Albert Luque (now retired)

James

Firstly i will point out that i'm a massive Luque fan, i even have his name on the back of my away top.

Trying to be as fair as possible, i think Luque had a decent game. No more, no less. He does tend to give the ball away and doesn't close people down like Scotty Parker or Big Al. However, i simply don't think that is the type of player Luque is. He reminds me of Robert in many ways, un-believable talent but a questionable attitude.

Luque in my eyes is the type of player who can un-leash a moment of brilliance at a moments notice, sometimes you won't even know he's in a game until he's scored the winner. Yesterday, i think he showed exactly that.

People can't use "A lack of fitness" anymore, it's just not realistic. What does baffle me is why Roeder would leave him out of the team week in week out.

Personally, i don't know whether i would like Luque to stay or not. We will soon find out.

Yes I feel the same way about Luque he can unleash that brilliance sometimes and be a match winner and I hope we keep him. I think if we can toughen him up a bit without losing his technical skills he'll be a great asset to us, Owen can also be like that many times, quiet as a mouse for most of the game then all of a sudden he pops in two or three goals and wins the match for us

Firstly i will point out that i'm a massive Luque fan, i even have his name on the back of my away top.

Trying to be as fair as possible, i think Luque had a decent game. No more, no less. He does tend to give the ball away and doesn't close people down like Scotty Parker or Big Al. However, i simply don't think that is the type of player Luque is. He reminds me of Robert in many ways, un-believable talent but a questionable attitude.

Luque in my eyes is the type of player who can un-leash a moment of brilliance at a moments notice, sometimes you won't even know he's in a game until he's scored the winner. Yesterday, i think he showed exactly that.

People can't use "A lack of fitness" anymore, it's just not realistic. What does baffle me is why Roeder would leave him out of the team week in week out.

Personally, i don't know whether i would like Luque to stay or not. We will soon find out.

Yes I feel the same way about Luque he can unleash that brilliance sometimes and be a match winner and I hope we keep him. I think if we can toughen him up a bit without losing his technical skills he'll be a great asset to us, Owen can also be like that many times, quiet as a mouse for most of the game then all of a sudden he pops in two or three goals and wins the match for us

If we have say six strikers which is what any good prem team should have. We would be looking at:

Owen

-

Luque

Dyer

Ameobi

Chopra

We should be looking to sign one good striker i.e Kuyt,Bellamy or Gudjohnsen, that for me would be sufficiant for next season. The thing is under Roeder we have looked like scoring goals even with Ameobi and Chopra up front which is a positive thing.

From what I've seen, Luque looks real quality, but doesn't seem to fancy the Premier league much. Funnily enough, I think he'd shine much better with the type of football we are playing now under Roeder, but he doesn't seem to fancy him much. If he goes back to the continent I reckon he'll look much better because the football is played mostly on the deck there.

From what I've seen, Luque looks real quality, but doesn't seem to fancy the Premier league much. Funnily enough, I think he'd shine much better with the type of football we are playing now under Roeder, but he doesn't seem to fancy him much. If he goes back to the continent I reckon he'll look much better because the football is played mostly on the deck there.

Maybe he will perform better in the inter toto and the uefa cup (Touches wood) due to the slower pace. Then roeder could use this form in the premierleague.

I could definitely see him doing a job in the Intertoto, and with our injury list we might still get some return from his  signing. I think we'll end up selling at a big loss though.

If we got offered 5-6 million for him from a spanish club I would take their arm off. Like people have mentioned he just doesn't seem interested and it makes my blood boil when he doesn't go for a 50/50 ball.

I really liked him when he played for depor in Spain but he just hasn't produced the goods, perhaps an idea would be to get the 5-6 million and spend it on our first target : Boa Morte (has had an excellent season)

If we got offered 5-6 million for him from a spanish club I would take their arm off. Like people have mentioned he just doesn't seem interested and it makes my blood boil when he doesn't go for a 50/50 ball.

