The Glenn Roeder Appreciation Thread!!!

Guest Christian Hayne

He did a great job last season and we should be greatfulfor that. He is not home enough for PL though.

I have been frustrated with him a fair few times,but i will hold on grudges against him. He'll be remembered as a stop-gap when no one else was available.

Good luck, glenn!

Probably was told that if it was announced he resigned and he signs a confidentiality clause, he will get the pay off he was entitled to in full without any arguments.  If Roeder did do that, he wouldn't have been the first to have agreed to that.

That's the most likely scenario. But personally I don't think people should resign in these circumstances. There's no real dignity in it because it's just a sham. If you still want to do the job but your boss decides you're not up to it, then let him sack you.

And in this particular case, Shepherd needs to be publicly taking responsibility for the decision, as an admission of his own failure in appointing him.

Guest Triglett

I've never liked Roeder. Almost got the impression that he was kidding himself that he knew what he was doing. Personally scouting unrealistic targets over and over again, insisting that he never liked talking about other clubs' players before reeling off a list of names, claiming that he doesn't believe in excuses only to point to injuries and bad luck as factors in the club's failures, having the cheek to say that no one else could have done a better job whilst conveniently forgetting the fact that his tenure at West Ham led to probably the most impressive relegation in Premiership history (with talent like David James, Glenn Johnson, Joe Cole, Michael Carrick, Jermain Defoe, Paulo Di Canio, Fredi Kanoute and Les Ferdinand at his disposal)....the man is a walking contradiction and one of life's losers. How he got the job is beyond me, and honestly, you're better off without him. A proper waste of space.

Guest elbee909

Thanks Glenn for your time here, you provided us with entertainment at the end of last season. thanks for getting us into europe and bringing Martins to the club.

good luck glenn in the future!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

According to some people he's not leaving, eh?

Guest Christian Hayne

not me my friend in Fulham lol

Try finding a new one in Southampton.

ok thanks for the advise.. i'll look out for one

Guest elbee909

not me my friend in Fulham lol

"I can assure you that Roeder will be here next season" is a bit different from "my friend in Fulham can assure you etc."

He pulled us out of the relegation zone last season and got us into Europe. For two-thirds of this season, I thought he was doing well under difficult circumstances. So he has made a contribution.

Unfortunately all round, he lost the respect of the players after the Alkmaar defeat, and had to go. Something in his character was finally exposed, as I think probably was the case at West Ham.

I actually feel quite sad right now. Partly because the incompetent berk who's engineered the shambles of the last 4 years is still in ultimate charge.

agree, very good post.

It fucks me off reading some of the s*** on here though, f****** kids who seem to take pleasure out of these circumstances.  I'm sure anyone who remembers glenn as a player, or is aware that he should never have been given the job, won't be dishing out the s**** i've been reading. 

this club is a circus, with a load of stripey f****** clowns supporting it.

I totally agree.

The club is a total shambles and it was too big a job for Roeder but he always had the best interests of the club at heart.  Good luck in the future Glen.

Now who's going to be the next lunatic to take over the asylum???

I just want to say thanks to a guy who took on the most difficult job in the world at one of the worst times to do it, especially since it was his 1st, 1st team managerial job since suffering ill health.

He may not of set the world a light, but he did see us through a rough season, even for the very best this would of been tough, he'll never face anything more difficult than what he had to put up with this season, but i'm glad he's gone, he was never good enough and was always waiting to be sacked.

Good luck in the future GR.

I just want to say thanks to a guy who took on the most difficult job in the world at one of the worst times to do it, especially since it was his 1st, 1st team managerial job since suffering ill health.

He may not of set the world a light, but he did see us through a rough season, even for the very best this would of been tough, he'll never face anything more difficult than what he had to put up with this season, but i'm glad he's gone, he was never good enough and was always waiting to be sacked.

Concisely put, and spot on imo.

Agree with that too.

Guest Ridzuan

Goodbye Glenn.You are a great man who really want to do well for the club,unfortunately,you are not capable of doing that yet.Maybe you can try coaching a second division team and improve yourself.But as for now,thank you for all that you have contributed to the club and I wish you the best in your future endeavours.

I liked Roeder, I'm sorry he's gone, and next season when whoever has replaced him has led us to glory you can point at this post and say things like 'but you'd have kept Roeder'. I'd have taken any position above 18th this season in return for the stability we've had. No players involved in scandals, no insane trophy signings and indeed those players we have signed are worth more now than what we paid for them. When was the last time that happened on a season?

I was looking forward to next season. I thought it was going to be good.

This season was wrecked, by injuries that started at the world cup and just got worse from there, but even so there were bright spots. He got Nicky Butt playing well again and a season of good performances out of James Milner. He managed to send out what often looked like the academy defence and pick up points. Around November conventional wisdom was that if we didn't spend big we were going down; we spent nothing and stayed up comfortably unencumbered by another round of panic signings on big contracts.

I suspect when Roeder walks out of the door Owen, Ameobi and Dyer will know that he's put years on their career.  There are folks here who don't rate Shola, but Roeder was the first manager in years to decide that the players long term health was more important than having him available for the next six months. If anything he just made the decision too late. He was the first manager in years not to rush Dyer back and break him again, once he's got a pre-season under his belt we may find ourselves with another real talent in the squad.

In the end though we're told that Roeder lost the dressing room, but I wonder if it was the other way round. After the Alkmaaar defeat we heard plenty about the players deciding the season was over. I don't think Roeder ever believed that, but I suspect a lot of players switched off on the plane back from Amsterdam, and had Roeder stayed I think they knew they'd have been gone.

