The Glenn Roeder Appreciation Thread!!!

Guest Christian Hayne

he did fuck all of his own at the academy, for christs sake. p

shit manager, liar and honourless man. thats his legacy.

bearing in mind what a charlatan he was as a manager, i think he was lucky last season. we were desperate, players we desperate. any clown would prob have kept us up.

I love that question.  Do you want to know something, Yes, I would turn it down.  I've turned down many a job in the past that I thought I was well out of my depth in.  I wouldn't take the NUFC job, if I was offered it.  Simple as that.  I don't suffer from delusion, I can accept who I am, and how good I am at anything I do. 

So, I'm sorry Jonny, it's not a fact. :nope:

Well you're a honourable, moral man. Something that football managers aren't. If football managers cared about anything other than money, they would turn down jobs they thought they wouldn't be good at.

He would have been insane to turn down the job; regardless of success the Newcastle manager's job is massive and for someone who was previously at West Ham, Gillingham and Watford, it's a dream come true.

Blame him for being shit, blame him for terrible tactics and crap lineups, blame him for being delusional saying in the press he thought he'd be a success, blame him for not buying decent players, blame him for results, blame him for not resigning sooner, but he can't be blamed for accepting the job.

But, he can. As he said at the very beginning that he didn't want the job, that we needed a "great manager". Then he takes it..

To be fair though, my post wasn't about blaming him for accepting, it's that we're expected to fucking thank him and appreciating him. I mean, Jesus Christ. :lol:

But, he can.  As he said at the very beginning that he didn't want the job, that we needed a "great manager".  Then he takes it..

To be fair though, my post wasn't about blaming him for accepting, it's that we're expected to f****** thank him.  I mean, Jesus Christ. :lol:

We've got nothing to thank him for really, except the end of last season and rounding it off the way we did, finishing 7th in a season we considered a 'failure'.

It's nice to appreciate the man though, well for me it is anyways because I don't 'hate' him in the way I dislike Souness. He genuinely tried his best, it was just miles below what was good enough.

Guest eltsacwen

The only thin to thank him for is the 7. place. But I don't think our good run was because of Roeder. It was moore because Souness was gone and the Shearer-effect. So in reality there is noting to appreciate. There are very few positives about Glenn Roeder. And I don't think he deserves an Appreciation Thread!

If Roeder didnt take the job last summer after that great run i would still have had great respect for him.

I think all the people on this forum will think the same

Unfortunately he took it...

He also took a £1mill pay-off when we went

This am not getting.

Why did we pay up his remainder of his contract if he resigned?

Surely that means he was sacked?

This am not getting.

Nope, it means we said we'll give you £1m now if you resign. If we have to sack you later, we'll take you to court and fight to not have to pay you anything.

This am not getting.

Nope, it means we said we'll give you £1m now if you resign. If we have to sack you later, we'll take you to court and fight to not have to pay you anything.

So why didn't we do that then?

We did it with Bobby.  :rolleyes:

This am not getting.

So why didn't we do that then?

We did it with Bobby.  :rolleyes:

Cause Roeder's played his role, and played it well...

Guest newcastle4life

Would have liked him to suceed did well as caretaker and in the academy but bit out of depth taking the job long term something needed done.

Guest Milburnthedog

It was simply too big for him. He tried the best he could, unfortunately, it wasn't good enough.

His legacy will be making Dyer Captain.

He said in the Sky interview on Friday he wouldn't walk away from the job.  Two days later there's a hastily convened Board Meeting, Roeder is told to attend and it's then announced Roeder has resigned.  Do you honestly believe Roeder did resign?  I don't for a second.

Probably was told that if it was announced he resigned and he signs a confidentiality clause, he will get the pay off he was entitled to in full without any arguments.  If Roeder did do that, he wouldn't have been the first to have agreed to that.

For what its worth, I think Roeder is an honourable man and cares a lot for the club and the area in general.  You can't be captain of the team in an area of footballing passion and not feel anything for the club and the city.  Unfortunately, as a manager, he was sadly lacking although I do wonder whether he was really given the funds necessary to overhaul the squad in the way that was necessary.

But he's gone now, I wish him well for the future.

You may not believe that he has resigned but fact is he has. He could be well forced and pushed by the imminent axing were he to persist but fact is he takes the comfort road and resigns. After so much talks of he won't resign there is no turning point. He has written his own epitath.

