Allardyce set to be appointed - 5 live report

Guest Hibbits left foot

Allardyce still hasn't signed anything.

It's important we get it right because for once we're changing manager at the right time. Unlike the previous two managers (who weren't good enough anyway) we can bring in a manager with pedigree who will have the whole summer and pre-season to start building and knowing his squad.

I'm totally undecided on Allardyce, partly because of my long-standing hatred towards him. I have some reservations over whether someone who bases his game on strength and power, set-pieces and high balls could get results with possibly the shortest squad of players in the league. Replacing them all simply isn't a possibility, so he will have to adapt a playing style around the likes of Owen, Martins, maybe Emre, Parker and Dyer too. Can he do that?

He will bring qualities to the table we didn't have under Roeder. I'd expect an organised defence and clever set-pieces. But for me the big question is whether or not he can get us winning games without resorting to the ugly long-ball all the while.

This for me would be THE CORRECT appointment. If it happens and doesn't come off, i won't slate freddy for it. He's got the timing right and he's got the bloke right (IMO). Just needs to deliver wholesale backing, which i'm sceptical about but i didn't think he would get the first two so......

Guest WalkervilleMag

Against.

For anyone to succeed here they either need to win a trophy in the first Year (slight exaggeration like) or have a CV that demands they get time.

The fans are split on the Fat Mackem b****** which means if it doesnt go swimmingly, there'll be a protest started on this very forum by the impatient Sky fans who'll all go from "for" to "against" quicker then you can say "Ill get you a McFlurry son, dont stamp your feet".

For me we need someone bigger than the club, bigger than the players and big enough to tell Fatty to keep out the football decisions.

We need someone who's CV screams out and demands they get the required time, Allardcyce's CV points out he's a s*** Manager thats won f*** all ever.

All we're doing is maximising the chances of yet another failure.

I live in hope that Sods Law comes into it and the Mackem connection means he'll succeed when he finally gets appointed.

Souness had a full list of trophys he a won as a manager

Dagleish  dito

Robson  dito

Ruud    dito

Other than Big Sam, the only person out there with the personality and  the CV, who would be bigger than the club is Jose, and we have no chance there.

Allardyce still hasn't signed anything.

It's important we get it right because for once we're changing manager at the right time. Unlike the previous two managers (who weren't good enough anyway) we can bring in a manager with pedigree who will have the whole summer and pre-season to start building and knowing his squad.

I'm totally undecided on Allardyce, partly because of my long-standing hatred towards him. I have some reservations over whether someone who bases his game on strength and power, set-pieces and high balls could get results with possibly the shortest squad of players in the league. Replacing them all simply isn't a possibility, so he will have to adapt a playing style around the likes of Owen, Martins, maybe Emre, Parker and Dyer too. Can he do that?

He will bring qualities to the table we didn't have under Roeder. I'd expect an organised defence and clever set-pieces. But for me the big question is whether or not he can get us winning games without resorting to the ugly long-ball all the while.

One of the most accurate views i have heard yet. However, i think he will sign, he will succeed and become our greatest managers in recent history.

Guest Nappy Rash

Exactly brains and they were given c. 12 Months, the only one that was anywhere near a success was the bloke that was given time because of his CV and who he was.

You have a strange way of concurring  :coolsmiley:

There isnt an English Manager worthy of a job at a club this size, there are lots and lots of top managers out there with big CV's.

But the fat, ignorant, insular gimp wants a Geordie, or closest to being it appears.

For.

For sure. The man has tactics, the man knows how to manage.

Not my first choice but definately happy with him coming in out of the available managers....

Guest geordiebaz

100% for, I don't buy into this long ball rubbish, as  said before he plays to the resources available at Bolton and doesn't mean he will do it here.

His use of pro zone and other technology puts him streets ahead of most other managers, Bolton have had very few long term injuries and people like Gary Speed still playing around 30 games a season.

He would also get rid of the dead wood both players and staff regardless of reputation/service/loyalty

Against.

1. Panorama

2. I want to watch entertaining football. He's never played that at any of his previous clubs. I remember his Blackpool days. God awful to watch when other teams in that league were playing football the proper way i.e: On the deck.

3. He'll want full control over everything (and rightly so.......) but Shepherd hasn't given anyone that and it'll end in tears when Sams ego is dinted cos Shep wants to sell/buy someone or won't authorise his doubtless legion of backroom staff.

4. He's an arrogant prick with an over-inflated opinion of himself.

The club needs re-structuring from top to bottom and starting 3/4 of the way up with the Manager is pointless.

Whoever gets the job is destined to fail whilst the club is under the strategic direction, leadership and control of Shepherd. So it's almost irrelevant who gets the job to be honest.

Guest Nappy Rash

Why are people wetting themselves at the prospect of signing a big mouthed, self loving, hypocritical knobhead who's finished in the top 6 once ever (is it)?

I suppose it goes to show how far we've come  :weep:

Guest geordiebaz

'Leary or Bruce

Why are people wetting themselves at the prospect of signing a big mouthed, self loving, hypocritical knobhead who's finished in the top 6 once ever (is it)?

I suppose it goes to show how far we've come  :weep:

Who are the realistic other options O'leary or Bruce, give me Big Sam any day

Guest Knightrider

For me we need someone bigger than the club, bigger than the players and big enough to tell Fatty to keep out the football decisions.

May as well say Mourinho, Wenger or someone of that ilk which you and I both know isn't going to happen because a) we are not good enough and b) even if we were which we were under SBR, don't have the enterprise to go for such managers, so basically you're asking for someone that doesn't exist. Only other person that matches that criteria is Shearer (unproven) and KK (been there and done it).

At least Big Sam will be big enough to tell Fatty, the players and even the fans where to go. In that sense he has the character and the balls as well as the shoulders.

Guest geordiebaz

u sure?

Sky Sports News just showed officials at Matfen Hall. Last time we went up there was to talk to Michael Owen.

SA probably there for talks today but think will be announced late in week if anything but with a watching brief Sunday

Guest Nappy Rash

May as well say Mourinho, Wenger or someone of that ilk which you and I both know isn't going to happen because a) we are not good enough and b) even if we were which we were under SBR, have the enterprise to go for such managers, so basically you're asking for someone that doesn't exist. Only other person that matches that criteria is Shearer (unproven) and KK (been there and done it).

At least Big Sam will be big enough to tell Fatty, the players and even the fans where to go. In that sense he has the character and the balls as well as the shoulders.

There are blokes managing Russia and fuckin AZ with these exact credentials man  :idiot2:

Fuckin hell, Allardyce has won nothing ever and has one top 6 finish ever.

Even some cunt like David Moyes has better credentials (not including his 3 Manager of the Year awards or however many he has).