Titus Bramble

Mr. Slugworth

I know this has been much discussed in other threads but I feel it needs it's own discussion.  My point is this: so long as Titus Bramble is associated with this club, we have no chance of getting anywhere whatsoever.  I don't know the lad and I don't want to be too harsh on him as a person, but I pay towards him earning more in a week than I earn in a year to play football so I think i'm entitled to take a shot...

On (very rare) occassions, he's looked the part.  Big, strong, fast, aggressive.  But then again, so was f*cking Linford Christie!!  I'd honestly choose any other CB in the whole league to Titus, as he introduces the element of uncertainly which spreads through the team like a cancer.  I'm no great fan of Babayaro or Carr (indeed, they need to go too!), but I reckon they'd look a lot better alongside a Woodgate or Terry.  It's not that Titus is shite, it's that he's shite most of the time and he will never be reliable or consistent (he's 25 now isn't he?)

If a ball comes in and Titus goes in for it, he often wins a great tackle and everyone thinks hey, great stuff.  But just as often, he's prone to f*ck it up and Shay and the rest of the lads never know which it'll be, so they're never concentrating on their own position, they've got one eye on having to make a desperate, last minute recovery.  I'm not trying to say that we're blessed with a great defence (I would honestly only keep Nobby, Tayls - though he's got a lot to learn, and possibly Gooch as a squad player) but I really feel that Bramble drags down the standard of play and is at the crux of our problems.  Just my opinion...

I know this has been much discussed in other threads but I feel it needs it's own discussion.  My point is this: so long as Titus Bramble is associated with this club, we have no chance of getting anywhere whatsoever.  I don't know the lad and I don't want to be too harsh on him as a person, but I pay towards him earning more in a week than I earn in a year to play football so I think i'm entitled to take a shot...

On (very rare) occassions, he's looked the part.  Big, strong, fast, aggressive.  But then again, so was f*cking Linford Christie!!  I'd honestly choose any other CB in the whole league to Titus, as he introduces the element of uncertainly which spreads through the team like a cancer.  I'm no great fan of Babayaro or Carr (indeed, they need to go too!), but I reckon they'd look a lot better alongside a Woodgate or Terry.  It's not that Titus is s****, it's that he's s**** most of the time and he will never be reliable or consistent (he's 25 now isn't he?)

If a ball comes in and Titus goes in for it, he often wins a great tackle and everyone thinks hey, great stuff.  But just as often, he's prone to f*ck it up and Shay and the rest of the lads never know which it'll be, so they're never concentrating on their own position, they've got one eye on having to make a desperate, last minute recovery.  I'm not trying to say that we're blessed with a great defence (I would honestly only keep Nobby, Tayls - though he's got a lot to learn, and possibly Gooch as a squad player) but I really feel that Bramble drags down the standard of play and is at the crux of our problems.  Just my opinion...

I agree - it infuriates me when I read some of the sh*te talked about Bramble on this forum - he puts together 2/3 games against inferior opposition and folk start whaffling on about 'turning the corner' and 'better than Terry' (that was the funniest one ever).

He is a walking liability and until we get rid of players like him, we will never be on the right track.

I've defended Bramble in the past, I think on his day he's a terrific defender. The nailed on fact though is that he has a lot more bad days than good ones, and when he's bad he's extremely bad.

If we offer him a new contract it will show the ambition that Roeder, Shepherd et all have. If they've any desire to move up the table they'll let him go and sign a good, consistent defender to replace him. Loads of other teams have them so its not as if they're like gold-dust.

Taylor has got the talent, but alongside Bramble he's going to learn nothing but bad habits. We need to bring him along with a good, solid centre half. Not a clown.

On (very rare) occassions, he's looked the part.  Big, strong, fast, aggressive.  But then again, so was f*cking Linford Christie!!  I'd honestly choose any other CB in the whole league to Titus, as he introduces the element of uncertainly which spreads through the team like a cancer.  I'm no great fan of Babayaro or Carr (indeed, they need to go too!), but I reckon they'd look a lot better alongside a Woodgate or Terry.  It's not that Titus is s****, it's that he's s**** most of the time and he will never be reliable or consistent (he's 25 now isn't he?)

I agree - it infuriates me when I read some of the sh*te talked about Bramble on this forum - he puts together 2/3 games against inferior opposition and folk start whaffling on about 'turning the corner' and 'better than Terry' (that was the funniest one ever).

He is a walking liability and until we get rid of players like him, we will never be on the right track.

Very true, people saying he's a squad player/good back-up etc need their heads examined also. How can a player who makes consistent mistakes be relied upon to come in for injured players etc when their mistakes always cost goals and games? Thats not a good squad player, its a shite one!

I've defended Bramble in the past, I think on his day he's a terrific defender. The nailed on fact though is that he has a lot more bad days than good ones, and when he's bad he's extremely bad.

This for me.

I concur with the majority of people on here in that I think it'll be his last season as a Newcastle player.

My fear is that somebody like a Sam Allardyce will turn him into a cracking defender and we'll rue the day we got rid of him.

If we're being honest, and by that I mean taking his personal life out of the picture, he can be quality but it's his shite concentration that lets him down. If his next Manager can fix that, then they've got a bargain buy of great proportions on their hands.

If they can't fix that then.............he'll be a Championship player within two years. Nailed on.

Aye Taylor missed out on Sunday due to an injury, Bramble was just dropped. Glenn was lviid on Thursday and I think its going to take a lot to keep Titus here now. Only injury to another CB will see him play again this season.

