Oba interview in the day's Sun

Paully

I take it he was off his tits when he conducted it?  :D

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...190225,00.html

OBAFEMI MARTINS insists Newcastle will be shock challengers for the title next season — once all their strikers are fit.

The Nigerian star reckons Toon will be unstoppable when crocked hitmen Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi both return.

Newcastle have languished in the bottom half all year, relying on 17-goal top scorer Martins to do all the donkey work up front on his own.

But Owen is close to a comeback following his year-long recovery from a knee injury while Ameobi could start for the first time since November at Reading on Monday night.

Martins, 22, said: “Where can Newcastle aim to be next season? Fight for the league title, play for a Champions League place and also target the FA and Carling Cups.

“We have the players, manager and fans to make it happen and I really think we can do it. Losing Owen and Shola was a terrible setback.

"But their return couldn’t come at a better time. I think we’ll form a great team.

“Shola was doing well before he went for surgery. I was getting used to playing with him but he will bring a lot to the squad.

“More interesting for me is the return of Michael Owen. I really would love to play alongside him as soon as possible.”

Former Inter star Martins, who sealed a £10million move to St James’ Park last summer, insists he is is not satisfied with his form and vowed to give more.

He said: “It’s been very, very frustrating for me but what else can I do?

"I was left with Antoine Sibierski to carry the scoring responsibilities. It was so massive but we gave it our all.

“I still feel like we needed to do more up front — the fans deserve more than the number of goals we’ve scored so far.

“We are in a disappointing mid-table position and need to fight hard to rescue what we can from the remaining games.”

Eight-goal strike partner Sibierski is ready to sign a new one-year deal with Newcastle.

The Frenchman, 32, has impressed boss Glenn Roeder since arriving on a free transfer from Manchester City last summer.

He said: “We have agreed a new contract. I am confident I’m going to sign in the next week or so for another year.”

I take it he was off his tits when he conducted it?   :D

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...190225,00.html

OBAFEMI MARTINS insists Newcastle will be shock challengers for the title next season — once all their strikers are fit.

The Nigerian star reckons Toon will be unstoppable when crocked hitmen Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi both return.

Newcastle have languished in the bottom half all year, relying on 17-goal top scorer Martins to do all the donkey work up front on his own.

But Owen is close to a comeback following his year-long recovery from a knee injury while Ameobi could start for the first time since November at Reading on Monday night.

Martins, 22, said: “Where can Newcastle aim to be next season? Fight for the league title, play for a Champions League place and also target the FA and Carling Cups.

“We have the players, manager and fans to make it happen and I really think we can do it. Losing Owen and Shola was a terrible setback.

"But their return couldn’t come at a better time. I think we’ll form a great team.

“Shola was doing well before he went for surgery. I was getting used to playing with him but he will bring a lot to the squad.

“More interesting for me is the return of Michael Owen. I really would love to play alongside him as soon as possible.”

Former Inter star Martins, who sealed a £10million move to St James’ Park last summer, insists he is is not satisfied with his form and vowed to give more.

He said: “It’s been very, very frustrating for me but what else can I do?

"I was left with Antoine Sibierski to carry the scoring responsibilities. It was so massive but we gave it our all.

“I still feel like we needed to do more up front — the fans deserve more than the number of goals we’ve scored so far.

“We are in a disappointing mid-table position and need to fight hard to rescue what we can from the remaining games.”

Eight-goal strike partner Sibierski is ready to sign a new one-year deal with Newcastle.

The Frenchman, 32, has impressed boss Glenn Roeder since arriving on a free transfer from Manchester City last summer.

He said: “We have agreed a new contract. I am confident I’m going to sign in the next week or so for another year.”

Oba is living on some other planet

Guest njkman

to be honost, we could do with more players in this team with his attitude, he wants to win stuff, so let him try, im sure if all our players had this attitude then we would be doing a lot better in the league.

Guest Ridzuan

There is nothing wrong with him trying to be over ambitious but you never know what could happen next season.If Glenn could get a few quality players and manage them properly,which is going to be a difficult task for him,we could probably do much better next season.

he said similar when he first signed. Least he showing a bit of ambition i suppose. To be honest bring in 2/3 defenders, we have just as good a squad as anyone outside the top 4, so we must aim to be up there.

Unfortunately our manager is relegation material

he said similar when he first signed. Least he showing a bit of ambition i suppose. To be honest bring in 2/3 defenders, we have just as good a squad as anyone outside the top 4, so we must aim to be up there.

Unfortunately our manager is relegation material

well, ill decide that next season. If when he's had more than enough time to plan for next season (didnt last) and he faile's to make the right signings and makes a poor start to the season, then yes, ill agree and say its time to go. Until then, im not going to moan about how pap he is. He's made mistakes and does frustrate you at times. But lets get the summer out the way, give him 12-15 games next year and see how it goes.

The way he's talking, it's like the only question the manager has to sort out is which striker to play with him. On Oba's current form, Owen and Shola might well be the best combination.

The bit that the return of Owen is 'more interesting' for him than the return of Shola isn't very sensitive, and if I was Shola I'd use that as a bit of inspiration. Martins needs to grow a brain.

Guest Immsy7

The way he's talking, it's like the only question the manager has to sort out is which striker to play with him. On Oba's current form, Owen and Shola might well be the best combination.

The bit that the return of Owen is 'more interesting' for him than the return of Shola isn't very sensitive, and if I was Shola I'd use that as a bit of inspiration. Martins needs to grow a brain.

Its true though. TBH whou would you rather play alongside? Owen or Shola. I think Shola is a good player and doesn't deserve the stick he gets but it doesn't take a genius to know he is not as good as Owen really.

Guest Morph

Its true though. TBH whou would you rather play alongside? Owen or Shola. I think Shola is a good player and doesn't deserve the stick he gets but it doesn't take a genius to know he is not as good as Owen really.

Thing is, if we decided to sell Shola I bet you there will be loads of Premiership clubs waiting with offers.  He may not be prolific, but he'll try and he'll hassel defenders.  Good player to have in your squad.

Not getting carried away but if we start beating the lower table teams, stay injury free and instill some belief in certain players top 4 or 6 is by no means impossible.

That is based more on the limitations of some of the clubs who have been challenging this season rather than thinking we will be become great again soon.

Personally I'd bin any player who does NOT believe we can improve significantly on this season !

Or, on a more pessimistic note, maybe he is setting things up for a transfer request next January, when our season hasn't lived up to his expectations?

Well yeah, but then you could change anything anyone has ever said into a negative if you are being that pessimistic "phew the doctor told me I am all clear of cancer, probably means I have aids".

What I was annoyed about wasn't so much the comparison between Shola and Owen, as Martins making this assumption in public that Shola, and not him, would be third choice.

With Owen and Shola coming back, he should be thinking that he needs to improve if he's going to keep his place.

What I was annoyed about wasn't so much the comparison between Shola and Owen, as Martins making this assumption in public that Shola, and not him, would be third choice.

With Owen and Shola coming back, he should be thinking that he needs to improve if he's going to keep his place.

Oba suggesting that we'll challenge for the title is similiar to you suggesting that Shola should start ahead of Oba. Either both of you are WUMs or are off your tits