Fat Fred Speaks About Owen Loyalty...................

Guest nufc_geordie

Guest Gemmill

Fuck me lad, I'm not suggesting we should go out specifically looking for these players, but that's exactly what we HAVE been doing for years now.  Flash the £££ at them and they will come.  Do you think Damien Duff came here because he thought he could win things?  You seem to think Owen should be driven to stay here by his desire to win things now too - quite the fucking opposite tbh.

So what would be your strategy to break the mould? How would you go about building solid foundations?

First, I would stop signing players that only come here because of our ability/willingness to offer them wages far in excess of market rate.  We don't have a wage structure at NUFC.  Look at the Owen deal, we got him here because we offered him astronomical wages and because (as is becoming increasingly evident), we put a clause in his contract that actually allowed him to leave FOR LESS than we paid for him.

Stop for a second and think about that.  We were basically acknowledging two things by doing that:  firstly that we weren't an attractive option to Michael Owen as we were giving him an escape route out of the club that no player willing to come here would get in their contract.  Secondly, and perhaps more damning, we were acknowledging that we had paid far in excess of his market value to get him to come here.

We offered Scott Parker crazy money to get him here, we offered Damien Duff crazy money to get him here, we gave a crocked Kieron Dyer crazy money to get him to stay.  Steve Sidwell is arguably better off at Reading than he would be here, but it looks to me like we've turned the lad's head, no doubt by talking about wages a good £15k in excess of his market value.

Does this sound like a way of establishing the club of motivated winners that you're looking for?  Doesn't sound like it to me.  And yet this is what we have established ourselves as.  We can't even shift some of the shite in our squad because we're paying them far in excess of what they're worth and they know they're onto a cushy number here.  You can talk about huge resources and being starved of success, but it's our misuse of those huge resources by our moron chairman which is making life far too easy for the players at the club. 

The top and bottom of it is this:  Players don't come to Newcastle United to win things.  They come to get paid.

Guest NIToon

What a ridiculous statement by the fat f**ker, you do not get agressive in the media with players you want to keep at the club

Fuck me lad, I'm not suggesting we should go out specifically looking for these players, but that's exactly what we HAVE been doing for years now.  Flash the £££ at them and they will come.  Do you think Damien Duff came here because he thought he could win things?  You seem to think Owen should be driven to stay here by his desire to win things now too - quite the fucking opposite tbh.

So what would be your strategy to break the mould? How would you go about building solid foundations?

First, I would stop signing players that only come here because of our ability/willingness to offer them wages far in excess of market rate.  We don't have a wage structure at NUFC.  Look at the Owen deal, we got him here because we offered him astronomical wages and because (as is becoming increasingly evident), we put a clause in his contract that actually allowed him to leave FOR LESS than we paid for him.

Stop for a second and think about that.  We were basically acknowledging two things by doing that:  firstly that we weren't an attractive option to Michael Owen as we were giving him an escape route out of the club that no player willing to come here would get in their contract.  Secondly, and perhaps more damning, we were acknowledging that we had paid far in excess of his market value to get him to come here.

We offered Scott Parker crazy money to get him here, we offered Damien Duff crazy money to get him here, we gave a crocked Kieron Dyer crazy money to get him to stay.  Steve Sidwell is arguably better off at Reading than he would be here, but it looks to me like we've turned the lad's head, no doubt by talking about wages a good £15k in excess of his market value.

Does this sound like a way of establishing the club of motivated winners that you're looking for?  Doesn't sound like it to me.  And yet this is what we have established ourselves as.  We can't even shift some of the shite in our squad because we're paying them far in excess of what they're worth and they know they're onto a cushy number here.  You can talk about huge resources and being starved of success, but it's our misuse of those huge resources by our moron chairman which is making life far too easy for the players at the club. 

The top and bottom of it is this:  Players don't come to Newcastle United to win things.  They come to get paid.

As much as I don't want to further inflate that ego of yours Gemmill, thats a top post.

