Alan Oliver - Sidwell is apparently in the bag

Guest hindu times

I would be more than happy to see Sidwell here and on a free just makes its all the better, I do not see it happening though. There are much bigger clubs than us after him, been linked with MU has'nt he?

If Skirge thinks it's a good idea then I'm all against it.  ;D

Sidwell is a decent player but massively overhyped. Since he's on a free he'd be a good signing for most clubs outside the top 4. If he wasn't out of contract I don't think there would be any big clamour for him.

Sidwell is a decent player but massively overhyped. Since he's on a free he'd be a good signing for most clubs outside the top 4. If he wasn't out of contract I don't think there would be any big clamour for him.

I agree. It's the sort of common sense squad-strengthening move we could do with though, I reckon. At least it would mean Matty didn't get near the first team again....

I would be more than happy to see Sidwell here and on a free just makes its all the better, I do not see it happening though. There are much bigger clubs than us after him, been linked with MU has'nt he?

Chelsea and Real Madrid were apparently after Gooch before we got him...

Guest Jonny4Toon

I hope hes right!! Given, Solano, new, Taylor, new, MILNER (key man), parker, sidwell, n'zogbia/duff, owen, martins!!!

The only shock there, is how long it has taken Sidwell to put the record straight!!

But it does seem as though every localpaper has their own Anal Oliver, he does mention us or that he is leaving Reading just he will decide at the end of the season..

He might be good player but  we need more creativity in midfield and i doubt he can produce that for us.

Also if we sign him next season we wil have Butt,Parker,Sidwell which i dont think would be too good for us because they are too similar players.Also i think that this talks about how overrated he is might be true

just propaganda ahead of our meeting next monday, they dont want the fans watching a player that they think will be playing for the opposition a month or so later.

Anal never states he has signed with us, just that if he is leaving its newcastle he wants to join.

As Dave has said, it's more like "I haven't joined anyone yet" - not a thing about "not joining Newcastle".

Nope, I made no comment on their absurd headline, just that his signature appears to be far from 'in the bag' as AO suggests is'all.

I was aiming that at the article, not at your good self.

I think we will find out on Monday night, if Steve Coppel decides to not start Sidwell like he has threatened then it would seem a deal has already been done.

Personality i find it bizarre if this story is true we are going for another Central Midfielder.

I think Sidwell has been a key part in Reading over achieving season and is a good player its just another Central Midfielder is not what we need this Summer, Full backs and Centre backs must be the priority for Roeder this Summer.

I think we will find out on Monday night, if Steve Coppel decides to not start Sidwell like he has threatened then it would seem a deal has already been done.

Personality i find it bizarre if this story is true we are going for another Central Midfielder.

I think Sidwell has been a key part in Reading over achieving season and is a good player its just another Central Midfielder is not what we need this Summer, Full backs and Centre backs must be the priority for Roeder this Summer.

It's good business, I'd say, especially if we're keeping Parker, Butt and Emre. There should ideally be two players challenging for every position and I'm not convinced that Dyer is a good enough option in the centre to be considered a genuine contender there when everyone's fit. With N'Zogbia potentially leaving as well, the midfield options will be reduced further and so Sidwell seems a sensible buy. If we only buy him and if N'Zogbia goes, then I couldn't help but feel worried because that would equate to us becoming weaker numbers-wise, rather than stronger in regards to cover for the positions.

I suppose it all depends on how Roeder wants us to play next season and how he envisages the formation panning out, but I don't see the harm in bringing in a decent player on a free if he strengthens the squad: which Sidwell will undoubtedly do. The problems come when there are players who aren't getting picked because of the size of the squad, not when they're simply injured. Glenn hasn't really had to deal with that situation yet, which does not bode well.

It's good business, I'd say, especially if we're keeping Parker, Butt and Emre. There should ideally be two players challenging for every position and I'm not convinced that Dyer is a good enough option in the centre to be considered a genuine contender there when everyone's fit. With N'Zogbia potentially leaving as well, the midfield options will be reduced further and so Sidwell seems a sensible buy. If we only buy him and if N'Zogbia goes, then I couldn't help but feel worried because that would equate to us becoming weaker numbers-wise, rather than stronger in regards to cover for the positions.

I suppose it all depends on how Roeder wants us to play next season and how he envisages the formation panning out, but I don't see the harm in bringing in a decent player on a free if he strengthens the squad: which Sidwell will undoubtedly do. The problems come when there are players who aren't getting picked because of the size of the squad, not when they're simply injured. Glenn hasn't really had to deal with that situation yet, which does not bode well.

Interesting.

I'd agree its good business as he is free and been a consistent and big performer this season however with Michael Owen back next season to partner Obafemi Martins i think Dyer role will change next season i think Roeder will use him as a attacking central midfielder next to most likely a ball winner in Parker or a holder in Nicky Butt, however like you said adding Sidwell to the equation would be good business and squad wise.

The Journal now showing running with the Sidwell denial... I love the way they just run with a story from another paper, I wonder what Anal will write in the Ronnie Gill tonight about all of this..

idwell denies move rumours

Apr 25 2007

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

Newcastle United transfer target Steve Sidwell has denied reports he has already agreed to move to St James's Park in the summer.

Sidwell has been linked with a move to United for much of the season after refusing to sign a new contract, but the Reading midfielder - who will be able to move on a Bosman-style free transfer in June - is adamant he has not made a decision about his future.

