OWEN STARTS - IT'S OFFICIAL

stozo

Thinking more about the immediate, here and now, there's not a cat in hell's chance we'll win the game if him and Shola start upfront. Shola out for the season, Owen not started a game for 18 months... they're gonna be slightly rusty i reckon.

He'll be on the bench

Ameobi will probably start with Martins

Agree with this.

It'd be funny as f*** if Martins and Ameobi were s***-hot together. :laugh2:

it'll actually be hilarious

Daniel Cordone and Silvio Maric had a better partnership

To dare to move away from Owen,

I would like to see Roeder put Edgar as peft back for the last 3 games. Carr may have done well there recently but its time to look forward and at Carr's age, he isnt it. Lets hope he thinks about the future and gives him a coupel of games to get his confidence up for next year

To dare to move away from Owen,

I would like to see Roeder put Edgar as peft back for the last 3 games. Carr may have done well there recently but its time to look forward and at Carr's age, he isnt it. Lets hope he thinks about the future and gives him a coupel of games to get his confidence up for next year

can't disagree, Edgar showed good ability and commitment. Carr's a massively negative influence on the team

The Independent

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2496655.ece

Owen's return offers Newcastle silver lining to grey season

By Damian Spellman

Published: 30 April 2007

It may come back to haunt him, but Glenn Roeder has promised to restore Newcastle United to the upper reaches of the Premiership table next season.

The Magpies head for Reading today knowing that even victory in each of their three remaining fixtures would realistically at best secure a 10th-place finish, barring a goal rush to take them above Steve Coppell's side into ninth place. That is not good enough for a club which, in three seasons under Sir Bobby Robson, achieved top-five status and reached the second stage of the Champions League and a Uefa Cup semi-final.

As Roeder prepares to welcome Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi back from long-term injury, he believes better times are ahead.

"We know the season has been tough, but I also know people have short memories," he said. "Alex Ferguson is complaining of having seven injured at the moment and being left with 12; I had 12 injured for six months and was left with 12 also - and three or four of those were kids from the academy. I would remind you of that rather than just say we have not picked up enough points this year.

"I know we have not, but there are very, very strong reasons why we have not and all things being equal, next year without that horrific injury list, we have to be positive. With Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi working with Oba Martins and me strengthening in the right area of the team, we will be where we ought to be next year."

Roeder's confidence is based in part on the fact that his side, while at times struggling against less vaunted sides, has fared well against the big guns, at St James' Park at least.

"We have to be more consistent when we play teams in the wrong half of the table, and we have to take points from teams like that," Roeder said. "Newcastle just have to do that and that is what I am aiming to do."

Elsewhere, the former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson believes England fans feel little animosity towards him despite his unsuccessful tenure. He said: "I've never heard a bad word during six years of travelling around the country. Not even after the defeat to Portugal. Everyone has always been polite to me."

He added: "If I land at Heathrow today people still want my autograph, which is nice, and a lot of them say, 'Sven, you did a good job'."

This strikes me as somewhat daft. Why risk a crucially important player like him in a pointless game at the arse end of the season, rather than give him the entire summer and pre-season to prepare?

And on the sods law side of things, you just know something bad is going to happen.

Maybe it's not that POINTLESS of a game after all...This could be Roeder's last chance to have Owen on his starting XI before he gets the sack by the fat one...

Imagine if we lose this game...Will that make it EASIER for Fred to get shot of Roeder or what !!!

Why are some of you dropping Martins? neither Owen or Shola will play 90 minutes so its best to play one with Martins for a half then sub him for the other in the 2nd half.

or we could stay off the drugs altogther and play martins from the start and NOT take him off at all but use the two returning, unfit strikers as substitutes for each other

Why are some of you dropping Martins? neither Owen or Shola will play 90 minutes so its best to play one with Martins for a half then sub him for the other in the 2nd half.

or we could stay off the drugs altogther and play martins from the start and NOT take him off at all but use the two returning, unfit strikers as substitutes for each other

I think thats what he means.....

Just had a quick look at billy hills.....1st goalscorer odds.

Owen - 6/1

Martins - 7/1

Ameobi - 15/2

Not exactly a cast-iron guarantee they'll play, but bookies are usually reasonably ITK.

Not really.

Loads of times I've seen Luque quite high up on the odds for frist scorer when he wasn't even named on the bench.

See your point but I think theres a slight difference in the players involved, if Owen is fit to play he'll play, he's a starter, if Luque is named in the squad he's on the bench at best.

edit - however if neither Owen or Ameobi started or on the bench it wouldn't really surprise me.

I'm so excited about this game. It'll be great to see Owen back, but I don't imagine he'll make much of an impact. This is all part of his comeback for next season. Of course there's going to be a lot of hype around his return, but I don't think we can expect too much right away.

I would start Martins and Ameobi (who has played reserve matches, so will probably be more match fit) and bring Owen on at 60 minutes.

My personal opinion is that Owen and Martins will start and then after about an hour Shola will come on for Owen.

Their is nothing more I would like to see tonight than a goal for Owen on his return, and a Newcastle win of course.

am i right in thinking we get paid contributions to owens wages by the fa and our own insurers until he makes a comback for the first team?

not that i'm cynical, but if that is the case then i wonder how heavy the pressure is on roedebot to not play him at all?  given that the season is f!cked....

I think its a bit risky to start Owen, but I think it could scare the shite out of the Reading players if the lineup read Owen - Martins. I'm starting to get quite excited now.

I wonder what reception he'll get from the Reading fans.