thought about it at the time knew he would.

If we don't sign 2 new fullbacks and a new centre half in the Summer I think there'll be a riot.

Ian, we do have quite a few CBs, but on the whole they're all shit.

Campbell was a huge risk and I suspect many on here are rewritting history.

I would think in normal circumstances we could agree on a couple of very obvious issues regarding Campbell.

1. He was a headcase last year and was not playing for Arsenal due to emotional/psychological reasons

2. He was on 100k a week

3. His agent approached Newcastle first with the idea of maintaining that very high wage and

4. Discounts were only discussed once Campbell and his agent were faced with Harry Redknapp

5. 'Arry is one of the greatest (if not THE) greatest bargainers in the Premiership

So with these pieces of information at hand it is not outlandinsh to envision a situation where Campbell signed for Newcastle but ended up not playing for whatever reason - so he would have joined Owen and Dyer with a combined weekley wage of around 270K a week (probably greater than that of Wigan's entire squad) resulting in the PLC and supporters calling for Roeder's head on a stick.

Guest Gemmill

I would think in normal circumstances we could agree on a couple of very obvious issues regarding Campbell.

1. He was a headcase last year and was not playing for Arsenal due to emotional/psychological reasons

2. He was on 100k a week

3. His agent approached Newcastle first with the idea of maintaining that very high wage and

4. Discounts were only discussed once Campbell and his agent were faced with Harry Redknapp

5. 'Arry is one of the greatest (if not THE) greatest bargainers in the Premiership

So with these pieces of information at hand it is not outlandinsh to envision a situation where Campbell signed for Newcastle but ended up not playing for whatever reason - so he would have joined Owen and Dyer with a combined weekley wage of around 270K a week (probably greater than that of Wigan's entire squad) resulting in the PLC and supporters calling for Roeder's head on a stick.

Not rewriting anything tbh.  Plenty people, myself included, thought that Campbell was a common sense move.  Roeder didn't, and he was wrong.  Redknapp took a calculated risk and it is paying off big style.

2. He was on 100k a week

You don't seriously think that Sol Campbell would have been expecting 100k/week to play for us now, do you?

I'm with Gemmill on this one. In our situation, taking a small chance on some proven quality available for free (Campbell, Hasselbaink) had common sense written all over it.

Woodgate is another story. Now, if we were all slating Roeder for not getting Woody I would agree that hindsight got in the way as the risk would have been too big to blow our wages on him. Of course, now we regret not going for him, but that sometimes happens.. What shouldn't happen however is missing out on a couple of excellent stop gaps (if nothing more long term is available) and ending up with nothing or inferior stop gaps as we did..