The Glenn Roeder Appreciation Thread!!!

Guest Christian Hayne

no.one knows if he was a 'good man' or not, but he was a liar.

he shouldn't get our gratitude for 'trying', that was his fucking job!

fact is, he's once again proven himself to be a liar, a woeful manager, and someone who, if he was the moral man some are assuming, would have resigned some time ago - instead of forging on, lying and passing the blame, doing even more damage to us.

I said it before he went - i hope he never works again. why should i wish this cretin on any other club??  except liverpool, of course. they deserve him.

my joy at him going is tempered by only one thing - my regret that i wanted Allardyce. i didn't, and don't, but i was just so desperate for the incumbent wanker to go.

one thing that strikes me at this point is that his unwillingness to spend money when he wasn't sure it was for the best has proven to be a massive boost for the club

we might never have recovered if he'd spent another 10-15m on tripe in january and then seen him sacked now

as it is he's left us a legacy of martins (top class, young, valuable) and duff (who might have it in him to improve and if not we should get most/all of the fee back for him)

his legacy is also to have made it apparent that the likes of shambles/moore/baba/carr/dyer perhaps must finally be run out of the club as they don't deserve any more chances

he's also presided over the rehabilitation of michael owen that will hopefully see us in better stead next season

Maybe Roeder didn't have that kind of money to spend.  Maybe Newcastle would have fared much better this season isf he had been given that sort  of money to spend.  Of course, it may have been that Macbeth was right and there wasn't that sort of money available to spend in the first place.

Guest smoggeordie

bye, Glenn.. i hope you suffer in hell, you deluded liar

I hope you do too.

one thing that strikes me at this point is that his unwillingness to spend money when he wasn't sure it was for the best has proven to be a massive boost for the club

we might never have recovered if he'd spent another 10-15m on tripe in january and then seen him sacked now

as it is he's left us a legacy of martins (top class, young, valuable) and duff (who might have it in him to improve and if not we should get most/all of the fee back for him)

his legacy is also to have made it apparent that the likes of shambles/moore/baba/carr/dyer perhaps must finally be run out of the club as they don't deserve any more chances

he's also presided over the rehabilitation of michael owen that will hopefully see us in better stead next season

Maybe Roeder didn't have that kind of money to spend.  Maybe Newcastle would have fared much better this season isf he had been given that sort  of money to spend.  Of course, it may have been that Macbeth was right and there wasn't that sort of money available to spend in the first place.

all good points, no arguments from me on that score

you'd have to hope that as a man he had enough integrity to not be sitting there talking about signing players when he knew all along there was nothing to spend...

there are some here who'd argue he didn't and i just don't know - i DO have the nagging feeling he was enough of a yes man for shepherd to perhaps do it, but who can be sure?

Guest newcastle4life

thanks for every thing glenn.your a great bloke and i wish you and your family the best for the future.hope you get the acadamy job to.

Thanks for last season Glenn, shame about this.

He did all he could, it's not his fault it wasn't good enough. He was only here as a stop-gap and we all know it. He did his best and he certainly gave us a few good games in his time here.

The 7th place finish was a fantastic finish to a shit season and he steered us through a very difficult season this year with alot of injuries and other problems. Probably been the toughest season for a long time, it's a shame it came when we had a manager who wasn't strong enough to cope.

A nice bloke and I'm happy that at least he tried.

i rate him as under intelligent for the task, but i do believe he actually has a passion for the club.  Unlike souness who was here for the money/ego boost. 

Roeder tried his best, but just didnt have enough going on between his lugs to make it work.

Am sure he will do well managing a championship side, possibly getting them promotion.  Is a manager whos capable of keeping a club in the premiership, bbut not higher than 15th...not good enough for us.

Is best for both that we part company.

good bye, and tbh i am relieved its over!

Thanks for ruining Newcastle. And hope you enjoy your £1mill pay-off!

We were ruined 17 months before Roeder was hired mate; his name was Souness

Guest STaylor87

At the end of the day, if Roeder didn't step in, we probably would have been fighting Sunderland & Birmingham for the 1st place spot in The Championship.

Thats what we have to appreciate about Roeder, guys.

