Eriksson For Toon

Guest Spark

Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard, Rooney, Owen, Terry, Ferdiand, A. Cole, J.Cole, G.Neville, Beckham - all players Sven had at his disposal yet the most notable and outstanding result of his 5 long years in charge was a 5-1 win against the worst German side in living memory. We were minutes away from not qualifying for the 2002 WC, we didn't have one shot on target when Brazil went down to 10 men in a WC QF. We were awful in the last WC, not much better in Euro 2004 and over in  Japanorea, we were just as bad, one decent performance against Argentina. In  friendlies were were a mess, we lost to NI away FFS, we drew with tat at home, we were often outclassed. The man is a fake whose whole career has been built on winning domestic cups and winning a title with Lazio, having spent more money than any team in the history of Serie A, a competition riddled by corruption BTW.

England were even worse in Euro 2000, and later losing AT HOME to "the worst German side in living memory"...under a manager who'd built a career after spending millions upon millions of pounds at a club who then went onto blow a 12 point gap, before walking away until the next club came in with big bucks (Fulham), yet you worship him.

Guest Knightrider

Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard, Rooney, Owen, Terry, Ferdiand, A. Cole, J.Cole, G.Neville, Beckham - all players Sven had at his disposal yet the most notable and outstanding result of his 5 long years in charge was a 5-1 win against the worst German side in living memory. We were minutes away from not qualifying for the 2002 WC, we didn't have one shot on target when Brazil went down to 10 men in a WC QF. We were awful in the last WC, not much better in Euro 2004 and over in  Japanorea, we were just as bad, one decent performance against Argentina. In  friendlies were were a mess, we lost to NI away FFS, we drew with tat at home, we were often outclassed. The man is a fake whose whole career has been built on winning domestic cups and winning a title with Lazio, having spent more money than any team in the history of Serie A, a competition riddled by corruption BTW.

England were even worse in Euro 2000, and later losing AT HOME to "the worst German side in living memory"...under a manager who'd built a career after spending millions upon millions of pounds at a club who then went onto blow a 12 point gap, before walking away until the next club came in with big bucks (Fulham), yet you worship him.

Fuck me, how low can you get to degrade a NUFC legend to try and trump up some manager who has fuck all to do with NUFC. If you fail to see why NUFC fans hold KK in the highest regard, more fool you. I won't bother trying to justify the obvious. I will ask you however to take a look at the old second division league table when he took over and our our finances, and then check the tables and finances when he left, may just give you that clue you seem to be missing....

Guest assyriantoon

Did you ever consider that these players may have been slighlty overrated? Did you ever consider that England was a lot worse before him and now after him? Perhaps Sven is the victim of his own management skills. I mean nobody expected anything up unitl the 5-1 against Germany and then suddenly we were world cup contenders? The same way teams don't become bad overnight, they dont become good. Sven did the best that he could have. I honestly think he would be a success and would be the best possible option for our club at the moment. Remember that Newcastle United DO spend money, whether it be money they have or not is a different question. I think Sven would be able to attract far better players then Glen Roeder and would therefore build a stronger team. Your argument that he did it with loads of money at Lazio is irrelevent because he would be given a good amount of money to spend here as well. I doubt he had much money at Gothenburg either.

OK he has a decent CV, I suggest you look beyond that though and look at Sven the manager who failed to motivate a group of highly talented players in key matches, whose tactical acumen is up there with Sounes and Roeder and whose England side played some of the most wretched uninspiring football I've ever seen. But hey, look at what he's won.

Thats hardly exclusive to Sven, England haven't looked that convincing for quite a while now tbh

True but given he was supposed to be this great manager, with top players, you'd think he'd take things on a level, if anything we regressed under him.

Much as I love KK, Sven took England forward following on from him. I can't see how you could possibly argue otherwise tbh.

Guest Knightrider

Did you ever consider that these players may have been slighlty overrated? Did you ever consider that England was a lot worse before him and now after him? Perhaps Sven is the victim of his own management skills. I mean nobody expected anything up unitl the 5-1 against Germany and then suddenly we were world cup contenders? The same way teams don't become bad overnight, they dont become good. Sven did the best that he could have. I honestly think he would be a success and would be the best possible option for our club at the moment. Remember that Newcastle United DO spend money, whether it be money they have or not is a different question. I think Sven would be able to attract far better players then Glen Roeder and would therefore build a stronger team. Your argument that he did it with loads of money at Lazio is irrelevent because he would be given a good amount of money to spend here as well. I doubt he had much money at Gothenburg either.

See our finances, losing 2m a month, massive debts etc. etc.

Guest assyriantoon

See our finances, losing 2m a month, massive debts etc. etc.

So you honestly think that we won't spend at the very least £15 million on players this summer?

Guest Knightrider

OK he has a decent CV, I suggest you look beyond that though and look at Sven the manager who failed to motivate a group of highly talented players in key matches, whose tactical acumen is up there with Sounes and Roeder and whose England side played some of the most wretched uninspiring football I've ever seen. But hey, look at what he's won.

Thats hardly exclusive to Sven, England haven't looked that convincing for quite a while now tbh

True but given he was supposed to be this great manager, with top players, you'd think he'd take things on a level, if anything we regressed under him.

Much as I love KK, Sven took England forward following on from him. I can't see how you could possibly argue otherwise tbh.

