The nationals start to call Roeder to task on his excuses

BottledDog

Roeder's injury woes painful to hear

For a man who does not like to make excuses for his team, Glenn Roeder plays the injury card an awful lot.

The Newcastle manager was left understandably frustrated by his side's listless performance at Fratton Park - which all but ends their push for Europe - but choosing to trot out the old St James' Park injury curse at the home of Harry Redknapp, a manager who consistently maximises the scant resources available to him, was never going to win him much sympathy.

"The suggestion that we should have done better this season is rubbish," Roeder said. "We've done everything we can but there's other teams who haven't had injuries this year.

"Please don't write that as an excuse. I don't make excuses. But the statistics will tell you that many of our players have been out for long, long periods."

If that's not an excuse, what is? In any case, Roeder should be more worried about the players who are available than those who aren't. Even without Michael Owen - who will play in another friendly this week as he steps up his return from injury - Roeder was still able to call on the services of Obafemi Martins, a striker who cost £10 million.

Behind him, Roeder deployed £5 million winger Damien Duff, Turkey international Emre, and England players past and future in Nicky Butt and James Milner. Hardly scraping the barrel.

The one area where Newcastle were lightweight was in central defence, Steven Taylor and Craig Moore being no match for the invention of Kanu. In fact, he gave Moore such a torrid time that Roeder withdrew the Australian after 30 minutes, by which stage Benjani had already scored.

Matt Taylor extended that lead on 59 minutes with a left-footed strike from 25 yards before Emre pulled one back from the penalty spot after Dejan Stefanovic had upended Milner.

For Newcastle, Martins threatened sporadically but, in the main, he was well shackled by Portsmouth's rearguard of Stefanovic, Sol Campbell, Linvoy Primus and Lauren. "I think that must be the first time that combination has played together," said Redknapp, who could not resist the chance to rub salt into Roeder's wounds. "I know Newcastle spoke to Sol before us but they decided not to pursue it. I'm pleased they didn't take him."

How Newcastle fans must covet a solid, imposing centre-back like Campbell. Or Lauren, for that matter, who moved to Fratton Park for a fraction of the price Newcastle paid for Titus Bramble.

Redknapp, though, reserved his highest praise for goalkeeper David James, whose excellent save from Martins in the dying minutes denied Newcastle an unlikely point.

James' quest to break David Seaman's record of 141 Premiership clean sheets continues, but it is only a matter of time. "He'll go on for another five years. I've never seen anything like him," marvelled Redknapp, who gently mocked Watford's attempt last week to lure James to Vicarage Road next season. "Yeah, I'm sure he'd love to play in the Championship!"

source - The Telegraph

"The suggestion that we should have done better this season is rubbish," Roeder said. "We've done everything we can but there's other teams who haven't had injuries this year. Please don't write that as an excuse."

Yeah even people not connected with the club are finding his bollocks wearing thin.

Another fairly scathing review can also be found in the Independant - http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2452402.ece  :-[

"The suggestion that we should have done better this season is rubbish," Roeder said. "We've done everything we can but there's other teams who haven't had injuries this year.

"Please don't write that as an excuse. I don't make excuses. But the statistics will tell you that many of our players have been out for long, long periods."

He's an embarrassment. Souness killed this club, Glenn is slowly burrying it, and turning it into a national laughing stock.

Roeder said. "We've done everything we can but there's other teams who haven't had injuries this year.

"Please don't write that as an excuse. I don't make excuses.

The but makes it an excuse. He's showing all the signs of pressure/cracking.

Guest eyeball_tickler

"Steven Taylor and Craig Moore being no match for the invention of Kanu"

speaks volumes unfortunately.

"National laughing stock"?

Get over yourself man. Nobody else really gives a toss about NUFC.

You want a bet? The club has been turned into a joke. Other fans find it hilarious how bad Newcastle have gotten, and how high our fans keep their expectations.

If another clubs manager continuesly pissed out interviews like this, I would laugh my head off, cos it's getting ridiculous.

Roeder really seems to be cracking under the pressure more and more.

I think he knows he's lost the fans now, and he isn't strong willed enough to deal with it at all. We can only hope that it all ends in some sort of highly dramatic fashion, perhaps with Roeder getting himself some hostages and scaling St. James' Park to make one last desperate stand.

I think he knows he's lost the fans now, and he isn't strong willed enough to deal with it at all. We can only hope that it all ends in some sort of highly dramatic fashion, perhaps with Roeder getting himself some hostages and scaling St. James' Park to make one last desperate stand.

I'd like to see that actually. Sounds fun, like.

"National laughing stock"?

Get over yourself man. Nobody else really gives a toss about NUFC.

You want a bet? The club has been turned into a joke. Other fans find it hilarious how bad Newcastle have gotten, and how high our fans keep their expectations.

If another clubs manager continuesly pissed out interviews like this, I would laugh my head off, cos it's getting ridiculous.

It's nowhere near as bad now as it has been in the recent past though (think tea-ladies at post-match press conferences for example) - then we were a laughing stock. I think most "other fans" pity us more than laugh at us, if truth be told.

The upside (if there is one at all) to our being a ragged-arsed mid-table outfit at the moment, is that we've probably slipped down the scale in terms of media attention/importance.

"Please, Glenn, just put the gun down and let them go. Everything will be OK."

