Given going nowhere!!

Skirge

O0 O0 Cracking words from Shay  O0 O0 O0

Shay Given is adamant he will stay with Newcastle for the rest of his career.

Given moved to St James' Park from Blackburn in 1997 and has established himself as one the most consistent goalkeepers in the Premiership over the last decade.

He has been linked with a move away from the North East but has four years left on his current contract and insists he has no intention of leaving.

"I am only a few months away from being at Newcastle for 10 years and that feels great," he explained.

"I've played over 400 games for the club and I don't think I'll ever move away, even when I've stopped playing.

"There have been rumours linking me with some of the Premiership's biggest clubs but I just ignore that."

Given hopes to be remembered as one of the best players in Newcastle's history but is aware he has to help the club capture the silverware that has so far eluded him.

He said: "It would be special to be seen as a legend. The big icons are Alan Shearer and Jackie Milburn because they were both great strikers.

"They are both legends, but I would be happy if I made Newcastle's all-time XI.

"I would love to pick up silverware. I would hate to finish playing having never won anything for Newcastle.

"We are still in the Uefa Cup and we have a great chance of winning that as we have a decent squad.

"There has been talk of Werder Bremen and Sevilla, but I fancy us and Tottenham to be real contenders for this tournament."

Already a legend, if he stays for the rest of his career surely the guy should be celebrated in the same vain as Shearer, imo just as important to us over the last decade as the big man.

Shay's Bar here we come!  :thup:

Already a legend, if he stays for the rest of his career surely the guy should be celebrated in the same vain as Shearer, imo just as important to us over the last decade as the big man.

Shay's Bar here we come!  :thup:

I agree, no reason why he should not be honourd in the same way, well not another Bar but something. He has been outstanding for us.

Guest Ridzuan

Nice to hear that from him.Im sure he will win at least one trophy with us,Im trying to be optimistic here and I am sure he will be a legend at the club,well he is already a legend.When he retires,I wonder who will fill that huge gap.

Guest Knightrider

Why hasn't no one mentioned that he's already won a trophy for us? (The glorious Intertoto-Cup)

WE WON THE INTERTOTO??!!

Guest anthony118

Well, the Intertoto plaque.... or was there actually a cup?

Can't say any more that hasn't already been said about Given - legend.

isn't he due a testimonial then if he has been here since 1997 ?

Havemnt really heard anything about it so i  take it a date hasnt been set.

Well i doubt it will be until he leaves the club or is in his final season.

Cant see  a Shay send off for about 4 years at least.

I WILL be there through.