The 24-year-old has won many admirers during his first season in the Premiership and will get the chance on Monday night, when the Royals host United, to show exactly what he can offer to the Newcastle midfield if they do persuade him to leave in the summer.

But the former Arsenal trainee has plenty of other options, with Middlesbrough, Aston Villa, Manchester City and Everton also interested in securing his services, as well as a new contract offer from Reading.

Royals manager Steve Coppell has suggested that he is resigned to losing the midfielder at the end of the season, but with this season's surprise package within touching distance of Uefa Cup qualification - something Newcastle will almost certainly not be able to offer him - Sidwell is keeping his options open at this stage.

He said: "I had a long chat with the gaffer and I said it was fine with me whatever he decided. He was on Sky Sports last week and he seems resigned to the fact I'm leaving this summer. But I'm keeping my options open.

"I know the season is beginning to wind down now, but I am not going to make any rash decisions. It is an important part of my career and I will speak to the people closest to me about what is the right decision. But I will wait until the very end of the season before I make a final one."

Another player keeping his options open until the summer is Newcastle's Titus Bramble. The powerful centre-back returned to the side in the 0-0 draw against Chelsea at the weekend for the first time since the Uefa Cup exit against AZ Alkmaar.

Roeder has suggested a new contract could still be offered to the 25-year-old, who was singled out for praise by Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho after Sunday's game, but The Journal understands the former England Under-21 international is resigned to the fact he will be playing elsewhere next season.

Several clubs have expressed an interest in signing him on a free transfer, but Bramble has refused to make a decision until the end of the campaign as he attempts to ensure his Newcastle career ends on a high note.

Tottenham Hotspur are the latest Premiership side to be linked with an interest of signing him on a Bosman. Bramble would link up there with close friend and former Magpies team-mate Jermaine Jenas.

But Portsmouth are the favourites to land the centre-back as manager Harry Redknapp has been a long-term admirer and is keen to pair Bramble with Sol Campbell.

Bramble has also been linked with a move to Fulham, but their interest has cooled since the sacking of manager Chris Coleman earlier this month.

Meanwhile, Roeder has once again declared his determination to sign the players with the right character, as well as ability, in the summer.

United's manager is proud of the fact his side have not lost at home to Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Manchester United in the league this season, but he is also irritated by the fact they have too often failed to replicate those performances against the weaker sides in the division.

He said: "We have proved we can box with the best and now we have to find the right players with the right character to get the results against teams who are not top of the league."

The Journal now showing running with the Sidwell denial... I love the way they just run with a story from another paper, I wonder what Anal will write in the Ronnie Gill tonight about all of this..

Apr 25 2007

Newcastle United transfer target Steve Sidwell has denied reports he has already agreed to move to St James's Park in the summer.

Sidwell has been linked with a move to United for much of the season after refusing to sign a new contract, but the Reading midfielder - who will be able to move on a Bosman-style free transfer in June - is adamant he has not made a decision about his future.

The 24-year-old has won many admirers during his first season in the Premiership and will get the chance on Monday night, when the Royals host United, to show exactly what he can offer to the Newcastle midfield if they do persuade him to leave in the summer.

But the former Arsenal trainee has plenty of other options, with Middlesbrough, Aston Villa, Manchester City and Everton also interested in securing his services, as well as a new contract offer from Reading.

Royals manager Steve Coppell has suggested that he is resigned to losing the midfielder at the end of the season, but with this season's surprise package within touching distance of Uefa Cup qualification - something Newcastle will almost certainly not be able to offer him - Sidwell is keeping his options open at this stage.

He said: "I had a long chat with the gaffer and I said it was fine with me whatever he decided. He was on Sky Sports last week and he seems resigned to the fact I'm leaving this summer. But I'm keeping my options open.

"I know the season is beginning to wind down now, but I am not going to make any rash decisions. It is an important part of my career and I will speak to the people closest to me about what is the right decision. But I will wait until the very end of the season before I make a final one."

Another player keeping his options open until the summer is Newcastle's Titus Bramble. The powerful centre-back returned to the side in the 0-0 draw against Chelsea at the weekend for the first time since the Uefa Cup exit against AZ Alkmaar.

Roeder has suggested a new contract could still be offered to the 25-year-old, who was singled out for praise by Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho after Sunday's game, but The Journal understands the former England Under-21 international is resigned to the fact he will be playing elsewhere next season.

Several clubs have expressed an interest in signing him on a free transfer, but Bramble has refused to make a decision until the end of the campaign as he attempts to ensure his Newcastle career ends on a high note.

Tottenham Hotspur are the latest Premiership side to be linked with an interest of signing him on a Bosman. Bramble would link up there with close friend and former Magpies team-mate Jermaine Jenas.

But Portsmouth are the favourites to land the centre-back as manager Harry Redknapp has been a long-term admirer and is keen to pair Bramble with Sol Campbell.

Bramble has also been linked with a move to Fulham, but their interest has cooled since the sacking of manager Chris Coleman earlier this month.

Meanwhile, Roeder has once again declared his determination to sign the players with the right character, as well as ability, in the summer.

United's manager is proud of the fact his side have not lost at home to Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Manchester United in the league this season, but he is also irritated by the fact they have too often failed to replicate those performances against the weaker sides in the division.

He said: "We have proved we can box with the best and now we have to find the right players with the right character to get the results against teams who are not top of the league."

:o

Apr 25 2007

:o

naturally........

i've a 3yr old daughter spuds are interested in signing aswell.

why don't the papers just print "spurs interested in signing everyone" and save the newsprint.