Houllier is interested in Toon job (or not it would now seem)

Skirge

Houllier=God forbid

Im glad that he said he didnt want the job.

Houllier never won some big trophy like Benitez did.

He won the Uefa cup with great luck,The FA cup win even bigger luck(two late Owen goals)and the League cup.

Despite this i dont he did anything that should be remembered.

He isnt that good and that great like some people think.

I hope that we go for Sam or Sven

Sven is my man for the job

You seriously think Liverpool didn't get any luck in winning the Chmpions League?

They won it with even bigger luck but they were playing prety organized,well drilled with amaizing tactical organization.From the time when Houllier was in charge and especially before he was released they were playing pretty poor football

I doubt that Houllier would have ever reached the Champions league final 2 times

Dont you agree?

This entire story has come from the pen of Alan Oliver, who went to sleep last night and woke up this morning convinced that he'd spent yesterday fielding phone calls from international football agents, rather than the reality of picking fluff out of his belly button and avoiding mirrors.  Don't waste your time arguing over whether he's good enough, because he's not even interested.

This

good at lyon, french league with juninho, malouda etc. 

He's under pressure at Lyon actually. They didnt win for about 9 games earlier this year and went out of the Champions League early, they're way clear in the league but thats a given at Lyon.

Lost the League cup to Bordo too

Another failure

Arsenal lost the league cup to Chelsea but you wouldn't turn down Arsene Wenger would you?

What a stupid analogy

Arsenal lost the league cup to Chelsea but you wouldn't turn down Arsene Wenger would you?

Have Arsenal got the squad and budget of every other club in the league combined?

Who is bankrolling Lyon that they have that much of a budget?

Chelsea have a huge budget but they also failed to win the league.

Man Utd have the best squad, but failed to win the League Cup.

Money can't buy everything if the manager is no good.

Houllier might not be the absolute best, but technically he is a very good manager and there is a lot more success yet to come from him in the future. He would be a good choice, better than Sven who is a spent force.

good at lyon, french league with juninho, malouda etc. 

He's under pressure at Lyon actually. They didnt win for about 9 games earlier this year and went out of the Champions League early, they're way clear in the league but thats a given at Lyon.

Lost the League cup to Bordo too

Another failure

What a stupid analogy

What a stupid post.

Guest Digger

Hi guys, Liverpool fan here. I read this board a lot but don't post, some of the stuff here is usually a great read.

On Houllier, he really did some great stuff at ours. Taking over from a team in 7th, a rough position I feel you guys would be in were it not for freakish injuries; we finished 4th, 3rd, then 2nd. He turned things around quickly, winning Cups along the way.

As for the 30point behind comment when we finished 2nd. With 3 games to go we were 4 points off the gooners when we went to Spurs. We had a good goal disallowed and lost, the Arsenal had an offside goal, the same afternoon ruled for them, and they won thus ending our 'challenge'. It is not excuse just showing his team was closer than a lot make out. That's as close as Chelsea were this season yet the media portray them as title challengers. On other day he'd have been 1 behind with 2 to play. As it was we finished 7 points adrift.

Basically what I'm saying is he was for a time a good coach for us. He built the best defence in the country for little money, Carra- Hyppia (3.5)- Henchoz (2)- Babbel (Bosman) something, judging by this board, you guys feel needs doing, and was the driving force in building the Kirbky CoE which basically mirrors the one he set up in France. He played to Owen's strengths, who flourished when fit, but was not afraid to drop him either. I remember Owen hadn't scored for ages but dropping him was akin to devil worship in England at the time. He replaced him with the then unknown Baros who scored in a win on his full debut, if I remember rightly. He still got hammered for dropping England‘s golden boy. Can you imagine if Roeder doing similar (obviously he’ll never get the chance now).

Following the heart attack he seemingly became more paranoid, and eventually the whole thing grew stale and he had to go, but he really dragged Liverpool out of the philosophy of the Boot Room into the modern era. He's respected by a lot of us, particularly match goers. You could certainly do a lot worse, I think he's a good coach anyway.

Guest gggg

Have Arsenal got the squad and budget of every other club in the league combined?

