Houllier is interested in Toon job (or not it would now seem)

Skirge

SSN just reported this story!!

Where they got it from..

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=houllier-and-sven-eye-toon-job%26method=full%26objectid=19072626%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Houllier and Sven eye Toon job

May 9 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier has thrown his hat into the Newcastle United ring. And so too has former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson.

In fact there are several big hitters in the game both at home and abroad who have made it clear that they would love the job, even though United have already decided that Sam Allardyce is the man.

Yesterday I took calls from Spain, Greece, France and Norway from people representing would-be United managers - and there will be even more calls going into St James' Park.

The Chronicle's front page headline of "Big Sam The Man" on Monday morning went round the world and revealed that United had decided Allardyce would be their next manager.

But while Eriksson can save his breath, I have to say that Houllier ticks a lot of boxes, having won six trophies in his days at Anfield - the FA Cup, two League Cups, the UEFA Cup, the European Super Cup and the Charity Shield.

He is currently at Lyon and has a 19-point lead over Lens at the top of the Championnat and this will be his fourth French title.

A source close to the 59-year-old Houllier told me from Paris today: "Obviously Gerard has had heard about Sam Allardyce, but he would still love to be manager of Newcastle United.

"He has a release clause in his contract - and he would be on the next plane to Newcastle because he feels that he has unfinished business in the Premiership."

Houllier was one of several continental managers, including the likes of Claudio Ranieri and Roberto Mancini, who wanted the United job 12 months ago when Freddy Shepherd decided to give it to Glenn Roeder after the former skipper had taken the club into Europe.

Eriksson was still with England then, but his agent Athol Still is now putting him forward to replace Roeder.

Still said: "Newcastle United is a massive, massive club and Sven would consider it an honour to be their manager."

United will not be saying anything officially about their managerial situation until after the Premiership season ends on Sunday.

But United feel the Allardyce deal will go through, even though Bolton Wanderers will demand compensation on their former manager who was under contract at the Reebok Stadium until October 1999.

And the talk in football is that Allardyce is facing a third inquiry by the Quest transfer probe team, even though he has vehemently denied any wrong-doing, while the situation regarding the departure of Kevin Bond from St James' Park is a concern among some fans I have spoken to.

They are now talking about Sven being linked with it too, but they are saying people at the Chroncile have spoken to people who represent Houllier and he would very much like to take the job on..

Guest gggg
if freddy doesnt give him the job, he's a complete idiot, but he's a complete idiot, so it'll be sam

He didnt do much with Liverpool who had better players and resources than weve got and hes already started to dismantle Lyon.

I'd rather have Big Sam.

if freddy doesnt give him the job, he's a complete idiot, but he's a complete idiot, so it'll be sam

He didnt do much with Liverpool who had better players and resources than weve got and hes already started to dismantle Lyon.

I'd rather have Big Sam.

He didn't do much at Liverpool? :lol:

Wow ...

This changes everything! Houllier would be more widely accepted and respected, and his contacts are second to none. He also knows what the premiership is all about and has always wanted to come back.

This is all very interestng and it is going to be a difficult decision for Freddy.

Didn't Roeder also work closely with Houllier while he was at liverpool? Glenn might be back here too, but in a role more suitable for him, as a coach or scout.

What about Houlier as director of football and Sam as manager?  Or do people think they couldn't work together? (likely I suppose since sam is such a strong character).

Guest gggg
He didn't do much at Liverpool?

What did he do? finish 3rd?

Benitez won the champions league with the same sqyad.

He didn't do much at Liverpool?

What did he do? finish 3rd?

Benitez won the champions league with the same sqyad.

Aye just finished 3rd, no trophies or anything..

I'd rather have Big Sam.

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELUSIONAL!!!

:lol:

Can I have some of what you're on ... on second thoughts keep it to yourself.

Guest nufc_geordie

I'd rather have Big Sam.

He only won four trophies in a season and he built Lyon up to where they are now. He is only dismantling as you call it, I would call it rebuilding as it is difficult to keep good players in the French league. When players like Essien etc. are snapped up they are difficult to replace in France.

Kicks the arse off Sam for me, get Houllier in Fred.

Guest nufc_geordie

Still finished in the champions league qualifying position though!

Why would you want Big Sam anyway, the man who didn't want to come twice? Thats enough of a reason for me not to want him here.

The Treble  :lol:

Probably finished 30 points behind in the league that season.

Where as we can afford to turn away managers like him because Benitez, Wenger and Ferguson are knocking down our door!? :lol: