The Glenn Roeder Appreciation Thread!!!

Guest Christian Hayne

Guest optimistic nit

I don't have much sympathy for Glenn Roeder, for me he has shown enough that he is a shape shifter, a person with no dignity.

1. Gone on record to repeatedly say that he definitely didn't want the job, yet changed his mind later.

2. Not only so, when doubts were raised with his coaching qualifications, he went on to say that he should be exempted because he had brain tumour. Wrong. He had had plenty of time to recover from the cancer and gone on taking the coaching qualification. Only a man with no dignity will use his own life threatening illness as excuses.

3. Repeatedly telling everyone he isn't using injuries as excuses, only to follow up, without fail, by mentioning the fact that everyone is injured. Yet, mostly with everyone fit now the results have not picked up. And the depleted Newcastle United haven't done any worse than when senior fit players such as Moore, Bramble, Babayaro, Carr are fit.

4. Telling us every day you won't quit the job despite the pressure, you relish the pressure bla bla bla. Yet you now resign.

5. Telling us you didn't want any old players yet you sign Duff, Sibierski and Bernard.

6. Blame the previous regime for the squad you have. Yet you rely on Given, Solano, Milner, Taylor, Parker, Emre, Dyer, Butt week in week out. The players you bring in - Rossi, Sibierski, Martins, Bernard, Duff - only Martins and Sibierski have done well.

Roeder you shouldn't have resigned. By resigning you let Fat Fred slip away from responsibility again. You should have let Fat Fred have no choice but sack you. Then the whole world will understand more about Fat Fred.

You say you have Newcastle United in your blood? You liar. By resigning you show again you are as selfish as anyone.

everything except 4.

Thanks Glenn for your time here, you provided us with entertainment at the end of last season. thanks for getting us into europe and bringing Martins to the club.

good luck glenn in the future!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

your embarassing mate

His embarrassing what?

Guest Sm1d

The highlight for me was when he came out to salute the fans after we beat the Makems 4-1,when we were still waiting around in the ground.  :clap:

Good luck to him in the future,I like the bloke,but the Newcastle job was too big for him,he's had a full season to see if he was up to the job and he clearly wasn't. :(

All the best luck in the future Glenn. He couldn't do the job ... but then I am not sure who can.

He is leaving us in better shape then Souness - so there is an improvement there. Didn't spend as much money and got us into Europe. Also he didn't hold out for compensation like Souness. In my mind he is still the second best manager we have had post-KK so I see no reason to berate him to the degree many on here have chosen to.

Guest smoggeordie

At the end of the day if Joe Average in the street got sacked because he wasn't good at his job then there would be no sympathy. I'd maybe feel a tad sorry for him if I got my £482 back.

At the end of the day if Joe Average in the street got sacked because he wasn't good at his job then there would be no sympathy. I'd maybe feel a tad sorry for him if I got my £482 back.

He was put in a tough spot, mate and pressure heaved on him that you or I will never feel.  Bit different than "Joe Average". 

Guest smoggeordie

He was put in a tough spot, mate and pressure heaved on him that you or I will never feel.  Bit different than "Joe Average". 

A lot of occupations have more pressure than a football manager. He was employed to win games and he couldn't.

Guest Hibbits left foot

Bought Duff when we needed defenders, didnt move for Campbell, Woodgate,Lauren, signed his own death warrant imo...

I don't have much sympathy for Glenn Roeder, for me he has shown enough that he is a shape shifter, a person with no dignity.

1. Gone on record to repeatedly say that he definitely didn't want the job, yet changed his mind later.

2. Not only so, when doubts were raised with his coaching qualifications, he went on to say that he should be exempted because he had brain tumour. Wrong. He had had plenty of time to recover from the cancer and gone on taking the coaching qualification. Only a man with no dignity will use his own life threatening illness as excuses.

3. Repeatedly telling everyone he isn't using injuries as excuses, only to follow up, without fail, by mentioning the fact that everyone is injured. Yet, mostly with everyone fit now the results have not picked up. And the depleted Newcastle United haven't done any worse than when senior fit players such as Moore, Bramble, Babayaro, Carr are fit.

4. Telling us every day you won't quit the job despite the pressure, you relish the pressure bla bla bla. Yet you now resign.

