Article on BBC Sport, Roeder Rubbish, Big Club?

Mowen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A20812862

Newcastle can chalk off another year without a trophy after their wretched, spineless Uefa Cup exit against AZ Alkmaar.

Glenn Roeder's desperately negative and naive game-plan was a cast-iron guarantee that it would be 38 years and counting since the distant black and white memories of the Inter Cities Fairs Cup win against Újpest Dózsa.

Newcastle supporters have not been short on suffering, and the alarm bells signalling another inevitable disappointment must have been ringing when Roeder proclaimed before the game that a goalless draw would do his side nicely.

And once the game started, their worst fears were confirmed. Roeder, with a two-goal cushion, sent Newcastle to their demise.

Roeder is only too keen to paint himself as a shrewd, street-smart tactician when Newcastle win, but he should have known Alkmaar, under the vastly superior coaching of Louis van Gaal, do not do goalless draws.

So timid Newcastle sat back and almost accepted their fate like frightened men, hoping to scrape a goal or somehow hang on against a side that looked full of goals and attacking intent.

Roeder shifted some of the blame on to the referee and a lot of the blame on to his defenders.

Strangely enough, not too much of the blame appeared to land at his door.

Sorry Glenn, this one rotted from the top down and you must take your share as well.

True enough, Newcastle were without Michael Owen, as they have been for virtually 15 months, but does one serious injury have such a debilitating effect?

Roeder talks of bringing in defenders, but he has had plenty of time to do that and this is a classic case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

And why was James Milner, a positive influence and arguably Newcastle's best player this season, left on the bench when Roeder surely knew a goal would pile almost insurmoutable pressure on Alkmaar?

Even Emre was thrown into the fray before him, a move that was hardly a raging success.

What would a warrior like Alan Shearer have made of Newcastle's pathetic approach in Holland, seemingly stripped of positive intent and cowering their way out of the cup?

Newcastle play in a big city with big support, but the question remains about whether they are a big club.

They have certainly acted like a big club.

And chairman Freddy Shepherd - for all the criticism - could never be accused of not thinking big in the transfer marker.

The big signings have arrived on a regular basis, namely superstar captures like Shearer and Owen, but trophies have the same effect on Newcastle as kryptonite did on Superman.

Newcastle will only be a truly big club when they have a recent history to speak of and trophies to parade.

Big clubs win silverware on a much more regular basis than Newcastle.

Not every year maybe, but they tend to trouble the trophy room cleaners rather more than once every 40 years.

The fans will continue to turn up, as they invariably do.

But they can no longer rely on boasting about a history no-one can actually remember, the amount of supporters who turn out to greet new signings, or the year they threw the Premiership away because Kevin Keegan started pointing and shouting live on telly.

Newcastle United is currently a middle of the road club that has not won a trophy for 38 years. These are the facts.

And now questions will be asked about whether Roeder is the man who can actually ends this period in the wilderness.

On the evidence of what was little more than a surrender against Alkmaar, that is a question that needs to be pondered very seriously.

Some decent points about Glenda I reckon, the talk of being a 'big' club will no doubt get some people going.

Seems a decent article in the main, don't really know what the writers obvious dislike of Roeder meant he had to lead on to having a bit of a dig at the club though, didn't really think it was particularly relevant. Maybe the article wasn't long enough without it....

Roeder talks of bringing in defenders, but he has had plenty of time to do that and this is a classic case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

exactly don't fucking blame the defenders when everyone knew they were shite last summer and he had 2 transfer windows and did next to nothing defensively. Why doesnt he come out and say why he didnt buy cover last summer? drives me mad! relying on ramage, babayaro, bramble, carr etc is HIS FAULT!

Guest Phil K

I often slag off the BBC for their bias, but that could have been written by one of us.

On the nose. The "big club" thing is always thrown at us by them anyways. It'll stay until we actually start winning like one.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this one game showed Roeder up as the plastic manager he is and always has been.

We need quality as manager, not a poor-quality temporary stand-in who outstayed his role by an entire season.

All true in this article

At the moment we are mid table team with some very good players with the best fans in the world with one of the biggest stadiums in England with poor manager and even poorer and more stupid chairman

That is what newcastle united football club is

One more thing about our beloved chairman

They are right in the article when they say our chairman always brings and gives money to bring good,famous and star players

The only thing they didnt say is that he didnt bring the good,famous and star manager to manage this players

If Shepherd appointed some class manager after SBR was sacked i would still back him up and i will still wanted him to stay

But he fucked 2 times and he fucked big time so he needs to go like Glenda too

Guest Ridzuan

Good read and there are some good points made.I honestly dont know why we are always regarded as one of the 'big club' in the country,well that is what I always think of.Of course we dont deserve that term because big clubs means they win trophies constantly,unlike us.

I often slag off the BBC for their bias, but that could have been written by one of us.

On the nose.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this one game showed Roeder up as the plastic manager he is and always has been.

We need quality as manager, not a poor-quality temporary stand-in who outstayed his role by an entire season.

i actually think that whatever bright moments we had this season, they were achieved despite Roeder.. just because we have players who are skillful enough like Martins, Dyer, Milner and Solano who are capable of winning us games and lifting other people's confidence whatever system we play, whoever joke is the manager and whatever his instructions are..

Everyone does realise that this article is on 606 and is therefore written by an angry fan, not a journo fella.

Aye. And it's spot on.

Everyone does realise that this article is on 606 and is therefore written by an angry fan, not a journo fella.

of course, media's stance is: "roeder did an amazing job.. honest man.. not blaming it on injuries.. careful in the transfer market.."

606 is just as credible as BBC and Sky when it comes to the big men in brittish football - those who own the clubs.. you won't hear anything bad about Roeder from the 'big experts' until Shepherd decides so..

It's actually written by Phil McNulty, the chief football writer at BBC Sport.  And it's fucking spot on, every single word.

It's actually written by Phil McNulty, the chief football writer at BBC Sport.  And it's fucking spot on, every single word.

Suprising, i didn't think the BBC had the guts to publish an article like that.

Guest magpies_rawk

The big signings have arrived on a regular basis, namely superstar captures like Shearer and Owen

This is bollocks. Two such signings in ten years is "big signings arriving on a regular basis"?

i think he meant big money signings like Robert, Luque (eh? don't start), boumsong, viana,  marcelino, woodgate, duncan ferg, dyer etc

all above 5 million pounds

The big signings have arrived on a regular basis, namely superstar captures like Shearer and Owen

This is bollocks. Two such signings in ten years is "big signings arriving on a regular basis"?

thought you said we make nothing but "trophy signings" ?

Shame it isn't written by your london journo chum you dug the dirt on the club to eh ?

Anyway, the sentence the year they threw the Premiership away because Kevin Keegan started pointing and shouting live on telly should tell you its written by a biased idiot with little idea of the club, along with the quote

The fans will continue to turn up, as they invariably do which shows he also knows nothing about the club, like the KK bandwagon jumpers ie thickmick and ozziemandiarse, who certainly didn't "invariably show up" when the club had shit directors, along with 30,000 others.

i think he meant big money signings like Robert, Luque (eh? don't start), boumsong, viana,  marcelino, woodgate, duncan ferg, dyer etc

Mandiarse is such a "long term fan" he thinks the club has always bought big players, and also thinks every other club spends such micky mouse fees as we did on all those you mention, making it completely insignificant .....

Mandiarse is such a "long term fan" he thinks the club has always bought big players, and also thinks every other club spends such micky mouse fees as we did on all those you mention, making it completely insignificant .....

thats right, grandpa.. tell us one more time how great Shepherd is

thats right, grandpa.. tell us one more time how great Shepherd is

I have never said anyone is "great", apart from possibly Craig Bellamy  :cheesy:

You can - however - consider the fact that just because I know better than a load of nodding dogs, and am prepared to put up opinions backed up with factual information, isn't such a bad thing.

Can't disagree with much of that, but all the big club stuff is only what's been enhanced by the media.

I bet if you put a poll up on here, posing the question - "How big a club are we?", varying from massive to tiny - the results would probably level out around the middle-of-the-road mark, like this reporter states. Providing that all of those under 15 ( ;) ) weren't permitted to vote.

Wonder if he's a Newcastle fan? Sounds like he maybe could be. That was an angry article.