If it's true that Carr feigned injury to avoid facing the pissed off fans of St James' park then I think that sums up Roeders time here. Trying to do the right thing, trying to make himself and others face up to reality and being let down by those around him. I'm not one who believes that professionals on $40k a week should need much motivating, and I certainly don't think they should refuse to face the people who pay their wages. If I was a manager I'd send them out to face the fans every week after a game, have them stand on the touchline at the Gallowgate end for five minutes after every match and just take it, good or bad, they wouldn't want to lose twice.

The one who really let Roeder down though was the chairman. When Roeder talked about long term he must have agreed. When the season was a mess he must have accepted that Europe was unlikely this year, but the moment the fans turned on the manager he lost his nerve. It was the gutless, cowardly decision of a man who no longer had faith in his own judgement.

So thanks Glenn for putting everything you had into a tough job. I seem to remember David Moyes had a bad season once, I thought you might have turned things around the same way if the chairman backed you, but it seems I'll never get to know.

one thing that strikes me at this point is that his unwillingness to spend money when he wasn't sure it was for the best has proven to be a massive boost for the club

we might never have recovered if he'd spent another 10-15m on tripe in january and then seen him sacked now

as it is he's left us a legacy of martins (top class, young, valuable) and duff (who might have it in him to improve and if not we should get most/all of the fee back for him)

his legacy is also to have made it apparent that the likes of shambles/moore/baba/carr/dyer perhaps must finally be run out of the club as they don't deserve any more chances

he's also presided over the rehabilitation of michael owen that will hopefully see us in better stead next season

Guest SLK

Any desent honest supporter can't be unhappy with what Roeder achieved last season when SouMess was flirting with relegation and Roeder turned it around and not just saved the club but got us to 7th position and into inter-toto cup...

Only for the above we should all thank him...

It was Fat Bastard's fault for asking Roeder to become full time manager...Roeder should have never been acceptted in this role...

I don't hate Roeder, on the contrary I still like the bloke as a person who genuinely wanted the best for the club and its supporters and did his best (which wasn't good enough) but we can't dismiss his 100% effort in trying...Injuries didn't help yes and lack of funding as opposite to how much SouMess was given only in January to buy Boumsong, Babayaro andFaye let alone later in summer where he spent big money on Owen, Luque, Parker and Solano, didn't help either.

- Roeder wasn't shrud enough in the transfere market, he missed out on many good FREE players who would have strenthened the position of the club.

- Also tactically he wasn't good either.

- His choice of players to captain the team was wrong too.

- His player substitution times always came too late during the game to have any effect

- His handling of Luque was a disgrace while shit like Dyer, Carr, Pattison were given chance after chance...

Guest SLK

Wouldn't it be nice to see Roeder sitting next to Sir Bobby Robson and Fat Fred next season in the stands :lol:

At the end of the day if Joe Average in the street got sacked because he wasn't good at his job then there would be no sympathy. I'd maybe feel a tad sorry for him if I got my £482 back.

He was put in a tough spot, mate and pressure heaved on him that you or I will never feel.  Bit different than "Joe Average". 

A lot of occupations have more pressure than a football manager. He was employed to win games and he couldn't.

He did, but he didn't win enough, the expectations here are too high after finishing the way we did last year.  That was a fluke and

we don't know how much influence Shearer had on the decisions on field.  We were lucky to have that run in last year and the majority

concluded Glen was up for it. 

I don't think there are many (as opposed to "a lot") of occupations that have more pressure than being manager of a top football club.  Especially such a fragile club as Newcastle.  52,000 jeering at you because you've had a bad spell doesn't occur in "a lot" of job positions. 

He was put in a situation where most managers could have had the same results. It could happen to f****** Big Sam, but most people on here think he's the next Judas.  Glen was fine where he was, Academy Manager, but the fat one saw to that now didn't he?

I could name a fair few.

PM me your list, I'm curious. 

Guest SLK

At the end of the day if Joe Average in the street got sacked because he wasn't good at his job then there would be no sympathy. I'd maybe feel a tad sorry for him if I got my £482 back.

He was put in a tough spot, mate and pressure heaved on him that you or I will never feel.  Bit different than "Joe Average". 

A lot of occupations have more pressure than a football manager. He was employed to win games and he couldn't.

He did, but he didn't win enough, the expectations here are too high after finishing the way we did last year.  That was a fluke and

we don't know how much influence Shearer had on the decisions on field.  We were lucky to have that run in last year and the majority

concluded Glen was up for it. 

I don't think there are many (as opposed to "a lot") of occupations that have more pressure than being manager of a top football club.  Especially such a fragile club as Newcastle.  52,000 jeering at you because you've had a bad spell doesn't occur in "a lot" of job positions. 

He was put in a situation where most managers could have had the same results. It could happen to f****** Big Sam, but most people on here think he's the next Judas.  Glen was fine where he was, Academy Manager, but the fat one saw to that now didn't he?

I could name a fair few.

PM me your list, I'm curious. 

Air Traffic Controller at one of the busiest airports on the world !!!

People who thinks he has resigned are fooling themselfs

He was sacked by the board and he said he resigned so he can take most of the blame on his shoulders not the board for appointing the wrong man again.

So that way Shepherd can say:Glenn didnt handle the pressure after the poor season but i was willing to give him next season.

Well said. He wasn't the man for the job but i can't hate him like some do. This isn't a man who deliberately tried to ruin us but a man who loves the club and genuinely cared. He was just out of his depth that's all.

Good luck Glenn.

:clap:

Exactly.

It got to the point where he pretty much had to go and he jumped before he was pushed.

He wasn't the right man, but I think everything he did was with the best of intentions, and I'm sorry it didn't work out.

No hard feelings towards him on my part.