5. Telling us you didn't want any old players yet you sign Duff, Sibierski and Bernard.

6. Blame the previous regime for the squad you have. Yet you rely on Given, Solano, Milner, Taylor, Parker, Emre, Dyer, Butt week in week out. The players you bring in - Rossi, Sibierski, Martins, Bernard, Duff - only Martins and Sibierski have done well.

Roeder you shouldn't have resigned. By resigning you let Fat Fred slip away from responsibility again. You should have let Fat Fred have no choice but sack you. Then the whole world will understand more about Fat Fred.

You say you have Newcastle United in your blood? You liar. By resigning you show again you are as selfish as anyone.

He said in the Sky interview on Friday he wouldn't walk away from the job.  Two days later there's a hastily convened Board Meeting, Roeder is told to attend and it's then announced Roeder has resigned.  Do you honestly believe Roeder did resign?  I don't for a second.

Probably was told that if it was announced he resigned and he signs a confidentiality clause, he will get the pay off he was entitled to in full without any arguments.  If Roeder did do that, he wouldn't have been the first to have agreed to that.

For what its worth, I think Roeder is an honourable man and cares a lot for the club and the area in general.  You can't be captain of the team in an area of footballing passion and not feel anything for the club and the city.  Unfortunately, as a manager, he was sadly lacking although I do wonder whether he was really given the funds necessary to overhaul the squad in the way that was necessary.

But he's gone now, I wish him well for the future.

Guest LucaAltieri

I wanted Roeder after he took us into Europe. I had faith. This season I was reasonably content right up until the AZ game. That was piss poor and the manager had to take some of the blame, but he was dead right to call the players on it, too.

As it happened that was a turning point and clearly the players stitched him up for the remainder of the season. Roeder had to go for that reason alone. Still can’t help but feel sorry for the bloke. I hope he’s back in management soon and does well with it… just not here.

Next step: a good manager who continues to think long-term and permission to rebuild (i.e. get rid of these players who’ve cost us another manager.)

A lot of occupations have more pressure than a football manager. He was employed to win games and he couldn't.

He did, but he didn't win enough, the expectations here are too high after finishing the way we did last year.  That was a fluke and

we don't know how much influence Shearer had on the decisions on field.  We were lucky to have that run in last year and the majority

concluded Glen was up for it. 

I don't think there are many (as opposed to "a lot") of occupations that have more pressure than being manager of a top football club.  Especially such a fragile club as Newcastle.  52,000 jeering at you because you've had a bad spell doesn't occur in "a lot" of job positions. 

He was put in a situation where most managers could have had the same results. It could happen to fucking Big Sam, but most people on here think he's the next Judas.  Glen was fine where he was, Academy Manager, but the fat one saw to that now didn't he?

Thanks Glenn for your time here, you provided us with entertainment at the end of last season. thanks for getting us into europe and bringing Martins to the club.

good luck glenn in the future!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

decent man but wank at his job.

Good call saying that he wasn't going anywhere btw.

Guest micmania1

People wanted him gone, so he left.

I don't think he was a good manager but if you got asked to be manager you wouldn't think twice about it so you can't criticise him for taking it, especially when he only took it because of the run he had.

The thing that annoyed me about him was he always knew what we thought even though he never talked to us.

Piling all the blame on him is rediculous. Even when we were around 10th and had a good chance of Europe, the players weren't trying, or at least the majority of them. You can't blame Roeder when players are missing sitters.

I agree that it was stupid to buy midfielders or attackers when what we needed was a good solid defender or two.

The majority of people were happy with him taking over but are now deciding they weren't. Very convenient.

3 managers in 3 seasons, but don't blame the players.

Allerdyce can fuck off!

Guest smoggeordie

He did, but he didn't win enough, the expectations here are too high after finishing the way we did last year.  That was a fluke and

we don't know how much influence Shearer had on the decisions on field.  We were lucky to have that run in last year and the majority

concluded Glen was up for it. 

I don't think there are many (as opposed to "a lot") of occupations that have more pressure than being manager of a top football club.  Especially such a fragile club as Newcastle.  52,000 jeering at you because you've had a bad spell doesn't occur in "a lot" of job positions. 

He was put in a situation where most managers could have had the same results. It could happen to f****** Big Sam, but most people on here think he's the next Judas.  Glen was fine where he was, Academy Manager, but the fat one saw to that now didn't he?

I could name a fair few.