Oba: dropped, rested or AWOL?

STM

Never totally convinced about Martins - very in and out, in many ways a typical African player - they show flashes of great brilliance and athleticism, but seem not to be able to get into the physical grind and intensive effort that is the Premiership(witness his suspect first touch and lack of off-ball movement).

Not all are like that(Drogba is more suited to the Prem than Martins), but bearing in mind the number playing in Europe , they should be making more of an impact.

If you look at their performances during the World Cup, only Ivory Coast looked as if they were a 'team' in the true sense. Supposed experts have been claiming that ' this time, an African team has a real chance of winning the WC', or 'it can't be long until an African side wins the WC', but I first heard that around 1974

when Zaire were in the tournament, and over 30 years later, we are still no nearer seeing it...

Incidentally, DON'T anyone start bringing up the 'Racist' tag..!! My favourite player of ALL time is Pele, and he is black - but - he's Brazilian ; that's the difference, they have a different mentality.

Would be happy to swap him for Bent or Aston(esp if Owen stays).

How was Drogba in his first year with Chelsea ? This was Martin's first season man...Give him a break will ya...

'First year' doesn't excuse lack of effort in running off the ball to find space for team mates to pass to you, OR lack of first touch.. Pace of game, yes, but he HAS plenty of that anyway..

His positional sense is down to immaturity IMO, he is an animal when he wants to be, there are plenty of other players that work less hard than he has this season,.

Its a role he is still growing into, having an inconsistent midfield and strike partner hasnt helped him.

His running into space and first touch is variable and as inconsistent as anyone else in the squad.

I really cant understand what people want of Martins. He has done extremely well for his first season, and its just a glimpse of what will only get better.

Thankfull we never had the chance of taking Berkamp, Henry or Drogba here when they first moved from the premiership, considering the way we wax lyrical at how bad Martins is it would have been an extra reason (not like they need any) for the world of football to laugh at us.

His positional sense is down to immaturity IMO, he is an animal when he wants to be, there are plenty of other players that work less hard than he has this season,.

Its a role he is still growing into, having an inconsistent midfield and strike partner hasnt helped him.

His running into space and first touch is variable and as inconsistent as anyone else in the squad.

I really cant understand what people want of Martins. He has done extremely well for his first season, and its just a glimpse of what will only get better.

Thankfull we never had the chance of taking Berkamp, Henry or Drogba here when they first moved from the premiership, considering the way we wax lyrical at how bad Martins is it would have been an extra reason (not like they need any) for the world of football to laugh at us.

Immaturity - at 22 ???

Owen was 18 when he played against Argentina in the 98 WC and scored that great goal/won a pen.

As for the comment about Bergkamp - that defies belief ; Bergkamp almost came to us in 1995 before he went to Arsenal, and he had just recovered from a bad injury.

If you think there is ANY comparison between Bergkamp(already a seasoned Dutch International at that stage)and Martins, I despair, and even more so if you think our fans would have got on his back.

Everyone knows he was a great player, which he proved many times after his Highbury move.

Martins will never be in the same class, mate.

Alonso in demand as Juve return to Serie A

By Alberto Laconi

Published: 21 May 2007

Relegated in disgrace 10 months ago for their part in the Italian matchfixing scandal, Juventus won promotion to Serie A on Saturday following their 5-1 victory over Arezzo. "We have shown once again that we are the strongest," their French international striker David Trezeguet said after the game. "Now let's party."

Trezeguet was among a clutch of big names who decided to stay with the club despite their disgrace and a season out of Serie A and the Champions League (from which they were also banned). However, their return to Serie A meant that speculation immediately intensified in Italy as to which star names would be joining them in the summer, including several now playing in the Premiership.

The Liverpool midfielders Xabi Alonso and Momo Sissoko are both thought to be on Juve's wanted list as well as the Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins. Others said to be attracting their attention are Ajax's coveted forward Klaas Jan Huntelaar, Vincenzo Iaquinta, who plays up front for Udinese and the Roma defender Cristian Chivu.

Trezeguet was among the scorers against Arezzo, as was their captain Alessandro Del Piero who scored twice. Del Piero was another star player who stayed as did the Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, Mauro Camoranesi and the Czech midfielder Pavel Nedved.

Serie B is surprisingly weak and even with a nine-point penalty Juve were able to win promotion with three games to spare. They have been managed by their former player Didier Deschamps who has managed the side with dignity, never degrading the standard of the opposition but remaining ruthlessly focused on returning to Serie A straight away.