"Glenn Roeder doesn't believe in using guns, but I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it"

Guest optimistic nit

i generally think he's close to breaking down. he really seems to be cracking under the pressure, blaming injuries, poor performers, injuries, the ref, injuries, our expectations. at least he makes it clear that he doesn't blame injuries though.

Anyone who thinks we could have done better this season with only one real striker is an obvious dimwit, the media is full of them.

Course, if only we'd signed a left back we'd have been much better and up there challenging............

mackems.gif

The papers are turning on him just like they did Souness, Its only a matter of time till Roeder is gone.

Hope so. Never wanted him in the first place. I just hope there is enough financial support available to tempt another person to come in, any top manager would want reassurances that he will be supported in his efforts to build a successful team. That's the problem. A load of money has been squandered and we're left with a totally unbalanced squad.

Anyone who thinks we could have done better this season with only one real striker is an obvious dimwit, the media is full of them.

Course, if only we'd signed a left back we'd have been much better and up there challenging............

mackems.gif

Tbh mate, there's no doubt if our defence was considerably bolstered during the first or actually even during the second transfer window, we'd be in a better position than we are now. The fact that our defence can barely pass the ball out of our own half and that we've had to convert a midfielder into an extra defender says a lot.

The papers are turning on him just like they did Souness, Its only a matter of time till Roeder is gone.

Hope so. Never wanted him in the first place. I just hope there is enough financial support available to tempt another person to come in, any top manager would want reassurances that he will be supported in his efforts to build a successful team. That's the problem. A load of money has been squandered and we're left with a totally unbalanced squad.

.............. and obvious to everyone except for the ones that matter.  Says it all tbh.

Mirror as well: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=singing-same-old-toon%2D--%26method=full%26objectid=18910977%26siteid=89520-name_page.html

SINGING SAME OLD TOON!

A MANAGER SAYING: 'NO EXCUSES' THEN GIVING SOME .. ARROGANT, UNDERACHIEVING PLAYERS .. OH, AND LOYAL FANS TRAVELLING MILES TO SEE THEM LOSE

By Steve Rogers 16/04/2007

Portsmouth 2

Newcastle 1

UNDER-FIRE Glenn Roeder took a thinly-disguised swipe at Pompey chief Harry Redknapp after a Toon performance that puts his future in jeopardy.

Redknapp had branded Newcastle "underachievers" before this game - the Pompey boss still clearly angered by comments Roeder made when he took over from him at West Ham.

But Newcastle gaffer Roeder rounded on Redknapp and the rest of his critics despite a gutless display that infuriated travelling Toon fans.

"People who say we are underachieving do not know about our situation," said Roeder, who discovered on Friday that Sven Goran Eriksson is the latest name to be linked with his job.

"They want to have a go at Newcastle and say we should be doing better, but we have had a disastrous season in terms of injuries.

"That is not an excuse because I do not make excuses but I have not been able to have Michael Owen on the team-sheet all season.

"The suggestion we should have done better is a load of rubbish. People should look at the facts before they say things. These people have short memories, but I do not."

To be fair to Roeder, he received little help from his players at Fratton Park on Saturday.

With the exception of Obafemi Martins and Nolberto Solano, he was badly let down by a side of multi-millionaires who only started playing when Emre bagged a second-half penalty.

Such is the arrogance of the Newcastle team that after the game only Martins and local boys Peter Ramage and Steve Harper bothered to make the 10-yard walk from the team coach to sign autographs for the fans waiting patiently outside.

Roeder added: "I had some very, very harsh words to say at half-time. We have talented players, but two or three lack self-motivation.

"Some of them just do not want to run and I told then what I thought of them. If they do not want to work in every game they will have to move on because I am not going to have it.

"There were a few players on the bus who know my feelings about them."

"Please, Glenn, just put the gun down and let them go. Everything will be OK."

"Glenn Roeder doesn't believe in using guns, but I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it"

mackems.gif

I don't think roeder is a good manager. I don't think our defence is very good at all. But some of the stuff in this thread is so way over the top its unbelievable, comments like we are a laughing stock and the general consensus seems to be that we are the worst team in the league!

This is debatably one of our worst teams over the last 10-15 years with arguably one of the worst managers - and we are still in 11th place. If we are such a laughing stock then what are Boro, Blackburn Wigan? And lets take a look at Spurs - 48 goals conceded to our 43, and i wasn't laughing at newcastle on sunday because i was too busy laughing at tottenhams comedy defending against wigan which boumsong and bramble at their peak of shiteness couldn't of achieved.

Guest Darth Toon

So many articles like this appearing at the same time suggests to me that this is start if something orchestrated - be very interesting to see the angle Oliver takes today - if he turns on Glenn then we can be reasonably sure where its coming from.

next home game and things are not going right towards the end obviously ,a well orchestrated show of our dissapproval of roeder may tip the balance and make the fat man realise his season ticket renewels will drop and the fans do not support there manager who cannot motivate them even with a thin hope of intertoto

Roeder thinks that his injury crisis is worse than any one else has ever had.  But what about Man U.

They lost Rooney for some time, Smith for a year, Soljsar more out than in, Saha out for long periods, Scholes was out for months with his eye problem, Heinz for best part of a season and so on.  Do you hear Fergy moan? no lets get on with it and maybe win the league.

Roeder is crap, end of story, hopefully another couple of defeats will see him gone