Allardyce confirmed as Newcastle manager - 3 year deal.

Paully

This man has dictated the direction of his whole management career. Never has he lost control of things.

You cant say this for too many managers, Ferguson and Wenger being the obvious exceptions.

Has anything mentioned any compensation payable to Bolton, or has the wait until the season ended actually worked?

If we have got him without having to pay, then thats another bonus, and cracking piece of business by Shepherd.

Just hope Freddy lets Sam do what needs doing, and sticks to just signing the cheques.

MJ

Cushing wouldn't talk about it.

Guest johnson293

Sorry if its been mentioned, but thought it was quite funny during the P.C. on Sky, when Allardyce was talking about money to spend, and resources, the camera cut to Freddy, and he actually grimaced (sp.) and held his ribs/chest!

Think the reality of having to spend some money was sinking in!! :D

He looked very well in the press conference! Just ordered my new jersey with Allardyce 1 printed on the back! Delighted. See you pre season big fella! I'll be flying over from Dublin to all the home games!

WTF...That was quick from Allardyce to make team changes...Already decided to replaced Given and appointed himself as NUFC No. 1 keeper for next season :lol:

thank god a manager with a plan and targets for the long term after listening to his press conference and boy do we need it .I was not keen at first but the more you think about it the more sense it makes to have the man in charge .he has done ever so well on a tight budget and prolonged and reguvenated players who were basically on the football scrap heap . maybe if we get joey barton on a free he can finish off dyer  >:D :knuppel2:

Sorry, been a bit busy today - so what happened at the press conference? Did we get a new manager?

Check the link in my previous post up

More to the point when are we going to get a decent away shirt like we had for the 95/96 season. That's the sort of question you want to be asking, Decky.

From SSN:

New Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has confirmed to Sky Sports News that he hopes to tie up a number of new signings before his squad report back for pre-season training.

It is expected to be a busy summer of arrivals and departures at St James' Park following Allardyce's appointment, with Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd ready to back his new incumbent.

Speculation is already rife as to who Allardyce will attempt to lure to the North East, and while he admits signings could well be forthcoming, the former Bolton chief has hinted that he may hold a few surprises up his sleeve.

Allardyce is eager to have his squad in place as soon as possible but it could be the case that a number of those brought in are not quite the household names, some of the club's faithful may be anticipating.

"The most important thing is probably the recruitment of new players for next season as quickly as we can," he told Sky Sports News.

"To come back for the pre-season with the majority of the squad in place is something I really hope can be achieved.

"If we can start all together then it makes life a lot easier.

"I think that there has always been funds available to bring in new players but what we have to do is make the right selection process, to make sure it is the right player, who wants to come to Newcastle and is capable of producing on this stage, on this wonderful stage at Newcastle.

"And that's not always a big player. It could be someone who everyone else has not quite heard of, but there are plenty of players out there who could come here and come to the Premiership."

It is also expected that Allardyce will make changes to the club's backroom staff but following what has been a hectic few days, he concedes it will take time before everything is put in place.

"It's been a very, very hectic few days and the decision has now been made, hopefully it will be a very successful time for me, Freddy Shepherd and everyone involved at Newcastle United - pulling in the right direction.

"You only have to look at the past in terms of recent years, I'm under no illusions. I'm under the same pressure as other managers who have been and gone and not quite achieved enough. I'm under the same pressures to deliver as soon as possible.

"But my life is not about delivering instantly but also to build something sustainable. To buy some time initially I need to get the results. Then I can build the backroom staff and playing staff to get results.

"Hopefully, I'll be able to get the same success as I have in the past four years at Bolton."

Allardyce has not yet spoken to Michael Owen, the subject of intense transfer speculation of late, but he does not envisage any problems coming to light with regards the England man.

"I haven't spoken to Michael but I'm sure that when I do he'll tell me exactly what issues he might have," Allardyce concluded.

"For me, I would have thought the only issue he would have would be to stay fit and play for England over the summer - if he's ready, if he can produce his best, he might have to play that a bit carefully."

Guest Toon83

Big Sam's The Man!

NEWCASTLE United have today announced that Mr Sam Allardyce has been appointed as team manager on a three-year contract.

Sam Says: Chairman's Passion Swung It For Me

SAM Allardyce says a meeting with chairman Freddy Shepherd convinced him to take the managerial job at Newcastle United.

Big Sam landed on Tyneside on Tuesday morning and was due to be unveiled at a Press conference at St. James' Park at 1pm, having signed a three-year contract.

Speaking as he arrived at Gallowgate, he said: "Once Freddy Shepherd make it clear he wanted me then there was no doubt where I would be going.

"After leaving Bolton Wanderers last week I was expecting a longer rest but once Freddy opened that door I was in.

"When I met Freddy I could feel his passion for Newcastle United. He is a passionate supporter and it's well known throughout football that he has always supported his managers.

"Now it is up to everyone from Freddy down to me the players and even the tea lady to give these fans the success they deserve.

"I suppose this is the greatest challenge I have ever had.

"But it is one I am excited about and one I am looking forward to. It's no secret that what has happened in the past is not good enough for a club as big as Newcastle United and it is now my job to change all that."

Sam was due to meet the United squad and staff on Tuesday morning, and insisted: "Everyone starts with a clean sheet."

Sam Says: I Want Michael To Stay

SAM Allardyce says he wants Michael Owen to be part of his Newcastle United plans, despite transfer speculation surrounding the club's record signing.

Big Sam takes over the Magpies' hot seat having signed a three-year contract at St. James' Park.

And he's hoping the Geordie fans will see a lot more of Owen in a black and white shirt after injuries have restricted him to a mere 14 appearances in two seasons since joining from Real Madrid.

Sam said: "One of the first things I will be doing is sitting down with Michael Owen and having a little chat with him.

"I will be asking him does he want to stay with us or go? Obviously I would like him to stay because he has that rare commodity of being able to score goals.

"What I think Michael needs is more time to get on track for us and hopefully he will decide to take that time."

Sam Says: Club Before Country For Me

SAM Allardyce says his thoughts are only about being successful as the new man in charge of Newcastle United - and is not interested in talk suggesting he could be the next England boss.

Big Sam flew into Tyneside on Tuesday morning and was to be unveiled at a St. James' Park Press conference at 1pm having signed a three-year contract with the Magpies.

On the England subject, he stressed: "England is not for me. I believe Steve McClaren is secure in his job for a while now although maybe things would change if we did not qualify for the European finals.

"But that would have nothing to do with me. I had a good run the last time but now I am focussing on the job of managing Newcastle United, just like I did with Bolton Wanderers when I did not get the England job last year.

"Don't forget being manager of Newcastle United is a massive job and I am not thinking about anything else other than try to bring success to this football club."

A busy summer lies ahead for Sam, who admits the signing of Gary Speed from Newcastle remains one of his best pieces of business.

He said: "Gary Speed is one of the best signings I have made in my managerial career. It is terrific that he is still playing such good football as this late stage in his career.

"He was a signing I thought a lot about and now I have to make some signings for Newcastle United and there a few players around Europe who I am sure will do a good job for us.

"But I will be careful who I recruit. What we need at Newcastle United are not good players but players who have the mentality to play in front of 52,000 supporters every week.

"To play every week in a stadium like St James' Park is really a daunting task and I have got to find players for us who can handle the big stage and step into a great arena.

"We will be building a club with infrastructure and one for the future and if it happens in the short term all well and good."

Sam Says: Long Ball Jibes A Joke

SAM Allardyce has laughed off critics who have accused him of long ball tactics as a manager.

During his successful era at Bolton Wanderers, the Reebok outfit often had to put up with jibes saying they played a direct game.

But the new man in the hot seat at Newcastle United simply shrugs such talk off, saying: "This is a tag which has been labelled on Bolton Wanderers because we were so good at our jobs.

"Some of the big teams used to use it as an excuse because they could not beat us and it is a figment of their imagination.

"The only tactics I know are those which win matches and that's what we did at Bolton Wanderers and what I am hoping and expecting to do here.

"I feel I have achieved a little bit in my career but I want to achieve a lot more here at Newcastle United."I will expect all my staff to work 24-7 just like I will be doing.

"We will be working as a family unit and it does not matter if we don't like each other because our only aim to is bring success to this football club.

"In the end that comes down to the players on the field, and everything I and my staff do will be designed to give the players all our support."

Sam Says: Team Spirit Key

SAM Allardyce believes he will only achieve success at Newcastle United by installing a team spirit throughout the whole club.