Could it be argued, that being in charge for 5 years, KK himself couldn't do the same? Sven was left a far better situation than the one KK was left, an ageing back-four and goalie, average midfield, lots of new youngsters needing to be blooded in. Anyway KK was a shite England manager and England were shite under him, but so too were England under Sven, a shite manager IMO. OK shite is probably harsh, but he's not a top manager, which is what we need. Otherwise stick with Roeder.

Keegan had inherited a team that had just brought through the likes of Owen, Beckham & Gerrard ...as well as Shearer, Scholes & Neville at their peaks. If the argument is that Sven should have done a lot better with England with his squad, then the same could be said of Keegan.

Sven's record in qualifying and against run of the mill sides was excellent, if he could bring that sortof record to newcastle, he'd be a success. he did poorly in the handful of big cup games that determine success at international level, but i think as a league manager he'd be very good.

england had some bad results in friendlies but then he devalued their worth to the extent that they became meaningless.

Guest Knightrider

Keegan had inherited a team that had just brought through the likes of Owen, Beckham & Gerrard ...as well as Shearer, Scholes & Neville at their peaks. If the argument is that Sven should have done a lot better with England with his squad, then the same could be said of Keegan.

I think there is enough in my comments to show that I thought KK could have done more, he did fail after all. Anyway those things are all debatable, what isn't in my opinion is that Sven would be a poor choice as manager of NUFC. If others think different, fair enough.

Could it be argued, that being in charge for 5 years, KK himself couldn't do the same? Sven was left a far better situation than the one KK was left, an ageing back-four and goalie, average midfield, lots of new youngsters needing to be blooded in. Anyway KK was a shite England manager and England were shite under him, but so too were England under Sven, a shite manager IMO. OK shite is probably harsh, but he's not a top manager, which is what we need. Otherwise stick with Roeder.

I think there are always mitigating factors, you could just as easily argue England would have done much better in 2002, 2004 and 2006 if it wasn't for the injuries to key players. I think Eriksson definitely took England forward though as Keegan was (by his own admission) out of his depth and looking unlikely to qualify for the World Cup. I'm not advocating Sven coming here btw (I'd rather have KK back ;) ). I just think Eriksson was the superior England manager. And fwiw I think I'd rather stick with Roeder too.

Guest Knightrider

Put it this way, I'd be a lot more confident of becoming a regular top 6 club with the chance of breaking into the top 4 in the long run under Sven, than what I am with Roeder, or would be with any other no mark English manager.

I wouldn't, I actually think he'd be a spectacular failure, similar to Dalglish. He's a poor motivatar and his grasp of tactics is clueless, I honestly think he'd be found wanting in domestic English football.

CoachHTT it's not long ago you wrote a long piece about Van Gaal being a far better tactician than Roeder, but instead of being minutes away from not qualifying for the 2002 WC yet pulling it off, Louis Van Gaal maanged to actually screw it up and not qualify with a team which would normally be considered outsiders for winning it.. I don't see how you can keep saying that because a manager hasn't set the world alight as an international manager, he may not be a very good club manager..

Guest Knightrider

I think there are always mitigating factors, you could just as easily argue England would have done much better in 2002, 2004 and 2006 if it wasn't for the injuries to key players. I think Eriksson definitely took England forward though as Keegan was (by his own admission) out of his depth and looking unlikely to qualify for the World Cup. I'm not advocating Sven coming here btw (I'd rather have KK back ;) ). I just think Eriksson was the superior England manager. And fwiw I think I'd rather stick with Roeder too.

I go along with all of that like. It was interesting to hear KK on that BBC interview saying how he struggled to motivate the England players, and he said as that was his biggest tool, it made life for him as manager doubly hard. Fair play to him for being honest and holding his hands up like that, it must have cut deep for him, given how passionate he was about his country and how confident he was in himself.

Guest Knightrider

CoachHTT it's not long ago you wrote a long piece about Van Gaal being a far better tactician than Roeder, but instead of being minutes away from not qualifying for the 2002 WC yet pulling it off, Louis Van Gaal maanged to actually screw it up and not qualify with a team which would normally be considered outsiders for winning it.. I don't see how you can keep saying that because a manager hasn't set the world alight as an international manager, he may not be a very good club manager..

I've never once said because a manager hasn't done well at international level he must be shite at domestic level. I would take Van Gaal at the drop of a hat regardless of what he did with Holland, but then he does possess tactical, motivational and other management skills, which Sven doesn't. That's all it boils down to for me, I don't even care about success.

Guest Invicta_Toon

The irony being he has been out of work for months, with PL clubs being taken over left right and centre, yet only NUFC would be daft enough to touch him with a barge pole, accepting the fact the story is bollocks

Guest Invicta_Toon

Sven's Englan team playing in competitive matches against top 10 sides:

2 wins

2 draws

2 losses

The 2 draws were both v. Portugal resulting in losses after no goals were managed in extra time

That is even in the most optimistic of eyes, average at best, from a man who was paid MILLIONS

Sven's Englan team playing in competitive matches against top 10 sides:

2 wins

2 draws

2 losses

The 2 draws were both v. Portugal resulting in losses after no goals were managed in extra time

That is even in the most optimistic of eyes, average at best, from a man who was paid MILLIONS

3 consecutive QF appearances with the current England side is looking like some feat at the moment, bearing in mind two of those campaigns ended in penalty shootouts too - Sven can hardly take the blame for Lampard & Co 'bottling it', can he?