Everyone, to a man, has responsibilities in their job.

Can this man not be taken to task by someone for coming out with stuff like that ??

He must surely be as vulnerable to disciplinary proceedings as the rest of us... this must be a sackable offence.

Cant the board members give him a vote of no confidence or something like that ??

Owen has made a statement saying that he feels loyal and isn't looking for a move or something (my ears may have been making things up) according to 5 live.

Fair play to him, shows an admirable and honourable restraint.

Can this man not be taken to task by someone for coming out with stuff like that ??

He must surely be as vulnerable to disciplinary proceedings as the rest of us... this must be a sackable offence.

Cant the board members give him a vote of no confidence or something like that ??

I'm sure that a deal of that size would have been under the noses of the club owners so if they ratified at the time it wouldn't be fair of them to blame FS solely for it.

f*** me lad, I'm not suggesting we should go out specifically looking for these players, but that's exactly what we HAVE been doing for years now.  Flash the £££ at them and they will come.  Do you think Damien Duff came here because he thought he could win things?  You seem to think Owen should be driven to stay here by his desire to win things now too - quite the f****** opposite tbh.

Does this sound like a way of establishing the club of motivated winners that you're looking for?  Doesn't sound like it to me.  And yet this is what we have established ourselves as.  We can't even shift some of the s**** in our squad because we're paying them far in excess of what they're worth and they know they're onto a cushy number here.  You can talk about huge resources and being starved of success, but it's our misuse of those huge resources by our moron chairman which is making life far too easy for the players at the club. 

The best post I've read on here in a very long time. You're spot on with your analysis of why we won't fulfill our potential whilst FFS is at the helm.

At least we'll not be seeing Sven on Tyneside after FFS's comment that the 51% figure quoted by Sven's agent related to the number of lads who'd like to see Nancy on the Quayside. It certainly made me laugh.

"I have read what Mr Shepherd as said. He is absolutely right in saying I want to play for a top 4 side. This why I joined this club. The chairman told me that he saw this club as being one that would compete at the highest level, that is what I want, that is what the fans want.

By the start of next season I will be playing for my third different Newcastle manager. It is up to the chairman to get it right this time. He should be appointing someone that will make this place a place that is in the CL every year. That is his job, he does nothing else that I can see, he just appoints the best person to take us all forward.

If the chairman keeps making the sort of appointments that allow this club to finish below Boro, Villa, Blackburn, Reading and Bolton then he will never attract the players I think are needed to get to the top 4.

I want to end my career at Newcastle, in a trophy-winning side. The chairman's actions show to everyone he has little idea of how let me do this."

!!!!!!!!!!!

Very worrying imo as looks like Owen or his agent is trying to engineer a way out  of Toon. Freddy has every right to be mad imo, as owen's out of order if he wants to move now, although FS is a complete Prat for agreeing to that clause. If Owen moves on for 9m after we just paid 16m he'll be a laughing stock.

People on here saying they woulden't blame Owen if he moved! Is there no decency left in the world at all?  I Definately will, i think he owes us more than 13 poxy games or whatever he's played, disgusted with him if he jumps ship now he's finally fit after all the backing and support etc we've given him.  I'm hoping he'll come out and deny these rumours and pledge at least next season to us, but i'm really fearing the worst now. Tbh if we got something like 15m for him i'd sell but 9m is a bit of a piss take to say the least.

Guest Gemmill

"I have read what Mr Shepherd as said. He is absolutely right in saying I want to play for a top 4 side. This why I joined this club. The chairman told me that he saw this club as being one that would compete at the highest level, that is what I want, that is what the fans want.

By the start of next season I will be playing for my third different Newcastle manager. It is up to the chairman to get it right this time. He should be appointing someone that will make this place a place that is in the CL every year. That is his job, he does nothing else that I can see, he just appoints the best person to take us all forward.

