Fred's Pledge

Skirge

bringing in better "big name" players won't help us long term; if we still have a s*** manager/coaches/scouts/youth system we'll never progress

Correctamundo....

Fix the head and the body will take care of itself. ;)

We all know that Shepherd and Roeder will remain here next season so we have to accept the fact that Roeder will spend the money in the summer

The Owen bid was not just about selling season tickets, where as the Rooney bid was pure embarrassing fiasco..

how was it embarrassing ? his agent admitted he nearly came here and i think he says in his autobiog that if the mancs hadn't come on for him he would probably have gone to newcastle

Guest Hibbits left foot

Point is what will be the amount we spend after we sell? Once weve sold a few i bet the actual figure will be less than 10 mil

last season we spent £15m but just on two players, we need to asses the current diabolical situation of our squad at the minute, the defence is a must and we need a powerhouse up front.

Personally I'd think about signing a couple of wingers aswell.

Why do we need to spend big? It's been shown by teams like Bolton, Blackburn and Reading that you don't need to spend big to get success. Why can't we bring in a couple of free's like Sidwell and Ben Haim. Then all we need is 2 or 3 more palyers who we could probobly obtain for £10-15 million.

can you see roeder getting players like those ,he may talk about them but action speaks louder than words . ;)

Like FS said, independant from the clubs finances, we have made quite abit this season even without the desired silverwear. £20mil would be sufficient to get us started on the road to success come the summer.

Erm, sorry to bring reality into this fantasy land that most people seem happy to inhabit, but the financial accounts I read showed a loss, A BIG FAT LOSS!!

I know it's boring and I know I say this all the time, but some of you lot really need to think about where the money's coming from.

Like FS said, independant from the clubs finances, we have made quite abit this season even without the desired silverwear. £20mil would be sufficient to get us started on the road to success come the summer.

Erm, sorry to bring reality into this fantasy land that most people seem happy to inhabit, but the financial accounts I read showed a loss, A BIG FAT LOSS!!

I know it's boring and I know I say this all the time, but some of you lot really need to think about where the money's coming from.

As I alluded to on the first page, they'll probably be forced to spend money even if it's not really there - although I certainly don't see us as being skint as some like to think and I most definitely think a lot more of Shepherd than the vast majority on here. Certainly if things get more desperate by the end of the season at least, we'll see money spent. If we are going to lose about 7 of our senior players (Bernard, Bramble, Emre, Luque, Moore, Onyewu and Srnicek at the least, I'd expect - and five of those seven will see us getting no cash at all) then it's going to take some fucking money to fill those gaps AND improve the squad elsewhere. It's going to be a mammoth summer, it simply has to be whether it be right or wrong, and unless we've got some aces up our sleeve it's going to be another expensive one.

I sincerely hope we get our share of quality in on Bosman deals in order to soften the blow, or we at least get good money if Emre does go and something for Luque, because otherwise, as you say, things could get worrying. But really, we probably don't know the half of it when it comes to where our money comes from or where it goes, which is probably for the best.

Roeder has been saying he hopes to loan out the likes of Carroll, Edgar, Huntington, Krul and Pattison (although obviously we should take that with the usual handful of salt) - but if those hopes are genuine then we'll surely be looking at replacing most of those seven players above man-for-man, at the very least, otherwise it's absolutely pie-in-the-sky to say that those younger ones mentioned can be afforded experience elsewhere.

I'm not sure what Glenn's ideal squad number is, but assuming those said players do all go permanently/on loan, we'd be left with 17 senior players in the squad (Given, Harper, Carr, Solano, Taylor, Ramage, Babayaro, Milner, Dyer, Parker, Butt, N'Zogbia, Duff, Owen, Ameobi, Martins and Sibierski.) And who can say that Carr, Babayaro, N'Zogbia and even the likes of Owen or Milner will still be here come August? That, quite frankly, makes me shit my pants... and that's even before you take into account that about a quarter/third of those remaining probably don't deserve to be anywhere near the first team any longer. That's being fairly polite to some, as well.

It's a bit surreal that it's come to this from the squad we had assembled when Robson was here, but we've come back from similar positions before in our recent history and I have to have faith that we will again and that Shepherd and the board will again provide the money that sees us alright, while keeping us in the top flight and offering us the fairly regular European adventure along with it.

I can see a lot of people being disappointed yet again when they get their hopes up only to find yet again we bring in a couple of freebies in the last 5 days of the transfer window.

If anyone has the data, it'd be interesting to plot the promised spending (from manager and/or chairman, rather than pure media speculation) versus actual spending over the past 5 or 10 years worth of transfer windows.

Guest Ridzuan

According to the bbc gossip column today,this is what they have:-

Newcastle have £20m to spend in the summer and have targeted Man Utd's Wes Brown, Southampton's Gareth Bale and West Brom's Curtis Davies. (Daily Star)

Titus Bramble is among those set to leave St James' Park - and even Obafemi Martins could depart. (Daily Mirror)

20m is quite a lot of money considering everything that has happened this season,but I cant really say whether it is true or not.The 2nd part got me surprise a little.I have no problems with Bramble leaving,but surely not Martins.If its true,I dont really know what Glenn has got up his sleeves.

