Sheffield United 1 - 2 Newcastle - Post match thoughts

Dave

Fuking right, Martins looked like a footballer again in those highlights, fantastic determination to keep the ball, very unlucky to not score again, Sibbi at 32 should of known to place the rebound though.

Reminded me of Tini when he was twisting and turning alover with the ball, took a foul to get him stopped. :D Also how well did he adjust himself to get the volley on target, kept it down mint, great technique.  O0

Reminded me of Tini when he was twisting and turning alover with the ball, took a foul to get him stopped. :D Also how well did he adjust himself to get the volley on target, kept it down mint, great technique.  O0

Where has that been though?

Its not inconsistency, its simply motivation, GR got them fired up today, well someone did, i'll give him the credit as i give him the bashing when they dont come out to play, but it a little bit too late.

This is again from highlights, but even though we looked suspect at the back especially down the flanks, we fought like a team, that team should of came out against AZ, and again in the two EPL games following as they were season builders, this was a season rescuer, and therefore too little too late.

I've only seen MOTD but Martins looked immense. Most of the recent criticism has been justified, other than the OTT stuff from the media wankers up here, but he's quality.

Milner getting two assists pisses me off somewhat - cheers Glenn, that's what you could have won in Alkmaar, you knobhead.

Win or not, the N'Zogbia situation has me livid. He's gone in the summer.

Guest donige

was there at the game best ive seen of oba and i was at tootenham when he scored the beast.

i fink his sheer determination and effort to help the team really prevailed today and he looked a fantastic player that has really become worth the money that we initially spent on him.

im licking my lips now as to what we have in store with the possibility of him and Owen up front with maybe ib just behind winning aerial balls for them.

was a fantastic result also have to put in a word on how well duff did he was immense, but then again so was the defense for once, didnt look like conceding a goal and we were unlucky to have conceeded.

Guest donige

just also to add to that was in the sheffield united end and at least 5 sets of their supporters towards the end of the game were quoted by me as saying these exact words:

"they're gonna be a fantastic team next season, i mean imagine having to face him (Martins) and Owen in a match!"

Good to see Oba back in the groove again. Only seen the highlights but that goal took some technique and he was inches away from a brilliant second, what Sibierski was doing with the rebound I have no idea! More of the same please Oba!

Interesting snippet from soccernet's Insider column:

MOAN OF THE MATCH: Glenn Roeder's post-match interview was one long moan. The targets varied from those who suggested Duff would join Sunderland, to critics of Parker, via anyone who thought Newcastle could have been in danger of going down and anyone who seemed to have mentioned his management of West Ham when they were relegated. Surely winning managers should be happier.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=419778&root=england&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos2&cc=3436

Where can I find the extended version of that interview, so I can bask in the wisdom of our great leader? :lol:

Guest Ridzuan

Havnt watch the full match yet but I have watch the goals and it was well taken.From what I know,Sheffield had more shot on goal than us as well as the possesion.But at the end of the day,it doesnt matter because we have won the match.Glad to see Martins getting back scoring goals.We should have won it 3-1 if Sibierski went on and scored that good opportunity but fortunately for us,we didnt got punished for that mistake.Taylor did well in the end to head in the goal.Its a great feeling to finally get on winning ways especially when Blackburn losing.Looking forward to the next game against Arsenal.

Martins is very much a confidence player, that early goal (fantastic technique) set him up for a quality game.

Lots of players are like this though, SWP can be completely shocking at times but you see him tear Chimbonda apart early on in the Spurs game and he looked a lot better than he has of late. People will mock but the same goes for Bramble, quality tackle or something early on and it will set him on his way to a good game, remember one game he scored and after that he was simply immense, absolutely nothing was getting passed him.

Give Martins a quality partner and quality support behind him and hopefully he will be given chances to get his confidence early in a game and we will see more consistant performances.

just also to add to that was in the sheffield united end and at least 5 sets of their supporters towards the end of the game were quoted by me as saying these exact words:

"they're gonna be a fantastic team next season, i mean imagine having to face him (Martins) and Owen in a match!"

Was talking to one of their fans on the walk away from the ground.  He was making similar comments about Martins saying how he's unstoppable when he gets going and how good of a player he is.  Like has already been said it's just a question of whether we can keep hold of him.

Guest redmayne

Roeder tells fans to f*** off! tbh

Don't blame him tbh. 'Support' against Man City was a disgrace imo.

Maybe if they played football we'd have something to shout about

plenty of other grounds are quiet regularly and manage fooball

do we HAVE to shout for the players to perform?

If so maybe we should be taking some of their wages or better still pay us turn up if were that important

Roeder out - half the squad at least out - overpaid pansies

I've only seen MOTD but Martins looked immense. Most of the recent criticism has been justified, other than the OTT stuff from the media wankers up here, but he's quality.

Milner getting two assists pisses me off somewhat - cheers Glenn, that's what you could have won in Alkmaar, you knobhead.

Erm, can someone please explain the situation to me regarding him? I was wondering about that all day today, actually, and if we lose him, I swear to God, it's going to be a motherfucking disgrace. It'd be a new low to the toon.

Guest donige

roeder showed a bit of sense, well done to him.

relatively lucky win against a terrible team, well done all.

yes i think the same as you to be honest roeder got it tactically right yesterday utilising the pace of martins and duff to reek havok within the slow defense and he also made sure the defense held a very high line and kept tight against very ineffective forwards taht didnt know what to do when the pressure was applied.

well done roeder

Guest Bramble OG

Great result, played well all over the pitch, thought even parker played well, some great blocks etc

Defence did well 2nd half lots of longballs well defended with the sun being a problem.

Dirty sheffield fans spitting down onto us for 90mins, 7-8 year old kid along from me got spat on about 5 times...was this happening all along our section!?

Can I just say that Sibs miss was not miss of the season, as was said on Radio Newcastle, yes it was a complete fk up, but Ronaldo has missed 2 sitters this season and both were better chances than Sibs. He had 2 men on trhe line and opted for power, just got under it.

Erm, can someone please explain the situation to me regarding him? I was wondering about that all day today, actually, and if we lose him, I swear to God, it's going to be a motherfucking disgrace. It'd be a new low to the toon.

I think people should wait to hear the truth before going livid and blaming Roeder. How do we know whats gone on behind closed doors? I reckon he's one of the lads with the bad attitude he mentioned, whose future is doubtful.

Parker was excellent until he came off, really put himself about which was absolutely necessary in games against teams like that. Duff looked dangerous for a change which was nice, although Carr at left back is dog shit. Gillespie was having a field day down that wing because Carr just totally backed off him every time he had it (2nd half in particular)

Guest the_guv_nor

Great result, played well all over the pitch, thought even parker played well, some great blocks etc

Defence did well 2nd half lots of longballs well defended with the sun being a problem.

Dirty sheffield fans spitting down onto us for 90mins, 7-8 year old kid along from me got spat on about 5 times...was this happening all along our section!?

Never noticed nothing like that where i was, did notice a few sheffield fans getting really wound up and they had to be restrained by police.

Seen some fat geordie bloke with no top on get arrested aswell.

Never noticed nothing like that where i was, did notice a few sheffield fans getting really wound up and they had to be restrained by police.

Seen some fat geordie bloke with no top on get arrested aswell.

Yeh I saw that, he was going mental at the police and his poor little kid was just trying to catch up behind!

I was right on the edge of the left side of our stand, no-one was spitting but their fans in the family stand were getting proper wound up and had to be restrained - probably the same ones your on about.