I really liked him when he played for depor in Spain but he just hasn't produced the goods, perhaps an idea would be to get the 5-6 million and spend it on our first target : Boa Morte (has had an excellent season)

Yeah, i think 5 or 6 would be about right. As much as i'd love to see him do well, i just can't see it.

However, i must protest about Boa Morte. Last season i would have took him but i'm fine with Zoggy and young Patterson. If we are going to get that kind of money we should get somone like Gareth Barry who can play in both positions.

He deserves another chance on the basis he scored in a testimonial?

The same basis that Chopra, Ameobi (even before his small scoring patch) and Pattison get their chances week in week out. Luque has had approx 90 mins under Roeder, thats not nearly enough to make a definitive judgement either way, although his form for Depor indicates that he is better than Ameobi and Chopra combined. The thing is we'll never know for sure till we give a run of a few games (and not just for the last 5 mins of a game that has already been won/lost).

what has happened to 'we need BIG names at St James Park?', all the names i am hearing now are average players who play average football - what we need is some players that have something different about them because the opposition hate that and that is when goals will be scored.

IMO we have to keep luque because he is a bigger name and that will help when attracting new players, espcially foreign ones.  although emre hasnt really done anything in the second half of the season i say keep him too because he can run and scare defenders.

please keep albert FS!

Guest Verlaine

Here's something to chew over. I think it's entirely possible with regards to the Luque/Chopra situation that Roeder's thinking has simply been he knows exactly what Luque is capable of, and whether he wants to have him here or not, but he didn't know enough about Chopra to justify either giving him a new contract or letting him go; therefore, he played Chopra at the end of the season in preference to Luque.

I believe personally that Roeder made up his mind about Luque's role- or whether he even has one- next season. I don't know whether that decision was to keep him, give him a good preseason, or whether it's to sell him. But I believe he was undecided about Chopra. I'm not saying this is fact, but it's a theory.

Here's something to chew over. I think it's entirely possible with regards to the Luque/Chopra situation that Roeder's thinking has simply been he knows exactly what Luque is capable of, and whether he wants to have him here or not, but he didn't know enough about Chopra to justify either giving him a new contract or letting him go; therefore, he played Chopra at the end of the season in preference to Luque.

I believe personally that Roeder made up his mind about Luque's role- or whether he even has one- next season. I don't know whether that decision was to keep him, give him a good preseason, or whether it's to sell him. But I believe he was undecided about Chopra. I'm not saying this is fact, but it's a theory.

You could well be right, it wouldn't be the first time that has been done..

I would keep him, let him have a full pre-season under Roeder and that may well give him more confidence.  If he's no better, jog him on in January.

It's definitely a bad idea to flog him now.

I thought last night, he played quite sound. I am not saying he's going to be the best goal-getter for us ever, but he's proved what he can do

Guest Anders Rye

I can understand if Roeder wanted to try Chopra, but how come Luque wasn't on the bench against Chelsea and Birmingham, where we knew we had to win!

I can understand if Roeder wanted to try Chopra, but how come Luque wasn't on the bench against Chelsea and Birmingham, where we knew we had to win!

I'm guessing that against Birmingham, the reason he didn't play was because Owen made it onto the bench, but I have absolutely no idea why he didn't even make the bench vs Chelsea...

I hate the b*llock of a theory that, "he mustn't be pulling his weight in training so he doesn't deserve to play". So f*ck. It's pretty obvious Ameobi & Chopra must look like Eto'o & Shevchenko in training but they're average. Luque has that bit of class, and even when he hasn't performed well, he's still looked a better bet than those two.

I hate the b*llock of a theory that, "he mustn't be pulling his weight in training so he doesn't deserve to play". So f*ck. It's pretty obvious Ameobi & Chopra must look like Eto'o & Shevchenko in training but they're average. Luque has that bit of class, and even when he hasn't performed well, he's still looked a better bet than those two.

blueyes.gif