Are we after a Director of Football and not a new manager?

KaKa

Could it be the Director of Football position we have courted Sven for?

I wouldn't be at all surprised...I think Freddy is happy having his 'adopted Geordie' Glenn Roeder as manager and rather than get rid of him, irregardless of how the team performs, I could see Freddy trying out a DoF to gove Roeder some assistance and support.

I recall Roeder saying that he thought the Director of Football position was an important and valuable one as management has become a very big job in football today.

Also, with our scouting network and what appears to be Glenn's lack of contacts in worldwide football, I wouldn't be surprised if a DoF is something we are looking at.

Could this have been the role we wnated Houllier to take up? Could this be what the club might want Sven for? Lastly, do you think Freddy is even having a pop at convincing Sir Bobby Robson to take up this task?

I think hiring someone legitimate and with a decent profile in the DoF position would be worthwhile and would be better than carrying on as we are at the moment.

What do you think? And if you are in favour of this who would you like to see in the DoF position?

Very interesting in theory, in fact I think he'd be a very good candidate - just two questions though

1) Do you think FFS would be prepared to pay what would be extraordinary wages for a DoF? I don't, personally

2) Would Roeder be happy to work with a superior manager at the club? I think Roeder is a very fragile character, as witnessed by the way he reacted after the AZ debacle. I think he'd be intimidated and would probably totally lose the plot...

It would be a way of getting around a straight sacking, but it would be difficult to do without publically undermining Roeder.  It's one of those things that sounds a good idea (the embarassment and inevitable disappointment of finding yet another manager) but it probably wouldn't work because the question "Whose in charge?" would never go away.

IIRC, a DoF is what clubs with "plans" go for, and therefore not needed at NUFC.

Ah, yes. Think you have just managed to undermine the entire premise of this thread there. Nice one. :lol:

IIRC, a DoF is what clubs with "plans" go for, and therefore not needed at NUFC.

Ah, yes. Think you have just managed to undermine the entire premise of this thread there. Nice one. :lol:

http://www.legendarytv.com/the_a-team/images/George_Peppard_hannibal_2.jpg

Not welcome here!

I don't see SGE as a DoF, not in a month of Sundays!

Someone will probably revive this post when SGE is unveiled by FFS as Newcastle's Sporting Director, a new position within the Club, interviews with Jim White etc  :lol:

I don't see SGE as a DoF, not in a month of Sundays!

Someone will probably revive this post when SGE is unveiled by FFS as Newcastle's Sporting Director, a new position within the Club, interviews with Jim White etc  :lol:

:smiley6600:

Guest Gemmill

Doesn't appointing a DoF invariably lead to tension between him and manager, and manager leaving?

We can but dream.

I thought Terry Mac was DOF? He's certainly qualified

In the sense that Jimmy Tarbuck is also qualified to be our DOF (although Jimmy doesn't drive Freddy's golf kart, which might count against him)