The 52-year-old Toon gaffer is adamant that his players will fight for each other on the pitch and show the determination that has typified him as both a player and manager.

Big Sam told Newcastle World TV: "We will achieve nothing without team spirit and that is one of the first things I will set about doing.

"If the club has problems in that department then it is my job to sort it out and I can do that.

"The only way we will achieve success is by getting a team spirit where the players fight for each other.

"I want to put in a structure that will be successful for Newcastle United, and that means both on and off the field."

SAM ALLARDYCE FACTFILE

Biography

Sam Allardyce was born on 19 October 1954 in Dudley, West Midlands. He grew up on Dudley's Wren's Nest Estate and was educated at Sycamore Green Primary School and later at Wren's Nest Secondary School.

In taking over at St. James' Park, it will be his fourth managerial post in the English Leagues following spells at Blackpool, Notts County and Bolton Wanderers.

Sam's professionalism and enthusiasm for the game were carried from his playing career to life as a manager and it is those traits which made him the ideal choice for Newcastle United.

Playing Career

Sam Allardyce arrived at Burnden Park in 1969 as a 15-year old and turned professional with the Wanderers in November 1973. He made his league debut in November 1973 and was a regular member of the successful Wanderers sides in the mid 1970s who twice narrowly missed out on promotion to the old First Division. In 1978 he won a Second Division Championship medal with Bolton.

A tough, rugged no-nonsense centre-half, Sam, after a total of 214 first class games (184 league and Cup) left the Wanderers to join Sunderland in 1980 for a fee of £150,000.

When his spell at Roker Park came to an end he then played for Millwall, Tampa Bay Rowdies, Coventry City and Huddersfield Town before returning to Burnden Park for another spell in 1985. He only managed 14 appearances in his one season back in Bolton and then joined neighbours Preston North End where he helped them to win promotion from the old Fourth Division in 1987.

Full Record

1973-80 - Bolton Wanderers  184  (21)

1980-81 - Sunderland  25  (2)

1981-83 - Millwall  63  (2)

1983 - Tampa Bay Rowdies --

1983-84 - Coventry City  28  (1)

1984-85 - Huddersfield Town  37  (0)

1985-86 - Bolton Wanderers  14  (0)

1986-89 - Preston North End  90  (2)

1989-91 - West Bromwich Albion  1  (0)

1991-92 - Limerick --

1992  Preston North End  3  (0)

Total  445  (28)

Managerial Career

Sam Allardyce commenced his coaching career in football in his native West Midlands with West Bromwich Albion (as Assistant to Brian Talbot) whilst still playing for The Baggies. He then became Assistant Manager at Preston North End and Sunderland.

He became manager of Limerick in Ireland before taking charge at Blackpool. Whilst at Bloomfield Road he took The Tangerines to the 1996 Second Division play-off final. In 1997 he took charge of Notts County and won the Third Division Championship in 1998.

At Meadow Lane he won promotion at the first attempt by finishing top of Division Three at the end of the 1997/98 season. Notts County broke several club and national records, winning the title by 19 points and becoming the first post-war side to win promotion in mid-March.

Sam returned 'home' to Wanderers in October 1999 (taking over from Colin Todd on his 45th birthday) and in his first season at the Reebok Stadium, he guided them to the semi-finals of the FA Cup, League Cup and the First Division Play-Offs.

The following season, Wanderers put the disappointment of the previous season's play-off defeat behind them to record an emphatic 3-0 victory over Preston North End in the First Division Play-Off Final at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium. That result earned Wanderers promotion to the Premiership for the first time since 1997.

Allardyce enjoyed an excellent spell with Wanderers, witness consecutive finishing positions for the Trotters of eighth, sixth, eighth and seventh in the past four Premiership seasons. They also reached the Carling Cup Final in 2004, losing to Middlesbrough.

In 2005/06, Allardyce enjoyed the distinction of becoming the first manager in Bolton's history to lead out a Wanderers side in a competitive European fixture (UEFA Cup). Such was the reputation that Allardyce acquired during his tenure at the Reebok Stadium, the Football Association interviewed him for the England Head Coach's job, losing out to Steve McClaren.

Last season, although leaving at the end of April, his last match being a 2 - 2 draw at Chelsea, Wanderers once again clinched a spot in the UEFA Cup.