Guest Gemmill

I look forward (hopefully) to him leaving at the end of the season.  Firstly because we'll be shot of him, but also because I look forward to him getting a dose of reality - going to a lesser club on much lower wages and playing in front of vastly reduced crowds.  Maybe then he'll realise how much of a good thing he was on at NUFC, and how maybe putting that little bit of work in on his game/concentration instead of treating it like a 9-to-5 could have made all the difference.

Guest MagicNumber9

I think the comments from Roeder after the Waffa Cup game were pretty obvious he's on his way tbh.

What did Roeder say on it? ive never heard this?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007120641,00.html

GLENN ROEDER is ready to wield the axe — and that is bad news for Titus Bramble.

The Newcastle boss slaughtered his defence after their shambolic UEFA Cup display on Thursday.

And Roeder singled out centre-back Bramble for the error which allowed AZ Alkmaar to bag the killer strike as the Toon lost on away goals.

Roeder had said before the second leg of the last-16 clash that Bramble, out of contract in the summer, was playing for his future.

But it was one shoddy performance too far in Holland and the 25-year-old could be off as inquests are conducted into the 2-0 defeat.

Roeder raged: “Shay Given is a top-drawer keeper but he does not get the protection he should get. He is exposed far too easily.

“Too many defenders make too many mistakes that cost us.

“They do well, you are happy with them and you think they have learned.

“Then ‘bang!’ — they go and make the same mistake again and let you down.”

Roeder, though, never mentioned that he was outwitted and out- thought by Dutch master Louis van Gaal.

The Toon boss has the backing of chairman Freddy Shepherd.

Shepherd said: “It was always going to be a tough season — and that was before a ball was kicked in anger.

“Losing a legend like Alan Shearer left an almighty hole because he had been such a massive figure at Newcastle for 10 years.

“Then our record signing is ruled out for the season while playing for England at the World Cup.

“We were prepared for Alan’s retirement but to lose Michael Owen as well was a cruel blow.

“And I haven’t even started talking about the other injuries which have decimated Glenn’s squad.

“It has been a tough year and, under the circumstances, I wouldn’t call it a failure.

“Of course we’re desperate for success but not many clubs would have coped with the problems we’ve had.”

Midfielder Kieron Dyer was devastated by the defeat in Holland.

He said: “It’s like groundhog day. Now it is another season with nothing to play for.”

I look forward (hopefully) to him leaving at the end of the season.  Firstly because we'll be shot of him, but also because I look forward to him getting a dose of reality - going to a lesser club on much lower wages and playing in front of vastly reduced crowds.  Maybe then he'll realise how much of a good thing he was on at NUFC, and how maybe putting that little bit of work in on his game/concentration instead of treating it like a 9-to-5 could have made all the difference.

Thing is, if he goes on a Bosman he's nailed-on to get a cushy sign-on fee and far better wages than he could expect if we were actually selling him. I doubt he'll lose too much money on the deal, if not actually make a gain on the initial contract he signs. I'd be willing to bet that a PL club will take the gamble on him, an' all, obviously I agree with your sentiment though.

Like riches said, he could go on to be very good and then the idiots will whinge that we should have never sold him - even though he's never going to get any better as long as he's here. The lad is just a "dolt", simple as, anyone who can dread going to football training every day and call it "work" wants a slapping. Although, in fairness, he did say that when Souness was here.

Bramble is done here no doubt.

But like the above poster says there is a very good chance he will end up emerging at another club under a different manager. Not because of anything we haven't done for him while he has been here, but more because he has just been here too long and has become a joke over here and he needs a new start.

Going to a new club will take the weight of his shoulders and I think he will be a lot better, especially if he is at a smaller club where expectations are not as great. I think he is one who gets intimidated by playing infront of 55,000 passionate fans whose groans can be heard loud and clear.

Would be more comfortable at the likes of Wigan, Manchester City, Reading etc.

For me, what Glenn and Freddy decide to do here will determine a great deal and the future direction of the club.

Option 1. Offer him a new contract in the hope that they can get the best out of him (I reckon this is his best tbh) and because it's the cheaper option.

Option 2. Let the lad move on as he isn't good enough for what we need here. Simple as that. Buy a replacement that can be relied upon to (at the least) not give stupid goals away regularly.  Distin/Ben Haim are also available for free this summer and i'd happily take either/both over Bramble. 

Tbh, would rather see Huntington given a run at his preferred CB till the end of the season over playing Titus, at least we can have a proper look at him.  Edgar at left back?

I fear Fred will opt for option 1, with Glenn towing the line.  We shall see...

Taylor is more of a liability than Titus at the moment.

I'd still offer Titus a contract and have him as back-up, we cannot afford to lose another body in the summer for nowt if we've got no money to spend.

I'd still offer Titus a contract and have him as back-up, we cannot afford to lose another body in the summer for nowt if we've got no money to spend.

I disagree, if you give Titus a new contract, all you are doing is condoning/accepting a level of standard that will see us continue to languish in mediocrity.

We do need bodies, but I am sure there are better/with more potential that will not cost stupid money.  I would have hoped that we had the scouting network/management that could identify those players  - most other teams seem to be able to.

If we've got "no money" to spend, I'll eat my hat.

EDIT: People are quick to forget the incoming influx of new TV money, allied with the fact we generally always spend decent money in the summer.