Who is bankrolling Lyon that they have that much of a budget

Jean-Michel Aulas.

And you cant compare the French league with the Premiership. We've got 4 big clubs they've got one who are expected to win everything and have won the league 6 years in a row.

Hi guys, Liverpool fan here. I read this board a lot but don't post, some of the stuff here is usually a great read.

On Houllier, he really did some great stuff at ours. Taking over from a team in 7th, a rough position I feel you guys would be in were it not for freakish injuries; we finished 4th, 3rd, then 2nd. He turned things around quickly, winning Cups along the way.

As for the 30point behind comment when we finished 2nd. With 3 games to go we were 4 points off the gooners when we went to Spurs. We had a good goal disallowed and lost, the Arsenal had an offside goal, the same afternoon ruled for them, and they won thus ending our 'challenge'. It is not excuse just showing his team was closer than a lot make out. That's as close as Chelsea were this season yet the media portray them as title challengers. On other day he'd have been 1 behind with 2 to play. As it was we finished 7 points adrift.

Basically what I'm saying is he was for a time a good coach for us. He built the best defence in the country for little money, Carra- Hyppia (3.5)- Henchoz (2)- Babbel (Bosman) something, judging by this board, you guys feel needs doing, and was the driving force in building the Kirbky CoE which basically mirrors the one he set up in France. He played to Owen's strengths, who flourished when fit, but was not afraid to drop him either. I remember Owen hadn't scored for ages but dropping him was akin to devil worship in England at the time. He replaced him with the then unknown Baros who scored in a win on his full debut, if I remember rightly. He still got hammered for dropping England‘s golden boy. Can you imagine if Roeder doing similar (obviously he’ll never get the chance now).

Following the heart attack he seemingly became more paranoid, and eventually the whole thing grew stale and he had to go, but he really dragged Liverpool out of the philosophy of the Boot Room into the modern era. He's respected by a lot of us, particularly match goers. You could certainly do a lot worse, I think he's a good coach anyway.

Good stuff, cheers.

The bits in bold are what we need more than any other.

Guest Gemmill

Basically what I'm saying is he was for a time a good coach for us. He built the best defence in the country for little money, Carra- Hyppia (3.5)- Henchoz (2)- Babbel (Bosman) something, judging by this board, you guys feel needs doing, and was the driving force in building the Kirbky CoE which basically mirrors the one he set up in France. He played to Owen's strengths, who flourished when fit, but was not afraid to drop him either. I remember Owen hadn't scored for ages but dropping him was akin to devil worship in England at the time. He replaced him with the then unknown Baros who scored in a win on his full debut, if I remember rightly. He still got hammered for dropping Englands golden boy. Can you imagine if Roeder doing similar (obviously hell never get the chance now).

Nice one mate, good stuff.  I just don't think he's interested though.  This whole link has come from our local rag and the bloke who writes for it is just full of shit (he's the hideous bloke you'll see on SSN from time to time, face like a smashed cinema seat).

Basically what I'm saying is he was for a time a good coach for us. He built the best defence in the country for little money, Carra- Hyppia (3.5)- Henchoz (2)- Babbel (Bosman) something, judging by this board, you guys feel needs doing, and was the driving force in building the Kirbky CoE which basically mirrors the one he set up in France. He played to Owen's strengths, who flourished when fit, but was not afraid to drop him either. I remember Owen hadn't scored for ages but dropping him was akin to devil worship in England at the time. He replaced him with the then unknown Baros who scored in a win on his full debut, if I remember rightly. He still got hammered for dropping Englands golden boy. Can you imagine if Roeder doing similar (obviously hell never get the chance now).

A view from somebody who actually knows what they are talking about. Good enlightening read.

Good stuff, cheers.

The bits in bold are what we need more than any other.

The bits in bold can be achieved with Ericksson too. O0

I'm not convinced about Houllier. Since their last league title, successive managers have struggled to take Liverpool forward from the position of being top-four to Champions, which is where they want and need to be. I don't think Houllier did significantly better or worse than what you'd expect of a manager at such a huge and well-resourced club.