Granted, his full season in charge failed to meet our expectations, and I believe he has made the correct decision to leave, but I think most people on here are forgetting how much he helped Newcastle last season by keeping us in the Premiership after the Souness Era.

What exactly was there to appreciate?

His.. er.. hoensty, was it? Dignity? I don't know, people throw a lot of stuff around anyway. The guy would still be here if it was solely down to him. I've no doubt whatsoever he had pressure applied on him. You only had to read what he said after the game on Saturday, to see how deluded he actually is. He wanted to go nowhere, he was made to go.

Should've resigned sooner, should have never taken the job and stuck to his original word. I'd have thanked him for either one of those, but not for "resigning", now. One game left. Aye, cheers, Glenn, I appreciate you. :rolleyes:

His.. er.. hoensty, was it?  Dignity?  I don't know, people throw a lot of stuff around anyway.  The guy would still be here if it was solely down to him.  I've no doubt whatsoever he had pressure applied on him.  You only had to read what he said after the game on Saturday, to see how deluded he actually is.  He wanted to go nowhere, he was made to go. 

Should've resigned sooner, should have never taken the job and stuck to his original word.  I'd have thanked him for either one of those, but not for "resigning", now.  One game left.  Aye, cheers, Glenn, I appreciate you. :rolleyes:

Exactly.

His.. er.. hoensty, was it?  Dignity?  I don't know, people throw a lot of stuff around anyway.  The guy would still be here if it was solely down to him.  I've no doubt whatsoever he had pressure applied on him.  You only had to read what he said after the game on Saturday, to see how deluded he actually is.  He wanted to go nowhere, he was made to go. 

Should've resigned sooner, should have never taken the job and stuck to his original word.  I'd have thanked him for either one of those, but not for "resigning", now.  One game left.  Aye, cheers, Glenn, I appreciate you. :rolleyes:

Because if you were offered a promotion, you would turn it down?

Fact of the matter is, no one, whether you think you're good enough or not, would have turned down the manager's job. He's probably got enough money to retire now, it was a clever move by him.

Granted, he probably should have resigned ages ago, I accept that. But you can't blame him for taking the job.

Thank you for the Intertoto last year, and saving our bacon from relegation.

Don't think you really wanted the job full-time, but you got it and tried to the best of your ability. Unfortunately you didn't succeed, in a rotten season, but atleast you knew when to walk away. Hope you stay on in the academy as your work there is fantastic.

His.. er.. hoensty, was it? Dignity? I don't know, people throw a lot of stuff around anyway. The guy would still be here if it was solely down to him. I've no doubt whatsoever he had pressure applied on him. You only had to read what he said after the game on Saturday, to see how deluded he actually is. He wanted to go nowhere, he was made to go.

Should've resigned sooner, should have never taken the job and stuck to his original word. I'd have thanked him for either one of those, but not for "resigning", now. One game left. Aye, cheers, Glenn, I appreciate you. :rolleyes:

Because if you were offered a promotion, you would turn it down?

Fact of the matter is, no one, whether you think you're good enough or not, would have turned down the manager's job. He's probably got enough money to retire now, it was a clever move by him.

Granted, he probably should have resigned ages ago, I accept that. But you can't blame him for taking the job.

I love that question. Do you want to know something, yes, I would turn it down. I've turned down many a job in the past that I thought I was well out of my depth in. I wouldn't take the NUFC job, if I was offered it. Simple as that. I don't suffer from delusion, I can accept who I am, and how good, or bad, I am at anything I do.

So, I'm sorry Jonny, it's not a fact. :nope:

Blimey, I seem to have been in dreamland. It seems in the real world all managers tell the truth all the time, and that when they're asked to resign they always do, often they resign even without being asked.

I seem to have been living in some strange nightmare where the average premiership manager has to lie about everything from transfer targets to the morale in the dressing room just to keep things under control, and that when the chairman asks them to resign they politely ask for a moment to call their lawyers and talk about compensation.

Still, now I've woken up and smelled the coffee it all makes much more sense.

Guest Hibbits left foot

"Glen Roeder doesnt suffer from delusions, Glen Roeder.."...........