There's not £20m to spend, there's not £10m to spend. There is nothing to spend.

The club are likely to lose over £20m this season.

This year wages bill is ~£60m, previous year's transfers to be paid for this year comes to ~£18m, interest payments come to ~£6m, cost of putting on games and gernal running if the club comes to ~£25m total outs comes to about £108m.

Meanwhile the the income is £83m.

Where in all this do we expect to raise money for players? Only way is to sell some of our unwanted players, and to use the money form unwanted players to buy better players for less money.

Back up on the numbers at http://www.nufc-finances.org.uk/20071.htm

No, i'm afraid it wouldn't.

We need, just to have a team anywhere near good enough:

RB

LB

CB

CM

ST

also:

CB (cover)

LB (cover)

CM (cover)

RW (cover)

bringing in better "big name" players won't help us long term; if we still have a s*** manager/coaches/scouts/youth system we'll never progress

Correctamundo....

We all know that Shepherd and Roeder will remain here next season so we have to accept the fact that Roeder will spend the money in the summer

We don't know that. We have to pray to any God you can find that Roeder is not here.

That man should be allowed to spend NOTHING. Not a penny. In fact, we should be billing HIM for fucking us up.

Correctamundo....

We don't know that. We have to pray to any God you can find that Roeder is not here.

That man should be allowed to spend NOTHING. Not a penny. In fact, we should be billing HIM for fucking us up.

He hasn't really fuked us up with his buying though.

Souness you can blame for that, and even SBR, they wasted more money than anyone in my lifetime, GR has been ok in the transfer market, just crap at everything else.

If he is in charge and buying, we'll be getting sensible players in imo, although i would like a new manager buying his own team from the start, not playing with someone elses after they've been sacked just after the window has closed.

Roeder's wasted a third of what he spent in transfer fees so far, and a shitload of wages on Bernard. I wouldn't class that as 'ok'.

We'd get our £5m back for Duff from the Spuds any day of the week, maybe more if to be believed.

Bernard will cost the club £200,000 (£4kpw) to find out he was crocked, a month's wages for Luque, or two weeks for Owen.

Martins has doubled in price as well.

Correctamundo....

Souness you can blame for that, and even SBR, they wasted more money than anyone in my lifetime, GR has been ok in the transfer market, just crap at everything else.

If he is in charge and buying, we'll be getting sensible players in imo, although i would like a new manager buying his own team from the start, not playing with someone elses after they've been sacked just after the window has closed.

Roeder has been awful. Martins, fair enough, but he's paid £10m for a player with potential, when we need someone who has already realised theirs. He wasted £5m on a player we didn't need. He brought in Bernard AFTER the window closed, and has never played him. And he brought in Gooch, who is not good.

He shoudl never be allowed to buy anyone again, although bearing in mind he shouldn't be allowed to manage a club again, thats a given.

Roeder's wasted a third of what he spent in transfer fees so far, and a shitload of wages on Bernard. I wouldn't class that as 'ok'.

We'd get our £5m back for Duff from the Spuds any day of the week, maybe more if to be believed.

Bernard will cost the club £200,000 (£4kpw) to find out he was crocked, a month's wages for Luque, or two weeks for Owen.

Martins has doubled in price as well.

Duff? Thats not proveable, plus we have paid his wages.

WE HAVE NO LEFT BACK - thats a failure in Roeders part.

And MArtins has not doubled in value, thats laughable.

Correctamundo....

Roeder has been awful. Martins, fair enough, but he's paid £10m for a player with potential, when we need someone who has already realised theirs. He wasted £5m on a player we didn't need. He brought in Bernard AFTER the window closed, and has never played him. And he brought in Gooch, who is not good.

He shoudl never be allowed to buy anyone again, although bearing in mind he shouldn't be allowed to manage a club again, thats a given.

Can't argue with that  :lol:

Gooch could of easily worked, if he went to another EPL team it probably would of worked for him, same thing with Duff, even though i agree we didn't need him, at £5m i thought it was the signing of the season, and so did most.

Martins was a gamble, imo its paid off, he's worth a lot more now than when we bought him, especially if Chelsea are sniffing.

If we put Duff up for sale in the summer there is no way we wouldn't get our money back, i think we might even make a profit on the transfer fee, but taking into account wages we'll probably break even.

Guest NSMagpie

He hasn't fucked us up, true, but only because he didn't have much money to spend.

Let's look at who came to NUFC since he's a manager:

Duff- mistake

Bernard- mistake

Onyewu- mistake

Martins- good move

Sibierski- solid, although forced solution since we didn't have enough money to spend on a big name striker

Failed to sign Campbell, who is in good form in Pompey, Woodgate who is back in McLaren's plans while playing for Boro, and Lescott, who was rumoured to be our target for months, and now plays excellent football in Everton.

So, his signing record is not that brilliant. We might easily be witnessing Souness Catastrophy No. 2 if Roeder gets big money to spend.