Alan Oliver - Sidwell is apparently in the bag

Guest hindu times

Someone on toontastic said they went to a talk in with Beardsley last night and he said deals for Sidwell and Distin are as good as done.

It was Happyface, I'm pretty sure he posts on here too.

Would be very happy with Distin and Sidwell, people slate Distin but I think he would be as close to perfect we could realistically sign as a partner for Taylor. Quite organised and commanding from what I have seen/heard. Chuck in a quality left back and someone like Viduka and we are starting to lot a whole lot better for quite a small outlay (compared to the last few years!).

Sidwell and Distin sound very promising, if true, but if we sign a striker this summer, I'll be very surprised.

People are going on about buying one, when we've been missing Shola and Owen for practically every game this season and when there are absolutely massively under-staffed areas all over the park. With Sibierski being kept on for another year (apparently) and with Carroll coming through, we're actually well-stocked in the striking department (5 out and out, plus Dyer). Obviously things change if we sell a forward and I'm not saying Viduka wouldn't improve us, but it's an unlikely buy when we will probably need at least two centre-halves, two midfielders and a left-back (and that's being conservative!) People aren't happy with Shola as a "third striker", I understand that, and Owen could quite easily get crocked again for a massive amount of time, but from Glenn's perspective I'm not sure we'll be seeing a signing on that front. I'd be delighted with Viduka, though, and I'm quite prepared for some "I told you so" if it does happen. Can anyone see him coming here to sit on the bench if Owen/Martins are fit?

This could go in that other thread where NE5 is having a pop at people for wanting a left-back ahead of a striker, but I cannae be arsed with getting involved over there for obvious reasons. :lol:

Won't be long before Martin Jol's on here telling us how super-Director Damien Comolli's been watching him for about 4 years since his St-Etienne days and has always been an admirer.

Don't hold your breath before I post it though! :lol:

Sidwell and Distin sound very promising, if true, but if we sign a striker this summer, I'll be very surprised.

People are going on about buying one, when we've been missing Shola and Owen for practically every game this season and when there are absolutely massively under-staffed areas all over the park. With Sibierski being kept on for another year (apparently) and with Carroll coming through, we're actually well-stocked in the striking department (5 out and out, plus Dyer). Obviously things change if we sell a forward and I'm not saying Viduka wouldn't improve us, but it's an unlikely buy when we will probably need at least two centre-halves, two midfielders and a left-back (and that's being conservative!) People aren't happy with Shola as a "third striker", I understand that, and Owen could quite easily get crocked again for a massive amount of time, but from Glenn's perspective I'm not sure we'll be seeing a signing on that front. I'd be delighted with Viduka, though, and I'm quite prepared for some "I told you so" if it does happen. Can anyone see him coming here to sit on the bench if Owen/Martins are fit?

This could go in that other thread where NE5 is having a pop at people for wanting a left-back ahead of a striker, but I cannae be arsed with getting involved over there for obvious reasons. :lol:

This is why it would be ideal if we could get Owen fit and running from Reading onwards.

He'll be lacking sharpness, but we need to see if he can help the team by linking with the wingers and Martins in such a way that he can push the opposition defence back, keep possession, and even get in goalscoring chances. I dont expect he'll immediately return as a megafit scoring machine, but there are going to be little signs that show that having him in the team is going to reduce the number of times the ball comes straight back at us.

If there are no signs of this by August 20th, we should sign a striker (mess around with this striker a bit, making it look like we intend to go through with it, then cancel at the last minute if Owen and Martins seem to be working).

With Sib signing a new deal and with Owen, Martins and Shola will that be Glenns four strikers along with Carroll as back up. Sell Luque and not bother replacing him is what I reckon will happen.

Would love Sidwell but I am not Distins biggest fan, better than what we have I suppose though.

I would be over the moon with Distin and Sidwell, not just because i believe them to be decent players but also because of the fact it would  be a bit of clever and wise movement in the transfer market. Something we have been lacking for some time. It's also because of this that i don't see it happening.

P.S If Bramble signed for spurs i would jizz.

Guest Jonny4Toon

I hope Sidwell joins. This would be a great buy and a win win situation - He cost us nothing! so it doesnt matter if hes crap!!!

NUFC06, when you say 'someone like' Viduka, did you have someone else in mind? Honest question, just wondered.

Nope,when i said someone like Viduka i meant this type of player-big,strong,with good physics who can hold the ball and can play good in the air

Someone on toontastic said they went to a talk in with Beardsley last night and he said deals for Sidwell and Distin are as good as done.

It was Happyface, I'm pretty sure he posts on here too.

Glad to hera this.

Only if we could make it a hattrick by signing Tal Ben Haim too.

Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder has admitted his liking for Reading ace Steve Sidwell.

The Magpies are widely understood to be leading the chase for the 24-year-old, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

Chelsea, Everton, Middlesbrough, Aston Villa and even former club Arsenal have been credited with an interest in Sidwell - who has had an outstanding season with The Royals.

Sidwell insists he is yet to decide whether to even quit Reading, but the closer the season's end comes without him having signed a new deal - the likelier and likelier it becomes that the midfielder will move on a Bosman transfer.

Now Roeder has seemingly confirmed that Newcastle will be in the running for his signature.

"I can understand why a lot of clubs are being linked with Steve Sidwell because he is a good player and he has had an outstanding season," admitted Roeder to the Evening Chronicle.