His experiences Stateside saw Allardyce apply many practices to football in this country (with regards to training, player management and tactics) and these innovative ideas helped him progress in football management.

Part of his reason for leaving Bolton was because he wanted to win silverware and he said recently, "I have had praise for what I've done, but there's nothing at the end of it. I want silverware. I'm determined to get it before my days are over."

Sam Says: I'm Ready For Toon Challenge

SAM Allardyce has revealed that there was "very little to think about" when it came to his decision over the Newcastle United's manager's position.

The former Bolton boss had the chance to manage the Magpies three years ago, and admitted at the time that it was the hardest decision of his life to say no to United.

But the 52-year-old believes he is now ready for the challenge at Gallowgate and admits he is excited about working for what he calls a "massive football club".

Big Sam told Newcastle World TV: "It's fantastic to be here and I'm very, very excited.

"I had the chance a couple of years ago to come here, but I feel I'm ready now and very much looking forward to it.

"I'm ambitious and I want to bring the success that the fans and the city so desperately want and deserve, and I hope I can do that.

"The decision to come here did not take much thinking about, it's a huge football club with fantastic fans and great resources.

"This club is massive in terms of what it can achieve and I need to make sure that the players I bring in want to play for me and Newcastle United."

source - nufc.co.uk

Big Sam targets signings

New Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has confirmed to Sky Sports News that he hopes to tie up a number of new signings before his squad report back for pre-season training.

It is expected to be a busy summer of arrivals and departures at St James' Park following Allardyce's appointment, with Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd ready to back his new incumbent.

Speculation is already rife as to who Allardyce will attempt to lure to the North East, and while he admits signings could well be forthcoming, the former Bolton chief has hinted that he may hold a few surprises up his sleeve.

Allardyce is eager to have his squad in place as soon as possible but it could be the case that a number of those brought in are not quite the household names, some of the club's faithful may be anticipating.

"The most important thing is probably the recruitment of new players for next season as quickly as we can," he told Sky Sports News.

"To come back for the pre-season with the majority of the squad in place is something I really hope can be achieved.

"If we can start all together then it makes life a lot easier.

"I think that there has always been funds available to bring in new players but what we have to do is make the right selection process, to make sure it is the right player, who wants to come to Newcastle and is capable of producing on this stage, on this wonderful stage at Newcastle.

"And that's not always a big player. It could be someone who everyone else has not quite heard of, but there are plenty of players out there who could come here and come to the Premiership."

It is also expected that Allardyce will make changes to the club's backroom staff but following what has been a hectic few days, he concedes it will take time before everything is put in place.

"It's been a very, very hectic few days and the decision has now been made, hopefully it will be a very successful time for me, Freddy Shepherd and everyone involved at Newcastle United - pulling in the right direction.

"You only have to look at the past in terms of recent years, I'm under no illusions. I'm under the same pressure as other managers who have been and gone and not quite achieved enough. I'm under the same pressures to deliver as soon as possible.

"But my life is not about delivering instantly but also to build something sustainable. To buy some time initially I need to get the results. Then I can build the backroom staff and playing staff to get results.

"Hopefully, I'll be able to get the same success as I have in the past four years at Bolton."

Allardyce has not yet spoken to Michael Owen, the subject of intense transfer speculation of late, but he does not envisage any problems coming to light with regards the England man.

"I haven't spoken to Michael but I'm sure that when I do he'll tell me exactly what issues he might have," Allardyce concluded.

"For me, I would have thought the only issue he would have would be to stay fit and play for England over the summer - if he's ready, if he can produce his best, he might have to play that a bit carefully."

http://msnsport.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=466824&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=&title=Big+Sam+eyes+signings

This man is genius.

Someone at last who knows what he is doing.

He'll bring success to Newcastle.Im 100% sure

Guest the_guv_nor

Sorry if its been mentioned, but thought it was quite funny during the P.C. on Sky, when Allardyce was talking about money to spend, and resources, the camera cut to Freddy, and he actually grimaced (sp.) and held his ribs/chest!

Think the reality of having to spend some money was sinking in!! :D

Aye, pissed me self when i seen that!

Fuck sake i wanna hear more from him but we'll probably have to wait until the mornings papers go online in the early hours now  :(

A Newcastle fan wanting to here more from his manager?

Great isn't it.

Can't wait until the signings kick in, even more excited to see some of the cunts leave the club as well.