Albert Luque (now retired)

James

Luque

bags of talent but no bottle!

The same could have been said about Ginola, it didn't stop him from being a good player for us.

Ginola had bottle, he got clatterd all the time trying to go past players, luque gives the ball away the second it looks like he will be closed down.

Ginola was lazy and would not track back, had nowt to do with lack of bottle.

Define bottle?

Bottle as in bravery as in being scared of getting hurt but still keeping a hold of the ball anyway..

It would make more sense if you said "Luque isn't tough enough and he doesn't get rid of the ball quick enough" If thats your critisism of him.

Bottles a bullshit word.

I did say higher up the thread that he is not very tough and my complaint is that he DOES get rid of the ball to quick, he will not hold the ball up at all, he could have played Butt in the other night if he had held the ball up for a few seconds but he gave it away, Butt let him know so too.

Bottle is a term widely used to describe bravery, made up word :lol:

I just think he is a wimp and being that way stops him being as effective as he could be in a game. In Spain they get lots more time on the ball without a player flying into a tackle on them, its that part of the Prem game that I think he is finding hard to deal with.

Haha, i was just messing. I agree with what you have said in terms of the different style. Lets hope Sam can find a solution.

Post-Celtic comments from Albert Luque:

"I'm happy, but I'm very demanding with myself and I know I can give more on the pitch.

"I am perhaps having the best feeling since I arrived at Newcastle and I only ask that they give me opportunities.

"I have had a good understanding with the new trainer since his arrival. I believe I am demonstrating what I can do, little by little.

"But my problems at Newcastle have not been due to lack of communication with the different trainers, but simply that I have not had enough continuity in the team."

www.nufc.com

you know if he'd of scored that chance he created past Ferdinand against MAnure I'm sure a lot of people's opinion of him would be different. Fact is he didn't, shows what a fine line there is

Excellent point.

I find it funny when people say he scored his goal against Palermo because it was put on his head, or that he scored two against Celtic because they were excellent crosses. I've seen Van Nistelrooy (no I'm not comparing the two, calm down people) score loads like that and people spunk everywhere over his movement and anticipation to create an easy chance for himself. Those two goals against Celtic, if we were talking about someone like Ruud everyone would be going on about his movement, yet cos it's Luque they make out like Solano and Milner made him score. I've just seen both goals and they show very good movement, anticipation and composure, real poachers goals. I'd be surprised to see Ameobi or even Martins scoring those types of goals and it shows Luque does have something in his locker. He might have done nowt else for the 45 minutes, but he scored two goals in the first half against a decent team and people are trying to knock him for it.

At the end of the day it's difficult to judge a player objectively when you really don't like him (eg Luque), just as it is when you love a player (eg Shearer when his legs were going). Luque deserves a fair bit of criticism but he also deserves credit where it's due.

I also tend to think that somebody with his pedigree deserves a chance to show it with a run in the team. I think he's lost serious pace because of that injury and it's sad to see, but I remember him raping Cafu as they put Milan out of the Champions League and I think a player who had that ability is worth a bit of patience, espescially when noone is bashing down the door to sign him up. I'm glad Sam sees this because he's paid handsomely to get as much as he can out of every player in the squad and isn't looking to wash his hands of players who will require hard work.

i think both were excelent finishes, very well times volleys, but at the same time you have to recognise that luque and V.N are very different types of players. its ok that V.N (or Owen) have limited skill on the ball, and can be absent for 89 mins of a game, because they are 25 a season strikers, there to score goals, and natural predators. Luque is none of these things, he scored 2 vs celtic, but won't score 20 in a season, even if he starts every game, because he's not a natural finisher. He took both his goals well, and very good movement for the second, but his skill on the ball was woeful, and if he plays with limited on the ball skill, and won't score 20 a season, then what does he offer?

he needs more confidence on the ball. The best bit of him at the moment is funnily his end product. He has good crosses, and has shown good shooting technique. If the other parts improve to PL standard (off the ball and on the ball skills) then he will be a good player for us.

I saw the first half today and what struck me was that Luque was played as the leading front man, with Martins playing behind. In that position I would say Luque's main obligation was goals, just as Owen's would have been. 2 in 45 mins is hard to knock by anyone's standards, and what a lot of people here have failed to mention is they were both predator goals worthy of any striker.

Guest optimistic nit

well.. in the last 5 years he's scored 15 once, 13 once and 11 once. and scored 3 goals in 2 seasons at the toon, 1 in the PL. That tends to suggest a predatory role would not suit him.

well.. in the last 5 years he's scored 15 once, 13 once and 11 once. and scored 3 goals in 2 seasons at the toon, 1 in the PL. That tends to suggest a predatory role would not suit him.

It may also just suggest that he's never been used in a predatory roll, not that I think he's capable of it.