The former France captain has been rewarded for practically begging to coach the side when few others wanted to know the club after they were demoted following the biggest scandal to hit Italian football. Juve were stripped of their 2005 and 2006 titles after former general manager Luciano Moggi and others were found guilty of a series of corrupt activities including securing favourable referees. Deschamps, who helped Juventus to European Cup glory in 1996, did not feel managing in Serie B was below him despite his achievements in coaching Monaco to the Champions League final in 2004.

His task was made more difficult by the departures of talent such as Patrick Vieira and Zlatan Ibrahimovic (who were snapped up by Internazionale) Fabio Cannavaro and Emerson (who followed manager Fabio Capello to Real) while Lilian Thuram and Gianluca Zambrotta went to Barcelona.

The demotion coincided with an already-planned switch to a smaller stadium, the Stadio Olimpico. Players and fans had long bemoaned the Stadio delle Alpi for its poor atmosphere, and the move meant the team could play in a more intimate stadium where the lower Serie B crowds would be less noticeable.

Juve made a steady start but fresh momentum came in November when their points deduction was cut to nine on appeal. They never looked back and easily secured promotion but it is now that the real work begins."In 2008 we need to be realistic," Deschamps said recently. "It will be a complicated year. For now the scudetto is a utopia."

What is clear, though, is that the club will be busy in the summer. The defence will be bulked up with Jean Alain Boumsong, who endured a nightmare spell at Newcastle United. Germany's Torsten Frings has already turned the club down though. Buffon's future is also in doubt while Trezeguet and Camoranesi could leave despite the promotion.

Note that the report about Juve states that these players are 'thought' to be on the wanted list -

Huntelaar is 'thought' to be on NUFC's wanted list(as well as that of every other decent club in Europe!), but we haven't a cat in hell's chance of signing him - if Ajax were prepared to do a deal with us of Huntelaar in exchange for Martins PLUS 5m quid, I'd snap their hands off - wouldn't you ?

No comparison between the two as far as potential effectiveness over a tough season is concerned - I'd take Huntelaar every time, and to think we could have signed him for about 3m a few years ago when he starred for Herenveen against us......!

Note that the report about Juve states that these players are 'thought' to be on the wanted list -

Huntelaar is 'thought' to be on NUFC's wanted list(as well as that of every other decent club in Europe!), but we haven't a cat in hell's chance of signing him - if Ajax were prepared to do a deal with us of Huntelaar in exchange for Martins PLUS 5m quid, I'd snap their hands off - wouldn't you ?

No comparison between the two as far as potential effectiveness over a tough season is concerned - I'd take Huntelaar every time, and to think we could have signed him for about 3m a few years ago when he starred for Herenveen against us......!

Huntelaar has been steadily improving over the last 2 years. My only reservation is the Dutch league is so weak the goalscoring stats are often misleading. I'd prefer the Peruvian boy at PSV.

Huntelaar has been steadily improving over the last 2 years. My only reservation is the Dutch league is so weak the goalscoring stats are often misleading. I'd prefer the Peruvian boy at PSV.

What a like about Huntelaar is that he is good in the air with his head...

What a like about Huntelaar is that he is good in the air with his head...

nice word play mate  mackems.gif

Farfan is a neat little player yes. But would only want him if Owen or Martins left

Can't believe some of you don't know what AWOL stands for!

Neways, best thing for the club, if his attitue stinks, then ship him out for 10 mil, he's dog s**** anyways.  Should be enough for big Sam to bring in someone who can score goals.

I have not known what it exactly means, but when i read about a player going awol i know what has happened.

But it's not that easy for everyone, especially if your'e not from England...Do you know what FITTA means for example?

Fitta means P*ssy in norwegian :-)

Hmmm... PSV is also a dutch side.. would the Peruvian kid also be mislead?  :)

Martins has been one of our best players this year. He is only 21 or 22 (so they say) and he has just had his first year adjusting to the primiership. Stop having a go at him FFS.

Petty, overly-demanding, don't appreciate all the circumstances, aren't willing to give anyone no matter how young a chance. Just how some people are.

Note, I don't have any issues with people pointing out his flaws. I do think it's sad though that some believe these can never be improved upon or eradicated, and that we should get rid at all costs, despite his goal tally for such a poor side, and importantly the fact he is only 22.