As for Eriksson, I think he's a good manager but he feels like more of a risk than Allardyce. At this stage of his career, would he really be up for the particular challenge that is us? It would be a step down from previous jobs, whereas for Allardyce it would be a step up. I think that works in Allardyce's favour.

and a partridge in a pear tree.

;D ;D

I'm not convinced about Houllier. Since their last league title, successive managers have struggled to take Liverpool forward from the position of being top-four to Champions, which is where they want and need to be. I don't think Houllier did significantly better or worse than what you'd expect of a manager at such a huge and well-resourced club.

As for Eriksson, I think he's a good manager but he feels like more of a risk than Allardyce. At this stage of his career, would he really be up for the particular challenge that is us? It would be a step down from previous jobs, whereas for Allardyce it would be a step up. I think that works in Allardyce's favour.

But we can say that he didnt manage at club level for some time now and he will be motivated to do it again

Also he will be extra motivated to succeed at Newcastle so that way he will silence the critics who were saying that he is not good as England manager.

Houllier would be more acceptable than Sam & quite frankly I'd find Nancy a better bet than Sven  :idiot2: But that is not the most important thing.

What we really need is some cash rich investors to come along & for FF to do the honerable thing & sod off. We all know that short term at least that will not happen. 

In the meantime we will get Sam & pray that he can do the job. Quite what Kevin Bond will make of the appointment I really don't know and Roeder will also be gutted that he is being replaced by a man who badgered the PL over the fact that he did not have his badges.

FF is not the man to bring success to our club. He may support NUFC & he may want the best but he cannot provide the full infrastructure that is required & has proven disastrous in his choices of manager (he even got Bobby in a few years too late). He supports the managers with money but it is our money & Sky's money he is using & we are not getting a decent return. Never be fooled that he is ploughing his money in.

Heaven forbid that we appoint the new man & find ourselves in the same position at the end of the season but you wouldn't bet against it. The lowest common denominator in all of this is FF. Solution; get rid of him  :tickedoff:

and a partridge in a pear tree.

;D ;D

But we can say that he didnt manage at club level for some time now and he will be motivated to do it again

Also he will be extra motivated to succeed at Newcastle so that way he will silence the critics who were saying that he is not good as England manager.

Well maybe, but that doesn't sound like the strongest kind of motivation. Even if you're right, what happens when problems arise and he starts to get some stick? Is he going to say to himself, 'must prove myself' or is he going to say, 'Sod this, I've won trophies in Sweden, Portugal and Italy, and I've managed a major international football team. Now these losers are telling me I don't know how to manage a football team. Do I really need this?'

There was a similar discussion when we were having the O'Neill v Hitzfeld debate a year ago. A lot of people were pointing to Hitzfeld's superior record in winning trophies, but (I felt) ignoring the issue of motivation. If he's climbed the mountain before, why should he want to climb it again with a club where the chances of success are nowhere near as good? Sure enough, he opted to go back to Munich rather than take a backward step.

I say - give the job to a bloke whose career is still on the way up.

Guest MaetihS

If Houllier is available, we should really take him.  My...i am so flattered that he is actually interested in us.

Guest gggg
If Houllier is available, we should really take him.  My...i am so flattered that he is actually interested in us.

He isn't.

Houllier is at another club and has denied any links with us. I don't understand where the words Houllier and Options cross paths TBH. Noone else realise this is the mystic shit that Anal writes?

The french league isnt even a competition so his success with Lyon should be viewed as quite straightforward. However, as Reds who seem to know their stuff think hes canny thats a good enough commendation for me.

I reckon he would take the job if offered too but the chronicle is probably spouting bollocks.

Guest alex

My information is that earlier reports linking Houllier to the St. James' Park hotseat were wide of the mark.

Guest Brewcastle

If the choice is between Houllier, the swedish playboy or Big Sam, I would prefere Houllier.

I would even prefere a norwegian "potato-farmer": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nils_Arne_Eggen

or a norwegian "steel-worker": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trond_Sollied , before both Sven and Sam.

Both stands for enjoyable attacking football. But I'll be realistic. It's probably better names out there. But when NUFC did hire Souness, everything's possible  :laugh2: .

My first choice is still Ronald Koeman.