Right-backs

Yorkie

I'd go for Hoyte, he's come on in leaps and bounds and is defensively very smart, canny going forward too, although he's no attacking full-back, he's more of a supporting one who will allow his wing man to bomb on, providing security behind him, and not bomb on himself to the byeline. He's young, quick, by all accounts a quiet lad, and I think he'd be available at the right price as Wenger has stated numerous times now that he wouldn't stand in the way of any of his fringe players if a team could offer them regular first-team football. And this is something we could almost guarantee for the right player, which Arsenal can't. I'd stay clear of Glen Johnson, he's nowt special and has an attitude problem, not to mention learning deficiencies that put Bramble's own to shame.

Hoyte looked good when I first saw him but how was he at the Mackems?

Glen Johnson, out of contract in a year as well. (2008)

Bargain price in the summer, say £2-4m.

Has he learnt how to defend?

Guest Knightrider

Didn't Johnson become the scapegoat, along with Ranieri of course, for Chelsea's defeat in Monaco? I could be wrong but I seem to remember him falling to pieces round about that period, which he never recovered from. I haven't seen too much of Pompey or Johnson this season but from what I have seen, he's still the same player, positionally poor and wreckless at times. His only redeeming qualities seem to be his pace, stamina and his attacking sense but even those attributes are suspect, as he often doesn't use them to great effect in the final 3rd, on what I've seen anyway. Still, I don't think he's that bad a player, but to become a good player he has a lot of work ahead of him and I can't see our lot helping him in that sense so I'd stay clear and sign someone who has a good attitude and isn't going to require expert coaching or time to fulfil some skewered potential. And that goes for any player we sign really.

I'd go for Hoyte, he's come on in leaps and bounds and is defensively very smart, canny going forward too, although he's no attacking full-back, he's more of a supporting one who will allow his wing man to bomb on, providing security behind him, and not bomb on himself to the byeline. He's young, quick, by all accounts a quiet lad, and I think he'd be available at the right price as Wenger has stated numerous times now that he wouldn't stand in the way of any of his fringe players if a team could offer them regular first-team football. And this is something we could almost guarantee for the right player, which Arsenal can't. I'd stay clear of Glen Johnson, he's nowt special and has an attitude problem, not to mention learning deficiencies that put Bramble's own to shame.

Glen Johnson, out of contract in a year as well. (2008)

Bargain price in the summer, say £2-4m.

Has he learnt how to defend?

I think its a work in progress tbh, but from what i've seen he's been tidy, and one of there better defenders, certainly in the 1st half of the season.

Pompy are on BBC 1 shortly aren't they?

Go watch him score and own goal and get sent off just to fuk my argument right up.  :laugh:

Didn't Johnson become the scapegoat, along with Ranieri of course, for Chelsea's defeat in Monaco? I could be wrong but I seem to remember him falling to pieces round about that period, which he never recovered from. I haven't seen too much of Pompey or Johnson this season but from what I have seen, he's still the same player, positionally poor and wreckless at times. His only redeeming qualities seem to be his pace, stamina and his attacking sense but even those attributes are suspect, as he often doesn't use them to great effect in the final 3rd, on what I've seen anyway. Still, I don't think he's that bad a player, but to become a good player he has a lot of work ahead of him and I can't see our lot helping him in that sense so I'd stay clear and sign someone who has a good attitude and isn't going to require expert coaching or time to fulfil some skewered potential. And that goes for any player we sign really.

He is a gamble, especially here, but i think he could be one worth taking, GR brought him up through the WHU squad, he might respond well to GR over another manager.

Guest Knightrider

I didn't see too much of him but one game I watched, against Chelsea at home, he played at RB, and I thought he was superb and clearly the only Premiership player in their team, I even think he got a standing ovation for his performance. In general, he did well by all accounts.

This season, he has been a surprise for Arsenal and played really well, domestically and in Europe, he seems a very calm and self assured defender, a no risks full-back who knows his limitations but has enough confidence to support the attack and get on the ball. I like him and think he'd be a very good signing, one who could solve our right-back problems for a long time, and having Nobby to learn from, could help him develop his already sound game, that bit further.

Time to splash the "cash".

-Miguel, Maxwell, Dani Alves, Owomoyela, Taiwo, that Ivory coast one..., Bridge, Eboue, Heinze, Grosso to name a few..

Maxwell would be an excellent signing, and one in both our price range and availability.

Not having the best of times at Inter, restricted appearances, i'd go for that.

Taiwo again had a solid WC, liked the look of him. Edit: I was talking about the Nigerian one playing for Marsielle, again good player.

Yeah Boka..

So in our price range and possible targets:

Maxwell

Taiwo

Boka

these players could do well in the premiership because of the're strength and playing style, unlike players like Maicon, Grosso and Babayaro, who are light weight and rely on pace and technique.

Guest JamesD

i would love maxwell here. i saw him for inter and i thought that he would be way out of our league. but if people here seem to think hes obtainable, then maybe i'm wrong. hope i am because he would be great. having a competent left back would go so far towards creating a good side.

RB - Richards

LB - Baines

£18m + £7m = not affordable...

Glad to see us keeping it realistic, although the call for Ronaldinho to be the club mascot and do a dance at HT was a little bit OTT.

Guest anthony118

What about Matty Taylor of Pompey - always struck me as being a good full back. Shouldn't be too expensive either.

When I think of Glen johnson, all I can think of is how he broke his hand punching a wall in frustration when he wasn't getting games in Chelsea. Has to be the funniest injury in the history of the Premiership.

Guest Knightrider

What about Matty Taylor of Pompey - always struck me as being a good full back. Shouldn't be too expensive either.

More of a left sided midfielder these days, than a LB. when he does play at LB, his positioning and defending skills are suspect, good decent player though.