Alan Oliver - Sidwell is apparently in the bag

Guest hindu times

The latest word on the grapevine is that Emerton is in the bag as well.

Better than what you've got.

Would he be a Bosman?

That was a gag wasn't it relating to Oliver's totally wrong prediction from a few years ago.

Aye, tbf to Oliver it was only what he likely heard straight from Shepherd.

Guest Toon83

Sidwell would be a great addition to the squad, he reminds me a bit of Rob Lee and Lee Bowyer (in his leeds days), box to box hard tackling midfielder, who creates alot of chances for Reading.

I've done work experience with Alan Oliver a few times and he is a sound bloke, and ive seen him with freddy shepherd doing interviews so not of what he says is lies, maybe misguided, but not out and out lies

Leave him be, to do his job!

Guest smoggeordie

Sidwell couldn't clean Rob Lee's boots though in all fairness

Sure he could if he tried like. Toothbrush usually does the job. ;)

Guest Toon83

I just said he reminded me of Rob Lee, you could never replace a legend like Rob, but it is the kind of player we have been missing since Bobby Lee left, put Sidwell in front of Butt and have Parker as backup in my opinion.

Sidwell wouldn't offer anything more than Parker offers really if he played in front of Butt. I'd be very disappointed if they were our first choice midfield partnership for next season. We're crying our for an attacking midfielder who scores goals. We've been missing that since Rob Lee and Gary Speeds peak really. Lets not get into a debate about who would be first choice defensive midfielder next season but i don't want to see Parker, Butt or Sidwell (if we sign him) in the same team together. Who you would have as your first choice is a different matter, but we will get nowhere playing them together.

6m for Joey Barton, that would sort out our midfield.

Sidwell

Barton

Milner                                    Duff

Other options such as Cahill or Nolan.

I don't think he would have that much affection for Bolton tbh, he's a scouser lad. If we put the money on the table bolton wouldn't have much choice. Cahill i hate and would be very hard to prise away from Scouse blue.

The only thing he would give us is more squad depth. He would add absolutely nothing to our team unless he was playing alongside another central midfielder who isn't already at the club. Parker and Butt are both better tbh. People see him as a good signing because he's available for free and he's been hyped up a bit, but if we sign him and we start next season with him, Parker, Butt and maybe Emre as our choice of cenre midfielders then reality will soon set in.

Guest Toon83

Sidwell

Barton

Milner                                     Duff

Barton is a good shout tbh, he would definately bring some attacking steal to the midfield but i cant see him leavign City tbh, seems fully committed to their cause, didnt he sign a new contract aswell? sure he did

Would love to see Cahill here aswell, one of the under-rated players in the prem in my opinion

I've seen too little of Sidwell to have any strong opinion about him but seeing what the Reading fans think about him and the fact that alot of other players have done good job in their first season in the Premiership dont you think that he might be one season wonder??

Glenn Roeder is the first United manager not to have had money thrown at him by Shepherd, and if the chairman truly believes that the former skipper is the right man for the job, even though some fans remain unconvinced, then he owes it to him to change all this in the next couple of months

Wrong,he had money to spend,he just didnt spend it

Not defending Shepard here but when you waste 5 millions on Duff and not sign any defenders thats just your mistake,its not Shepards mistake,its not anyones mistake..

Sidwell

Barton

That central midfield doesn't inspire me to go and create things. When we're going to be playing with two dwarfs up front next season, you need someone with the ability to pick a clever pass. Don't see Barton & Sidwell as those types.

Glenn Roeder is the first United manager not to have had money thrown at him by Shepherd, and if the chairman truly believes that the former skipper is the right man for the job, even though some fans remain unconvinced, then he owes it to him to change all this in the next couple of months

Wrong,he had money to spend,he just didnt spend it

I don't think you're right there. That fiasco where Milner was going to be sold but then got recalled when we failed to buy anyone else indicates strongly that any incoming transfers were going to have to be funded by sales. Another indication is the fact that we spent nothing in the January window.

Sidwell

Barton

Good god man, what makes you think Sidwell is a defensive midfielder??? :o And if you're going to drop Parker because of poor form then the same has to apply to Duff.

I've seen too little of Sidwell to have any strong opinion about him but seeing what the Reading fans think about him and the fact that alot of other players have done good job in their first season in the Premiership dont you think that he might be one season wonder??

No, he had 2 great seasons with Reading in the championship, he's the main man there and has been for a while. I'd also say he's more like Carrick than he is like Parker.

If hes going to be free, I don't see why not to get him in.

When we're slaughtering the top european teams in the champions league in the next couple of years, we'll need more bodies to back us up......you know, stick some subs on whilst beating real madrid by 4-0 on 70 minutes

I would be more than happy to see Sidwell here and on a free just makes its all the better, I do not see it happening though. There are much bigger clubs than us after him, been linked with MU has'nt he?