Luque will never be a predatory 20-a-season striker, but he's not a bad finisher and those were predatory goals. It's something he has in his locker and they were finishes worthy of any goalpoacher. If Owen scored those two we'd be saying 'typical Owen goals, right place right time cool as you like'. It's the same goal whoever scores it and personally I like to see our strikers scoring those types of goals.

If Luque ever makes it as a decent player for us it'll be more in the Laurent Robert mould IMO. Luque can whip in a cross and has a very powerful shot, and can get forward and finish moves. We haven't seen much evidence of this in a toon shirt, but then we haven't seen much of Luque in a toon shirt.

Luque resembles Robert in more ways than one, in that he shares some of the strengths and the weaknesses of the Frenchman. Robert lacked strength on the ball, lacked passion and lacked consistency, but he had the ability to whip crosses into the danger area and had a rocket in his left foot. Luque was never a trickster at Depor, but made his name as a left winger because of his ability to put the ball in the danger area and score from range (including dangerous free kicks) due to a very powerful left foot shot, much like Laurent. He played many games up front because of his finishing ability too.

If we ever do get the best out of Luque I suspect it will be in the Robert mould, that doesn't mean to say he'll have the same impact but he could be effective if played to his strengths as Bobby did with Robert.

If he can improve his match fitness it could improve his overall game. His reaction times are very slow and lethargic, and this is the main problem in premiership football you get little to no time on the ball before defenders snatch the ball off you.

As he suggests he would like a run of games to show what he can do i believe this will definitely improve his ability to react quicker(control of the ball, awareness of opponents around him etc) whether or not this improves to an acceptable level we will have to wait and see but he should at least be given a run of games to get into the swing of things i mean any player who hasn't started two games in a row for 2 years is hardly going to be at full flow, in a foreign league to what you have been used to all your professional life.

I've watched Luque since he first joined Deportivo from Mallorca and it's clear he needs match fitness more than anything, his main asset is running onto through balls and finishing them, like Ohmelads said, his crossing and shooting can be very deadly, he scored numerous free-kicks at Deportivo due to the sheer power of his shots. If we can get Luque very fit then we have a very good player on our hands, it would be a new signing.

Guest JamesyJazz

I've watched Luque since he first joined Deportivo from Mallorca and it's clear he needs match fitness more than anything, his main asset is running onto through balls and finishing them, like Ohmelads said, his crossing and shooting can be very deadly, he scored numerous free-kicks at Deportivo due to the sheer power of his shots. If we can get Luque very fit then we have a very good player on our hands, it would be a new signing.

Agree with everything you say there,very pertinant observations.

I personally feel that S.A has given Luque a very big confidence boost with his 'I wanted to sign him when at Mallorca'and by giving him the chance to prove his worth,whilst still not fully fit,against Celtic.

Guest leon b

Guys i still haven't seen the goals from the celtic game, is there anywhere i can catch them other than newcastle world?

Guest leon b

cool scottass, i've looked there already but have had no joy.cheers for trying to help.

Were luque's goals well taken? i've heard different accounts of his performance, would you say there was a big improvement?

Guest Kenton Magpie

Guys i still haven't seen the goals from the celtic game, is there anywhere i can catch them other than newcastle world?

They arent that good, anyone would have scored them tbh, mind his movement wasnt too bad so i'll grant him that

Guest optimistic nit

They arent that good, anyone would have scored them tbh, mind his movement wasnt too bad so i'll grant him that

i don't think thats true. the volleys required very good technique and timing imo.

i don't think thats true. the volleys required very good technique and timing imo.

True, the fact he was there was more encouraging than whatever finish was on the end of it, he can work on finishing.

Guest leon b

Having just seen the goals i must say that it looks as if luque has shown some desire and heart to actually get on the the end of them and tuck them away, especially for the second one where he seems to have accelerated at a resonable pace to get there.

I think that big sam has it spot on when he says confidence with play a big part in alberts inprovement, if he feels fitter theres not doubt he'll feel more confident.

That's bull.

The first one he timed his run to perfection, could easily have gone offside and cooly sidefooted it under the keeper.

The second, he could easily have smashed at the looping ball and sent it wide, instead he just controlled it towards the goal.

If it had been Owen people would have been creaming themselves.

They weren't spectacular but he's right, to control the ball when it's coming down from a height and distance takes technique and judgement. Just remains to be seen whether Luque's obvious ability in front of goal is enough to make him a worthwhile member of the squad.

Guest leon b

I think it will take sometime for luque to prove himself, i for one know he's a class player at heart and hopefully he proves it this season.

There are those fans who know he can play and are now just waiting to see him explode into life, whilst there will be others who will remain sceptical until they see consistancy, or just be harsh for the sake of it

Either way time will tell, but for now i say............ come on albert show us some magic son!!!!