Kieran Dyer was a captain, albeit for only a day! Most people will have feelings and passions for the clubs they have played for. Even a difficult person like Dyer has a passion for Newcastle United, if not he wouldn't have made the effort to customise a X'Mas greeting T-Shirt for the supporter. For what it is worth Glenn Roeder has said before he is a Hammer first and foremost.

I agree with you that he wasn't really given enough funding but even so he didn't really do well with the 15M he was given. I could accept that a rookie manager will make blunders in the transfer market. But Roeder isn't a rookie anymore. Worse still he makes a lot of noise on how he is going to be cautious and visionary in the market.

If you has told the whole world, repeatedly, how good you are you have to accept the bitter reactions if you couldn't deliver your promise. Same goes for Freddie Shepherd.

Guest redmayne

I liked Roeder, I'm sorry he's gone, and next season when whoever has replaced him has led us to glory you can point at this post and say things like 'but you'd have kept Roeder'. I'd have taken any position above 18th this season in return for the stability we've had. No players involved in scandals, no insane trophy signings and indeed those players we have signed are worth more now than what we paid for them. When was the last time that happened on a season?

I was looking forward to next season. I thought it was going to be good.

This season was wrecked, by injuries that started at the world cup and just got worse from there, but even so there were bright spots. He got Nicky Butt playing well again and a season of good performances out of James Milner. He managed to send out what often looked like the academy defence and pick up points. Around November conventional wisdom was that if we didn't spend big we were going down; we spent nothing and stayed up comfortably unencumbered by another round of panic signings on big contracts.

I suspect when Roeder walks out of the door Owen, Ameobi and Dyer will know that he's put years on their career.  There are folks here who don't rate Shola, but Roeder was the first manager in years to decide that the players long term health was more important than having him available for the next six months. If anything he just made the decision too late. He was the first manager in years not to rush Dyer back and break him again, once he's got a pre-season under his belt we may find ourselves with another real talent in the squad.

In the end though we're told that Roeder lost the dressing room, but I wonder if it was the other way round. After the Alkmaaar defeat we heard plenty about the players deciding the season was over. I don't think Roeder ever believed that, but I suspect a lot of players switched off on the plane back from Amsterdam, and had Roeder stayed I think they knew they'd have been gone.

If it's true that Carr feigned injury to avoid facing the pissed off fans of St James' park then I think that sums up Roeders time here. Trying to do the right thing, trying to make himself and others face up to reality and being let down by those around him. I'm not one who believes that professionals on $40k a week should need much motivating, and I certainly don't think they should refuse to face the people who pay their wages. If I was a manager I'd send them out to face the fans every week after a game, have them stand on the touchline at the Gallowgate end for five minutes after every match and just take it, good or bad, they wouldn't want to lose twice.

The one who really let Roeder down though was the chairman. When Roeder talked about long term he must have agreed. When the season was a mess he must have accepted that Europe was unlikely this year, but the moment the fans turned on the manager he lost his nerve. It was the gutless, cowardly decision of a man who no longer had faith in his own judgement.

So thanks Glenn for putting everything you had into a tough job. I seem to remember David Moyes had a bad season once, I thought you might have turned things around the same way if the chairman backed you, but it seems I'll never get to know.

fuck off you tit

Guest smoggeordie

bye, Glenn.. i hope you suffer in hell, you deluded liar

I hope you do too.

just cos he's gone is he suddenly not an incompetent lying cretin? no, he remains one. f*** him.

Where did I say he wasn't an incompetent lying cretin? No need to wish any pain on him at all. At the end of the day he tried his best and was just shite. I'm glad he's gone, for the good of the club, but also wish him all the best.

But, he can.  As he said at the very beginning that he didn't want the job, that we needed a "great manager".  Then he takes it..

To be fair though, my post wasn't about blaming him for accepting, it's that we're expected to f****** thank him and appreciating him.  I mean, Jesus Christ. :lol:

Funny, it looked like you blamed him.  "I've turned down many a job that I've thought were over my head."  -Bluf Purdi, never up for a challenge.  "I'm happy being mediocre."  ;)

Joking mate, but I see where you're coming from and respect your opinion. However, what if your boss was championing you for the position?  How would you react? 

Fred could have been bigging Roeder up so much that he started to believe he could do it.  Nowt wrong with that.