If the chairman keeps making the sort of appointments that allow this club to finish below Boro, Villa, Blackburn, Reading and Bolton then he will never attract the players I think are needed to get to the top 4.

I want to end my career at Newcastle, in a trophy-winning side. The chairman's actions show to everyone he has little idea of how let me do this."

!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm assuming that that's your version of what Owen's response should be, and not his actual words?

Sadly, this is the heart of the problem. Our club is a one man band, and there isn't anyone to act as a restraining influence on him. This is just the latest example of his rank incompetence, and if he was an employee he'd have been sacked long ago. But who will do it?

The Halls are the largest shareholders, but they don't or won't flex their muscle. They could oust him from the Chair if they wanted, but Sir John is retired and doesn't want to be involved in the running of the club. Douglas isn't capable of running the club. It's clear that they want to sell up, but Shepherd is blocking any takeover by refusing to budge.

Guest Magnetic North

f*** me lad, I'm not suggesting we should go out specifically looking for these players, but that's exactly what we HAVE been doing for years now.  Flash the £££ at them and they will come.  Do you think Damien Duff came here because he thought he could win things?  You seem to think Owen should be driven to stay here by his desire to win things now too - quite the f****** opposite tbh.

Does this sound like a way of establishing the club of motivated winners that you're looking for?  Doesn't sound like it to me.  And yet this is what we have established ourselves as.  We can't even shift some of the s**** in our squad because we're paying them far in excess of what they're worth and they know they're onto a cushy number here.  You can talk about huge resources and being starved of success, but it's our misuse of those huge resources by our moron chairman which is making life far too easy for the players at the club. 

**** me. There's no stopping Gemmill today!

Tell you what, FM get it fuking right everytime, anyone with 07 been able to keep Owen after he returns to play two games for you at the end of the season and wants to move to a bigger club.

;D

Actually yeah, in my second season in charge he knocked in four goals in a match in a uefa cup semi  :clap:

Must admit though I prefer 2006- scored 25 league goals in the first season, then chelsea came knocking with a cool 40 million.

Guest Darth Toon

Just as I was grudgingly giving the fat man some credit for the timing of the Roeder dismissal he comes out with this shite.

I'm actually embarrased for him.

I don't really understand how Freddie can agree to have an escape clause of £9m inserted into Owen's contract, but find it objectionable when it becomes public.  If you don't want people to know about it, don't put it in.

Equally, don't insert such a clause if you don't want a player to leave.  I find it surprising that he would object to Owen wishing to move to another club.  The very existence of the clause suggests that Owen stated his intentions very clearly from the outset: should Newcastle fail to qualify for Europe, he would wish to be able to leave for another club, should they offer £9m.  As far as I can see, his intentions haven't changed.  If anything, it appears that our chairman is not playing by the rules he had a hand in laying down when negotiating the contract.

I appreciate why he felt we needed to sign Owen and that he would have to make compromises to entice him here, but he simply can't complain when it doesn't work out the way he had hoped.  And to make it known that Owen has, in effect, hurt his feelings - not to mention saying as much to the press - is, frankly, naive at best and pathetic at worst.

I agree with every word. What's more, it ill befits Freddie to be trying to claim the moral high ground. The player had said publicly that he wanted to join Liverpool, and that he would only consider signing for us on loan. We then put in a bid that was so far ahead of Liverpool's, as to make it impossible for Madrid to accept their offer. We took advantage of the fact that Owen was desperate to leave in order to get first team football in preparation for the World Cup. Freddie effectively drove him into a corner.

It's now clear that in order to overcome Owen's reluctance, Freddie had to agree to some terms that were very unfavourable to the club. He can't complain now. Those that live by the sword, die by the sword.

Fact is Owen had us over a barrel, we were desperate for a striker and time was running out, I think Fred had faith he would see out 3 years of a four year deal then cash in on the £9mill.

Owen probaly point blank refused to sign without that clause in anyway, but I think it hitting the press is a clear sign he well wants away.